The anger at Pedro's CV

Are the people who want to rip into Pedros CV the same fans who foam over wanting McInnes as the next manager because his CV isn't exactly great either if your looking at achievements, 1st division league winner and league cup winner.

I'm not wanting McInnes, but he does have a greater understanding of the Scottish game than Pedro and is producing better results with a team weaker than ours (on paper anyway).

A good cv is not always the barometer of how a coach settles in and performs. There have been some very successful coaches who did not have a good cv

CV of previous Rangers managers

William Wilton - internal appointment, no managerial experience
Bill Struth - internal appointment, no managerial experience
Scott Symon - East Fife & Preston
Dave White -Clyde
Willie Waddell - Kilmarnock
Jock Wallace - Berwick
John Greig - internal appointment, no managerial experience
Graeme Souness - no managerial experience
Walter Smith - internal appointment, no managerial experience
Dick Advocaat - SVV/Dordrecht, Holland, PSV Eindhoven
Alex McLesh - Motherwell, Hibs
Paul LeGuen - Rennes, Lyon
Ally McCoist - internal appointment, no managerial experience
Stuart McCall - Bradford, Motherwell
Mark Warburton - Brentford

I'd say Pedro's cv looks better than all bar 2.

You don't hire people just on the basis of what they've done - you choose them on what you think they'll do in future.

I can see your point but we couldn't afford a bigger name manager, or I would assume or expect that we would have had him.

This is rubbish

Paolo Sergio, the former Portugese Hearts manager, arguably had a better pedigree than Caixinha

So did Pardew

Sure, we're not going to be attracting big names, but to suggest Caixinha was the best of the bunch is madness

Dave White -Clyde
Jock Wallace - Berwick

You don't hire people just on the basis of what they've done - you choose them on what you think they'll do in future.

You do know that Waddell won the top flight with Kilmarnock?

Wallace and Smith were, to an extent, risks but had impressed as assistants and took on much of the coaching responsibility.

Wilton, Struth and Symon were from a completely different era so in no way comparable.

Pedro Caixinha is currently the head coach of Rangers Football Club. He joined Scottish Premiership club Rangers on a three-year deal on 11st of March 2017, after worked 2 seasons in Al-Gharafa in Qatar.

Before the experience in Qatar, Pedro Caixinha was working in Club Santos Laguna as head coach. He won all the Mexican trophies in season 2014/15 (Mexican Cup Apertura 2014, Mexican League Clausura 2015, and Mexican “Campeón de Campeones” 2015), as well as achieved the final of CONCACAF Champions League 2013. On 15th of August 2015, after won all of this, Caixinha decided to quit to work in Al-Gharafa.

In addition to academic License and Master Degree in Sports Science (namely in Methodology of Football Training), Pedro Caixinha have also the highest international level License for a Football Coach <UEFA PRO>, taken at the F.P.F. – Portuguese Football Federation.

Pedro started his career as Head Coach in the year 1999 (with 28 years of age), in his hometown football club C. D. Beja, coaching the young and the main teams during a period of 4 years. After that, he moved to the neighbor city of Vidigueira, to coach C. F. Vasco da Gama during 1 year, when he traveled to Lisbon, to make part of the world-renowned Scouting Department of Sporting Clube de Portugal, club where he started to work as Assistant Coach as well, in 2004.

After Sporting C.P. reached the final of the UEFA Cup, he leaved the club and continued to work as Assistant Coach of José Peseiro in Al-Hilal F. C. of Saudi Arabia, Panathinaikos of Greece, Rapid Bucharest of Romania and National Team of Saudi Arabia where, besides Assistant of the main National Team, he was challenged to take charge of the K.S.A. Olympic Team in 2010, leading the “Project LONDON 2012”, when he received an invitation to return to Portugal and start coaching at the highest level, as Head Coach, in the Super League club U. D. Leiria. One year later he was asked to lead the project of the C. D. Nacional of Madeira.

On December 2012, Pedro Caixinha signed with Club Santos Laguna of Mexico and Managed the team during almost 3 years, until August 2015.

During the first period of one and half years in charge of the team (3 tournaments), he achieved the Playoffs (La Liguilla) of the Mexican League (LigaMX), 3 consecutive times, reaching always the semifinals of the competition.

Meanwhile, he qualified the club to the Final of the CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2013 and achieved the historical qualification for the CONMEBOL COPA LIBERTADORES 2014 (the 2nd time in the history of the club Santos Laguna, 10 years after their 1st and unique participation until that moment).

At the end of the season 2013/14, Pedro Caixinha was on the “Football Coach World Ranking”:

• The 36th best football coach of the world
  • The 3rd best Portuguese football coach working worldwide
Following the Apertura 2014 tournament, on October 2014, he achieved the title of CopaMX (MEXICAN CUP), for the first time ever, in the history of the Club.

Showing and proving the excellence of the work made by Pedro Caixinha’s coach team, Club Santos Laguna was named “the 2014 BEST CLUB of all CONCACAF region”, by the IFFHS (International Federation of Football History and Statistics) on the “Club World Ranking 2014” annual report, published on January 13, 2015, where Club Santos Laguna is listed, for the first time ever, in the group of the best 100 clubs of the world, coming in the 58th position, of the Best Clubs of the World.

