The Athletic - Legia Tactical Preview

YoungGer97

** ADMIN EDIT ** Please do not copy and paste paid subscription content to FF. Thank you.

Another excellent article by Jordan Campbell, this is normally behind a paywall so everyone should go and subscribe to them for some quality content going forward, feels a bit shite posting this but everyone has seemingly been looking for this sort of content on here. Similar to Football Stewart on Patreon who does this kind of stuff for every Rangers game.

https://theathletic.com/1143428/2019/08/21/?redirected=1

Great read.

Footballing insight - not something I’ve ever seen in all my years in Scotland.

Struggling to remember last time we played against a 442

I wonder, if Gerrard and the management have seen that softness in the middle, we maybe see Edmundson for Katic given he's much better with the ball? Katic obviously better at the siege defending though and it would be very harsh to drop the big beautiful bastard.

I would enjoy if the Athletic was to publish interviews with our players as I’ve enjoyed everything Jordan Campbell has put out about us so far and although I love RTV sometimes I prefer to read an interview

Don't know what they are doing in the UK but for what's it's worth the Athletic in the US have not taken well to articles being posted on forums etc in the past.

Don't know what they are doing in the UK but for what's it's worth the Athletic in the US have not taken well to articles being posted on forums etc in the past.

Im sure they arent but neither would any news source. FWIW this is a one time thing from me, im trying to get more people to see the quality they put out and get them to subscribe, for our Rangers' writers benefit.

Seems a few people may subscribe off the back of this so thats a good sign.

Im sure they arent but neither would any news source. FWIW this is a one time thing from me, im trying to get more people to see the quality they put out and get them to subscribe, for our Rangers' writers benefit.

Seems a few people may subscribe off the back of this so thats a good sign.

I would think they are happy for a few bits and pieces to be shared early in their UK cycle on to encourage subscriptions.

I decided to subscribe after reading an article posted on here and I’m sure there are countless who have done the same both on this board and others.

Compare this with a “sports journalist” claiming he had an “exclusive” last night that turned out to be “Ryan Kent wants to come back to Rangers.”

Actually hate the so-called mainstream sports journalism in this country.

The way its going The Athletic will soon become the mainstream. Why others haven't figured most punters would rather read this than click bait crap like 5 things we've learned at training is anyone's guess.

The way its going The Athletic will soon become the mainstream. Why others haven't figured most punters would rather read this than click bait crap like 5 things we've learned at training is anyone's guess.
It's because our supposed sports journos think footie fans are thick and have the attention span of a goldfish. As sports go, football is both pretty tactical and quite complex, yet for some reason they seem to think fans of the world's most popular sport wouldn't want to read in-depth articles about said sport.

The irony, of course, is that I'd say over 75% of those who regularly attend the football could do what our mainstream journos do.

They’ve been put out of Europe by some absolute diddies in the last three years, not exactly had a great start to their league campaign and have played utter nobodies so far in the Europa where you’d expect them to keep clean sheets.

They are in for a shock when they play us.

This is a video Jordan has shared showing off the kind of space Legia leave in the centre of midfield.

Aribo and Davis will have an absolute field day.

Very impressed with sort of content and the OP.

It does look like a system that could be very vulnerable to our style of play, so long as we can contain them. With Aribo’s aggressive style, Arfield’s vision of pass, Ojo and Jones’ pace and Morelos’ being f*%king amazing, we should have the tools to hurt them.

One thing I wonder from this is whether this could be a game tailor made for rapid movement of the ball from defence to attack. And whether it would favour defenders more comfortable on the ball. I love Goldson and Katic and wonder if they are the most defensively sound combination that we have but both Helander and particularly Edmundson seem to have a better range of passing. I’d be loathe to break up the established pair but I could see some value in having Edmundson’s passing ability available.

Very impressed with sort of content and the OP.

It does look like a system that could be very vulnerable to our style of play, so long as we can contain them. With Aribo’s aggressive style, Arfield’s vision of pass, Ojo and Jones’ pace and Morelos’ being f*%king amazing, we should have the tools to hurt them.

One thing I wonder from this is whether this could be a game tailor made for rapid movement of the ball from defence to attack. And whether it would favour defenders more comfortable on the ball. I love Goldson and Katic and wonder if they are the most defensively sound combination that we have but both Helander and particularly Edmundson seem to have a better range of passing. I’d be loathe to break up the established pair but I could see some value in having Edmundson’s passing ability available.

Totally agree mate, Edmundson would split that midfield all day long. Maybe he'll go Katic because it's the away leg but we could really punish this side either way.

Just thinking of some quick passes from Edmundson through to Morelos, could be devastating.

Subscribed a few weeks ago the Rangers Content is great aswell as the NBA and NFL.

We can’t allow these articles to be posted again, this is the 2nd or 3rd. I take the point onboard about giving a taster but we’ve had that now so it’s time to use him or lose him from now on.

Had a read of this article this morning. Thought it was a really good piece of work. For me we need to be disciplined but also to maintain the creative freedom we have had so far this season to grab an early goal and control the game. What we can't do is have the sloppy 10 minutes like we did in Denmark. I have subscribed to the Athletic now - free month and £29.99 for the year for the content on Rangers and across a broad range of sports is spot on.

I think if we dawdle on the ball at the back then we may play ourselves into trouble.
This is hopefully where we see our quality in midfield really up the tempo and pin them early

Just fukking do them

It's because our supposed sports journos think footie fans are thick and have the attention span of a goldfish. As sports go, football is both pretty tactical and quite complex, yet for some reason they seem to think fans of the world's most popular sport wouldn't want to read in-depth articles about said sport.

The irony, of course, is that I'd say over 75% of those who regularly attend the football could do what our mainstream journos do.

I'd say this is more accurate. It's because our supposed sports journos are thick and have the attention span of a goldfish. And, frankly, that's denigrating goldfish.

The Athletic has been superb so far. Jordan Campbell had another article (same day or previous) where he's basically sat and studied Murty coaching vs Fleetwood, with an interview mixed in, and goes over his coaching style in these games. Again, excellent stuff (spoiler - players are asked to solve problems, take charge, all part of preparing them for first team)

That was absolutely excellent. Really enjoying Jordan’s articles. Between those and the tactics pods on H&H, my understanding of some of the nuances of the game, that often go unnoticed, has vastly improved.

It’s great to have genuinely talented sports writers and tactical analysts, rather than the soap opera drivel of the SMSM. They are so stuck in the past that’s it’s almost sad. Not quite though.

Never realised that this was the guy that wrote the rangers report a few years back. Really happy to read his work, much better than the drivel our print journalists produce.

For those thinking about it, they have a free trial and currently have a 50% off code for year subscription.

Back