The Athletic - 2016 Scottish Cup semi

i know there's been a few threads on it but is the athletic worth the price? something inside me isn't sure about paying £60 a year

i know there's been a few threads on it but is the athletic worth the price? something inside me isn't sure about paying £60 a year

It depends what you’d use it for, if it’s just to read Rangers content then no as there are usually only 2-3 articles per week, if you like long read articles about football then It’s worth it, it’s especially worth it if you like US sports as it has superb coverage of them.

as has been pointed out you can get it much cheaper than £60, I believe you can get a free 90 day trial at the moment.

Christ. Diddy team stuff.

A day that means very little to me now.

We were a league below the Yahoos and still beat them. We absolutely should make something of it.

I think too many fans forget where we were in 2016 hence the petulant crying over losing the Final (“ah’ll never forgive Warburton for that”) completely forgetting that Hibs had beaten us 6 times in the previous two seasons and had been our main challengers that season.

We were a league below the Yahoos and still beat them. We absolutely should make something of it.

I think too many fans forget where we were in 2016 hence the petulant crying over losing the Final (“ah’ll never forgive Warburton for that”) completely forgetting that Hibs had beaten us 6 times in the previous two seasons and had been our main challengers that season.
We lost the final what the %^*& does a semi final mean? We’ve then came up and they’ve won everything available

Can’t agree.

We were 2-1 up with 80 mins on the clock.

All season we knew (and from subsequent interviews we know that the players knew) we were terrible at defensive set pieces. “We never practiced them” to quote Clint Hill in regard to Warburton.

We then lost two goals in the last 10 mins to set pieces. No wonder people blame Warburton.

4 years later we still haven’t won a major trophy and that would have been a real monkey off our back.

We lost the final what the %^*& does a semi final mean? We’ve then came up and they’ve won everything available

In the context of where we were and where we’d been, it was a huge win and an absolute sickener for them. Why not enjoy it? It will never be repeated.

Do people not enjoy looking back at the McCoist-Albertz 98 semi win on the grounds that we then lost the Final? What a way to live your life.

In the context of where we were and where we’d been, it was a huge win and an absolute sickener for them. Why not enjoy it? It will never be repeated.

Do people not enjoy looking back at the McCoist-Albertz 98 semi win on the grounds that we then lost the Final? What a way to live your life.

Lyon, Fiorentina...

I understand that also enjoyed both but 2016 hurts a lot as it was really in our hands maybe feel it more due to the years of failure we’ve had

It was a great feeling that day. But eulogising a one-off cup win years later is something you'd expect from Clyde or Inverness. Especially when we were quite lucky to get to extra time in the first place and they went on to absolutely bitch-slap us for the next 2 years - probably thanks in no small part to the result that day.

Can’t agree.

We were 2-1 up with 80 mins on the clock.

All season we knew (and from subsequent interviews we know that the players knew) we were terrible at defensive set pieces. “We never practiced them” to quote Clint Hill in regard to Warburton.

We then lost two goals in the last 10 mins to set pieces. No wonder people blame Warburton.

4 years later we still haven’t won a major trophy and that would have been a real monkey off our back.

Hibs had beaten us a month earlier. They were two broadly comparable teams. It was hardly a shock. it was a sore one to take but why does that mean we can’t ever talk about the time we beat the Yahoos when we were in the First Division? A year earlier the Yahoos had wanted a cricket score against us. It was a huge result for us.

It was a great feeling that day. But eulogising a one-off cup win years later is something you'd expect from Clyde or Inverness. Especially when we were quite lucky to get to extra time in the first place and they went on to absolutely bitch-slap us for the next 2 years - probably thanks in no small part to the result that day.

Disappointment is always over the horizon. It’s best not to let it affect your enjoyment.

The Yahoos got rid of their manager. That’s how much it bothered them.

Disappointment is always over the horizon. It’s best not to let it affect your enjoyment.

The Yahoos got rid of their manager. That’s how much it bothered them.

Well yeah - which ended up being a very bad thing for us. Another thing that takes the shine off it for me.

Hibs had beaten us a month earlier. They were two broadly comparable teams. It was hardly a shock. it was a sore one to take but why does that mean we can’t ever talk about the time we beat the Yahoos when we were in the First Division? A year earlier the Yahoos had wanted a cricket score against us. It was a huge result for us.