Following the amazing achievements of 2014 described above, Pedro Caixinha started 2015 doing a deep restructuring/renewal on the squad, where the most valuable, experimented and influential players of the team left the club, transforming the team to the youngest squad of the LigaMX (average 23,5 YO). Even so, he achieved sensationally the title of Champion of LigaMX (MEXICAN LEAGUE)!

With this title, Pedro Caixinha is the most victorious coach in the history of the club and the first European coach to win the LigaMX in the last 35 years!

Personally, he was awarded by the LigaMX (Mexican League) with the Trophy of the Best Coach in Mexico!

Immediately after that, in the beginning of Apertura 2015, Pedro Caixinha achieved another historical Trophy with Club Santos Laguna, the Campeón de Campeones 2015 (1st time ever in the history of the Club), beating America FC in the Final, and fixing 3 Stars with his name in Santos Laguna’s Stadium!

After this last achievement, Pedro Caixinha decided to leave the Club Santos Laguna, on August 15th, 2015…

Pedro Caixinha, is known for his strong and determined character, with great leadership and work spirit (as a team and for the team) where he shows his immense entrepreneurial capacity, putting in practice a modern and innovative training methodology, idealizing, using and taking advantage of new technologies that we currently have available and that are both pleasing to all athletes, motivating and strengthening the unity of the working group, thereby enhancing the final results to be achieved.

His strongest concept is “dominating all the moments of the game”.

http://football.fmh.ulisboa.pt/speaker/pedro-caixinha/

Where to even start with this?

You're obviously not in the game of hiring people :rolleyes:
You do know that Waddell won the top flight with Kilmarnock?

Wallace and Smith were, to an extent, risks but had impressed as assistants and took on much of the coaching responsibility.

Wilton, Struth and Symon were from a completely different era so in no way comparable.

I wasn’t necessarily making a like for like comparison with Struth and Wilton. Symon I disagree a bit in that I’d consider him right at the crossover to modern managers.

However the main point I was making is that it’s rare for Rangers to appoint a manager with an impressive cv. The big name managers we’ve had weren’t big names before they came to Rangers. And their previous success or lack thereof wasn’t a reliable predictor of how they’d do at Rangers.

Dave White -Clyde
Jock Wallace - Berwick

Walter Smith was asst manager to Jim McLean he also coached Scotland at Youth level when they won the European youth championship he went on to coach the under 21's then went to Mexico WC as asst manager to Alex Ferguson.

If he doesn't get a result tonight then I think he will be posting his CV on job websites tomorrow morning.

Haven't read this thread but I'm assuming it'll degenerate into Pedro slagging, man's out of his depth, can't string three wins together repeated ad nauseum???

I'm heading off to Ibrox, come on the Teds!
Three points please!
Let's get there, and get singing and make Ibrox rock! :):):):):)

Looking at Pedro's previous clubs, I see that he only held one managerial post for 2 years or more. I also recall Al Gharafa making no tangible attempt to keep him when we made our move.

It would be great if someone on the selection committee could give an outline as to how they reached their decision.

I wasn’t necessarily making a like for like comparison with Struth and Wilton. Symon I disagree a bit in that I’d consider him right at the crossover to modern managers.

However the main point I was making is that it’s rare for Rangers to appoint a manager with an impressive cv. The big name managers we’ve had weren’t big names before they came to Rangers. And their previous success or lack thereof wasn’t a reliable predictor of how they’d do at Rangers.

It is a fair enough point. Personally I don’t know why people are so snobbish about McInnes.

If we’d spent buttons in the summer I’d agree with your point but the fact that we paid several hundred grand in compensation, gave Pedro a 3 year deal and over £8m to spend in the summer would suggest we’d have perhaps been better spending some of that money bringing in a manager with a better pedigree.

Spot on.

At the time we appointed Pedro, Claudio Ranieri had just been sacked and was free. He'd have been perfect for us.

Finding a big name manager who is willing to balance his wage against the transfer budget - which won't be as high as last season without investment - won't be easy.

Looking at Pedro's previous clubs, I see that he only held one managerial post for 2 years or more. I also recall Al Gharafa making no tangible attempt to keep him when we made our move.

It would be great if someone on the selection committee could give an outline as to how they reached their decision.

I think that's what's important. PC hasn't lied on his CV, his history is available for anyone to google. Normal business practice you pick the best 6-8 CV's that match the role and interview them. So who ever did the sift, interview and decision is the one at fault. His CV would probably not even get through the sift which makes me think "shenanigans" others have alluded to.

There are more than a few on here shouting for PC's head and questioning the process behind his appointment.

Wether he is a success in time remains to be seen, but I think questioning his appointment is nonsense.
Attracting players and managers is challenging. Established managers with pedigree and impressive CV's are in high demand just as players are. Our model for bringing in quality players is to aim for young players on the rise as a priority. People like Morelos are the very template for what player recruitment needs to be for clubs like us. High perceived potential that's not yet been fully realised.
That's what we have tried with PC, a manager with perceived potential that's not yet been realised.

Pedro has had his time and chances.

Never mind Pedro's CV. The real damage was done by the utter buffoons who appointed him.
These imbeciles have done great damage to the club and are getting off far far too lightly.

Back