The Athletic - How Rangers are using artificial intelligence to try to prevent injuries

fmp

https://theathletic.co.uk/2216451/2020/11/24/Rangers-artificial-intelligence-getafe-injuries/

Great article over on The Athletic which describes how Rangers are working with a company who provide predictive alerts for injuries to players, based on data collected during games, training, etc.

Basically what happens is all the data collected on players is fed in to a system which makes predictions on players who are at risk of specific injuries. It then makes recommendations on adjustments to training that Jordan Milson analyses and may implement. The idea being that up to 70% of injuries can be predicted and steps can be taken to avoid them.

Highlight from the article is a quote from the companies representative:

“That’s what we provide but it’s important to note that Rangers have a fantastic staff and have an existing apparatus so we were able to plug into that. They’re phenomenal to work with; very innovative and very data-oriented.”

Last edited:
We are now operating with great professionalism.
My eternal thanks to all those who saved our club from the leeches.
It's great that Rangers are not only willing to use this type of approach but from the article you can tell that they only had to "plug in" to Rangers systems.

The implication being that for most teams they work with, there is a lot of new technology to implement before they can start to do this work. Rangers already had what was required.

I'm probably getting it completely wrong but in Soccernomics there's an anecdote about English club times for training from 9-12 every day regardless of the kick offs coming up. A foreign manager coming in (presumably Wenger) then implemented changed training routines in response to the kick off times. Unless I've just made this up it shows fine margins for big results.

I read an article a while back from a top sports scientist who said that most injuries were just as a result of accumulating fatigue. Knocks/impact injuries can still happen at any time, but others are a build up of micro stresses and tears over time. I presume the techniques we are using are advanced ways of monitoring those.

I read an article a while back from a top sports scientist who said that most injuries were just as a result of accumulating fatigue. Knocks/impact injuries can still happen at any time, but others are a build up of micro stresses and tears over time. I presume the techniques we are using are advanced ways of monitoring those.
Basically:

This tech uses thousands of data points recorded for each player. Tiny variances in the data are detected by their system and matched with variances preceding injuries for other players. These then generate alerts to say the player is at risk of a certain injury allowing their training plans to be adjusted.

So the micro stresses etc are not directly detected by e.g. scans but instead by the tiny way they they affect players movements or performance.

Great that we are at the forefront of using technology, however not so keen on us sharing this so readily. Anything that gives us an advantage should be kept to ourselves surely?

Very interesting/encouraging, thanks for sharing.

Particularly like this bit:

“That’s what we provide but it’s important to note that Rangers have a fantastic staff and have an existing apparatus so we were able to plug into that. They’re phenomenal to work with; very innovative and very data-oriented.”

• Haha
Reactions: fmp
This facility is already available through Mr Biomechanics who knows all there is to know regarding the workings of the human body. All that is required to access his vast knowledge is to plug him into the electricity mains - there is widespread demand that this is done on Christmas Day as it’s too long to wait till fireworks night.

I'm probably getting it completely wrong but in Soccernomics there's an anecdote about English club times for training from 9-12 every day regardless of the kick offs coming up. A foreign manager coming in (presumably Wenger) then implemented changed training routines in response to the kick off times. Unless I've just made this up it shows fine margins for big results.

I'm sure that was Mourniho that done that. I believe at one point most of his training was done in 90mins as well, to replicate game time.

Great that we are at the forefront of using technology, however not so keen on us sharing this so readily. Anything that gives us an advantage should be kept to ourselves surely?
It's not like it's an industry secret. This company (and their competitors) will be banging on the door of every club to try to sell this type of system.

The thing is that you cant just "do" it. It has a pre-requirement of a modern data-centric approach to football with investment in systems, people, training, etc. and full commitment from the board, staff and players.

Last edited:
It's been available for a while and we certainly had a monitoring system from Smith's second spell, but it's the ability of the management and the players to rotate so effectively and still pummell teams in the domestic setting that has been so impressive.

It also speaks to Tav and Goldson's commitment to fitness that the rack up the highest minutes consistently.

Collecting the data is one thing, getting the right scientists looking at it is another.

One of the things we’ll likely see is an increase in the number of clubs willing to loan to us, if you can adequately track and minimise injury risks in young players then you’re protecting investments.

Reactions: fmp
It's funny this has popped up as this morning I was thinking about Spatial awareness.
Something quite different but still very interesting and not a part of training as fans know it.

Defoe and obviously Roofe have outstanding Spatial awareness, Kent and Hagi also.
It's something I've always thought takes a player to another level.

Examples are delivering a pass inch perfectly without looking at who they are passing to or scoring while having their back to goal or the goal is completely obstructed.

Like being aware without seeing the subject, instinct.

The company will be selling itself to all clubs. Our existing system made it easy for them to integrate. Presumably there would need to be a bit of work on infrastructure in many clubs to bring it in.

Jimmy Hill changed training times to reflect kick off times when he managed Coventry all they decades ago.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2216451/2020/11/24/Rangers-artificial-intelligence-getafe-injuries/

Great article over on The Athletic which describes how Rangers are working with a company who provide predictive alerts for injuries to players, based on data collected during games, training, etc.

Basically what happens is all the data collected on players is fed in to a system which makes predictions on players who are at risk of specific injuries. It then makes recommendations on adjustments to training that Jordan Milson analyses and may implement. The idea being that up to 70% of injuries can be predicted and steps can be taken to avoid them.

Highlight from the article is a quote from the companies representative:

Yip - analytics team were one of the first installments at Auchenhowie when SG arrived.

In years to come this approach will be directly compared to Neil 'we watched a replay of the game which is unusual for us' Lennon's failure at the Piggery.

I love that data mining is becoming a fundamental building block of professional sport. The foresight to look outwards at other business streams and technologies, coupled with the honesty that you can learn lessons from a wide and disparate range of sources is a key driver for those wishing to advance their business.

I think the Technology Science discussion's should be moved to the secret lounge , if this gets out through lurkers TLB will be in a job for life and it's us that will be heading for the Kingston Bridge . Don't let them know about our new training techniques or we are doomed !

Back