I wasn’t talking about the Celtic game. We were awful in the game against Hibs, and leading heading into the last 10 minutes, we should never have lost the game in regular time.

Warburton’s team had a warm up against Spurs u18 team, for a Scottish Cup final. We were underprepared in almost every area.

I signed up the other day on half price offer. £29.99 for the year. Lots of good content particularly if, like me, you are also a fan of American sports

Christ. Diddy team stuff.

A day that means very little to me now.

This was a massive day in terms of our recovery as a club.

It wasn't very long since the days where we seriously were concerned if our club would exist. We then had 3 bleak years of grim lower league football where they only shining light was our loyalty.

It all led up to this match where, for the first time in many many years, the team gave us something to be proud of. The emotions from that night won't ever be forgotten.

As the years go on, it maybe loses it's significance somewhat. I'm fairly sure it worked against us as it gave Celtic the rocket they needed before we returned to the Premier League.

What it meant to us at the time shouldn't be forgotten though.

Putting the final and following season aside that day was honestly one of the best days I've had following Rangers and always will be.

For fans around my age, born during 9 in a row and in school for Walter's second spell, our whole adult lives has been them lording it over us. That day was the first and arguably the only day we have had where it really felt like we were in charge.

The red, white and blue painted kerbs, banners over the motorway, outplaying them on the pitch and outsinging them in the stands and then to win on penalties. I'd never experienced a day like it before and haven't since outwith a couple of league wins.

Is this how far our ambitions have fallen where we are supposed to be joyful we made a Scottish cup final 4 years ago.

Our support are now conditioned to accept below par sub standard levels now imo.

Gerrard has lifted standards and I’m as guilty as anyone of making excuses for our failure to lift a trophy over these past 2 seasons but we now have to get back to demanding trophies and success because while we are celebrating court battles and kit deals that mob have cleaned up again.

To say I’m stunned he has penned an article about a howling failure to lift a trophy that was on a plate for us is a understatement.

We are better that this and we have to be better that this.

Since I'm stuck in the house with nothing to spend my cash on I signed up for a year on half price. Some of the articles are really good. I've only been on it for a week and there is some very good Rangers related content.

They had a long interview with Defoe talking about goalscoring and they would have a clip of a goal with him explaining his movement etc which was pretty interesting.

Is this how far our ambitions have fallen where we are supposed to be joyful we made a Scottish cup final 4 years ago.

Our support are now conditioned to accept below par sub standard levels now imo.

Gerrard has lifted standards and I’m as guilty as anyone of making excuses for our failure to lift a trophy over these past 2 seasons but we now have to get back to demanding trophies and success because while we are celebrating court battles and kit deals that mob have cleaned up again.

To say I’m stunned he has penned an article about a howling failure to lift a trophy that was on a plate for us is a understatement.

We are better that this and we have to be better that this.

I've not read the article but I don't really see an issue with discussing it. There is no way it should be received as a great achievement but it's part of our history and there is no point pretending it didn't happen.

I was as gutted as anyone that day but before the season started if you were told we would canter the league and reach a Scottish Cup final you would have bitten your hand off for it.

That's a bit of a nonsense argument. In the grand scheme of things winning the final was the important bit, but to say it didn't mean anything is revisionism. We beat the scum while in a lower division and pretty much controlled the game. It was a very emotional day and an absolutely fantastic result.

I've not read the article but I don't really see an issue with discussing it. There is no way it should be received as a great achievement but it's part of our history and there is no point pretending it didn't happen.

I was as gutted as anyone that day but before the season started if you were told we would canter the league and reach a Scottish Cup final you would have bitten your hand off for it.

Losing that final did so much damage to that team it carried on into the next season imo.

Losing that final did so much damage to that team it carried on into the next season imo.

I would say it still has an effect to this day. I had the feeling going in to that game that it could really change the club movig forward. Still feel that the first trophy we win since 2012 will really kick us on, unfortunately we are still waiting to find out if that's the case.

It was either going to be the making or breaking of Warburton. It was the latter.

The game was a reflection of Warburton's first season: inability to defend set pieces, mentally weak, no organisation or structure.

Oh, and we win the game if Hibs beat Falkirk in the play off finals. I'll never understand the delight that greeted the end of that game on here.

That final is probably my biggest frustration. As mentioned above, if we won it, it gets the "winning something" monkey off our backs and gives us something tangible to build on.

Back