The Athletic - How Rangers are using artificial intelligence to try to prevent injuries

I’m guessing that the chair we bought a couple of years ago, that was meant to predict injuries, has made their job easier, so a cheaper set up than most clubs.

Good to see that we're looking at every area to try and get an edge. As Dave Brailsford said, it's about marginal gains.

Often said but they have no idea how high this goes, we've got the robots onside now
I am not surprised by this at all. We may have taken our eye off the ball when they were getting handed 8 3/4. We were working on stop the 10.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - FEBRUARY 25: Queen Elizabeth II during a visit to the headquarters of MI5 at Thames House on February 25, 2020 in London, England. MI5 is the United Kingdom's domestic counter-intelligence and security agency. (Photo by Victoria Jones - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

MI5’s newly appointed director general, Ken McCallum, has signalled an interest in working more closely with the private sector in harnessing artificial intelligence to help combat hostile state and terrorist activity.

Some of the tech in football now is fantastic and it's great to see us using it.

Was listening to a Tifo podcast who are associated with Athletic and they were talking to a Duth guy who runs a company that has built a system which helps players find new clubs that would suit them better. Their main headline player was Memphis Depay, so when he spoke to the company they ran the system filtering teams that play certain styles that would suit him. Lyon were on the list, the deal was done and his career has rocketed.

This is the result of having a world class player and captain of a top club and elite Country as the manager who operated in the biggest league in the world for 15 years.

He brings with him the staff and procedures of an elite environment.

Great that we are at the forefront of using technology, however not so keen on us sharing this so readily. Anything that gives us an advantage should be kept to ourselves surely?
Seems everything has to come out these days.

What surprised me about the article was not that we are utilising Zone 7’s cutting edge technology (given our approach to data analytics) it was that John Colquhoun (ex Hearts) was an investor in the company.

Great that we are at the forefront of using technology, however not so keen on us sharing this so readily. Anything that gives us an advantage should be kept to ourselves surely?
I don't think it's a secret that we are using this as I had heard something about it previously. I do think we're streets ahead of a lot of other clubs as far as data goes so we still have that advantage.

I don't think it's a secret that we are using this as I had heard something about it previously. I do think we're streets ahead of a lot of other clubs as far as data goes so we still have that advantage.
To be honest, I see this as a bit of a flex.

Also, anyone doing a bit of research on Rangers will find the article so its good for the brand.

No as its so cheap and the articles are consistently great with Rangers focussed content. I'd being doing them a disservice.

I will send you a 30 day coupon though, as I'm nice like that.
Could you send me one please?

To be honest, I see this as a bit of a flex.

Also, anyone doing a bit of research on Rangers will find the article so its good for the brand.
Great for it to be known within the industry. A centre of excellence for coaches, analysts and computer science. Mixing at the Alkass cup with Roma and Real Madrid can only help spread the networking and pinching of ideas

I read an article a while back from a top sports scientist who said that most injuries were just as a result of accumulating fatigue. Knocks/impact injuries can still happen at any time, but others are a build up of micro stresses and tears over time. I presume the techniques we are using are advanced ways of monitoring those.
It makes perfect senses mate.

I get made to do some “pre-hab” exercises that are designed to help prevent injury’s from happening. I totally echo the post that there is no pretence about being a big club. We definitely act like one

It's funny this has popped up as this morning I was thinking about Spatial awareness.
Something quite different but still very interesting and not a part of training as fans know it.

Defoe and obviously Roofe have outstanding Spatial awareness, Kent and Hagi also.
It's something I've always thought takes a player to another level.

Examples are delivering a pass inch perfectly without looking at who they are passing to or scoring while having their back to goal or the goal is completely obstructed.

Like being aware without seeing the subject, instinct.
You can't teach a football instinct. You have either got it or you haven't. Like a goal scorer, Law had it and so did Greaves. Sheer instinct of where to be and when. Can't be taught or explained.

Don’t think it‘s that new.
The Secret Footballer, What the Physio Saw, the physio guy talks about trying to predict muscle injuries.
I think it’s all about the way players move, position they play in, injury history.

It really feels like the club is not only using modern methods, but are actively looking at innovative ideas. I can't ever recall our club being this visionary. The club seems to have a lot of forward thinking individuals in every department.

Reactions: fmp
Bringing in Steven Gerrard brought in a whole new concept of football training and cutting edge technology, etc

Correct - and Lennon threw out half the one rodgers had brought in over at the cesspit. Added to this their medical department is much inferior to ours. So - overall what we have seen so far this season shouldn’t come as a major shock really.

I heard Celtic are getting in on the act- they’ve got a robotoic goalkeeping coach this season...

tumblr_nfymqzvQ9l1tq9q5vo1_400.gif

Small gains like this could be the difference between winning the league and not winning the league.

Great to hear how innovative we are under Gerrard.

It's been available for a while and we certainly had a monitoring system from Smith's second spell, but it's the ability of the management and the players to rotate so effectively and still pummell teams in the domestic setting that has been so impressive.

It also speaks to Tav and Goldson's commitment to fitness that the rack up the highest minutes consistently.

You can't teach a football instinct. You have either got it or you haven't. Like a goal scorer, Law had it and so did Greaves. Sheer instinct of where to be and when. Can't be taught or explained.
Instinct!

If you break it down into Proprioception and Spatial awareness, then it is easier to understand how it works.

You can improve spatial awareness as an adult, and Proprioception.
It is a question of teaching methods, we all have instinct, some of us are just much more reliant on it, trust it more as they know the benefits of using it.

Don’t think it‘s that new.
The Secret Footballer, What the Physio Saw, the physio guy talks about trying to predict muscle injuries.
I think it’s all about the way players move, position they play in, injury history.
The idea of trying to predict and prevent injuries is nothing new but this technology is new. It takes the practice to new levels of detail and accuracy.

Use of predictive analytics and (especially) machine learning have been gathering pace in most industries over the last few years and effective use of this type of tech (i.e. not just for the sake of it) gives companies an advantage over their competitors.

Last edited:
Back