The Athletic discuss the potential sale of Morelos

If he's fat, I'll say he's fat
Does anyone think BCD will change the way alfie plays ?

He massively feeds of the fans and loves nothing more than nodding along to his songs and celebrating with the fans.

It might just take away his fire and that little extra bit of fight.

Maybe a good thing for his discipline if he isnt as worked up.

Thoughts ?

Does anyone know if you are automatically charged after your first month or is it easy to cancel? Always wanted to try the free months trial but didn’t want to commit to subscribing.

Walter Smith used to say "he gave the ref a decision to make"
2 yellow cards within 30 seconds v Ufa ? Referee picking on him?
Red card when Brown conned him ? Ref picking on him?
2nd yellow v Aberdeen when they're down to 10 men ? Ref again ?
Red card v Aberdeen when tangled with McKenna who was going off for violent conduct ? Ref ?
2nd yellow v Motherwell ? Ref ?
Yellow v Ayr (?) misses league cup semi
Yellow v Braga, misses 2nd leg
I thought he was very unlucky v bheasts for 2nd yellow.
7 red cards (1 rescinded), at least 3 suspensions in cup ties, plus extra games banned under totting up rule. Between 15 and 20 games missed in last 2 seasons (no red cards in 1st season when we were rotten)
Nail on the head. He can’t be trusted sadly as much as I wish it wasn’t the case. Can’t afford our best player to miss 10 games this season through stupidity.

MORELOS must stay, I have more trust in Alfredo than Tavernier, Goldson, Clancy and And other biased refs who have cost us more in my humble opinion.

We absolutely should not be looking to sell.

He is far too important to our success on the pitch.

We should be forced to sell because of a massive offer, and nothing else.
Yes, every player has their price but when they are so important that price is massively inflated.
For that reason we should not entertain any offer until it surpasses that massively inflated price.

I doubt that offer will come in this window, under current circumstances.
I’d be ready for Aberdeen and I haven’t trained in twenty years.

Ok, what are you basing this on? When we came back from the winter break Defoe scored in 3 out of the first 4 games back and dragged us to a couple of wins. He also scored more than morelos in the league and was the most efficient striker in the country per minute played (despite many of his appearances being off the bench). He actually scored once every 77 minutes compared to morelos 137 minutes so nearly twice as efficient. I get that he's 37, but some people are desperate to make out that he's finished when in reality we'd have been up shit street in the league even more so without his goals than Alfie's.

Before anyone has a fit, I'm not saying that he should be our starting striker or even starting a lot of games but the fact is, if you need goals (especially against the dross) then Defoe will score, nothing shows that he's diminishing in that sense.
I’m basing it on the fact Defoe did his hammy chasing after a ball and iirc he even admitted he was not match fit to play 4 or 5 games in a row after being a bit part player for weeks . I’m not slagging the guy ffs I’m saying at 37 he’s more prone to getting niggly injuries . I love the guy for his professionalism but we need back up for Alfie or some one who actually challenged him on a weekly basis to make him know if he’s not performing then this player is waiting and will come in and do it .
You’ve said Defoe is great against the dross so is Alfie ..

I’m basing it on the fact Defoe did his hammy chasing after a ball and iirc he even admitted he was not match fit to play 4 or 5 games in a row after being a bit part player for weeks . I’m not slagging the guy ffs I’m saying at 37 he’s more prone to getting niggly injuries . I love the guy for his professionalism but we need back up for Alfie or some one who actually challenged him on a weekly basis to make him know if he’s not performing then this player is waiting and will come in and do it .
You’ve said Defoe is great against the dross so is Alfie ..

Domestically every time Defoe came in he did well and then some. As I said, he actually outperformed Alfy by a significant margin in the league yet that still never gave him a kick up the arse. Perhaps Morelos has just got the sort of personality that means that he'll blow hot and cold and lose focus, one things for sure if we bring in another striker to push morelos for his place then that will cost significant money. We can't afford to have a 2/3/4 million pound signing sitting on the bench nor would they be happy to. Defoe cost us £0 in transfer fees and no one in the squad bettered his domestic goal return last season, Morelos or otherwise. If we're going to spend money then it has to be on a goalscoring central midfielder, our biggest positional problem doesn't lie in the forward department imo.

Does anyone know if you are automatically charged after your first month
I’m not sure mate but one thing I’ll say is it’s well worth the tenner a month I pay.

Jordon Campbell’s articles are top drawer.
Cheers mate, reckon I’ll sign up. Good to hear the Rangers stuff is good but some of the other stories catch my attention.

If we can replace him with a proven goalscorer then we should sell him.If not he simply has to stay
He is a proven goalscorer, but also a proven liability. like the poster above you said, the team has been built around him for 2 years, where has that got us exactly on the domestic front?
I think we all love him, but at the same time we have to admit that its time to move him on for the best fee we can get, re invest the money and hopefully have more options re playing style and personnel

I really hope we get at least one more year with him, but if there is a suggestion he will depart we need to set a strict deadline by which any acceptable transfer fee has to be received

It will absolutely kill our season if we sell him late without any time to reinvest the money from his sale. Nor can we afford to be going on for several weeks into the season with uncertainty still being in place

He is a proven goalscorer, but also a proven liability. like the poster above you said, the team has been built around him for 2 years, where has that got us exactly on the domestic front?
I think we all love him, but at the same time we have to admit that its time to move him on for the best fee we can get, re invest the money and hopefully have more options re playing style and personnel
We need to find another 20+ goals a season striker to replace him who has the same workrate.
Roofe would seem the ideal replacement if a deal can be done there.

Love the wee man, he has given us some cracking moments.. but is sadly unreliable over the full course of a season. If we can get a decent whack for him would be tempted to cash in and try and get several other additions to try and bring up the overall squad level up.

Nice piece in The Athletic tells us of what Morelos and his camp favours next in terms of a move and the bid from the Middle East that he turned down some weeks ago among other things.

And how selling Morelos could be the pathway to a title challenge.

Is selling Alfredo Morelos the way for Rangers to trade their way to the title?
https://theathletic.com/1925244/202...rs-steven-gerrard/?source=user_shared_article
I think the board, have a huge dilemma on their hands.

Do they go all out and do everything in their power, which due to the times we find ourselves in ...may not even be enough to stop 10.
Or do they say to Gerrard and Co. we want you to stay for years to come, and build for the future.
And if that means sacrificing the league for this season...then so be it!
But if they do that, do they risk alienating the support?

We have come on ‘leaps and bounds’ since Gerrard arrived, especially in Europe.
But domestically we are still weak.Mentally we are still weak.God knows why, because this squad has beaten some of the best teams in Europe, but yet can’t handle Kilmarnock, or Livingston, or Hamilton!
This squad have proven for seasons now, they can’t handle the mentality, of the scottish game, or the biased media, that are just willing them to lose!

Morelos alone is a dilemma.
His goals will be missed if he moves, and on his game has proven he is unplayable, But then then there is Hyde.Who can appear anytime, and can cost you games, and valuable points!

Or is Morelos the key factor in stopping them?

Stick or twist?

I don’t envy them.

Another week another article from the same journalist cleverly done to hype up interest it's blatantly obvious we want to sell him btw.

Domestically every time Defoe came in he did well and then some. As I said, he actually outperformed Alfy by a significant margin in the league yet that still never gave him a kick up the arse. Perhaps Morelos has just got the sort of personality that means that he'll blow hot and cold and lose focus, one things for sure if we bring in another striker to push morelos for his place then that will cost significant money. We can't afford to have a 2/3/4 million pound signing sitting on the bench nor would they be happy to. Defoe cost us £0 in transfer fees and no one in the squad bettered his domestic goal return last season, Morelos or otherwise. If we're going to spend money then it has to be on a goalscoring central midfielder, our biggest positional problem doesn't lie in the forward department imo.

Bollocks. Defoe got to start at home
Against the weaker sides and grabbed goals late in games when teams were down. At no point was he ever outperforming Morelos anywhere.

If transfer market was active them it would play to our advantage having a stockpile of cash from Morelos sale. We’re at a compatible disadvantage now with the stale market resulting from Covid fallout.

if Covid hadn’t it, I’d say sell and reinvest

now though - we should keep him until next year when market activity will play to our gains.

Back