The Athletic

bigy

Anyone subscribe to it or doing the free trial.

It’s been going in the states for a while and now launched in UK - with ‘in depth’ coverage of UK football and ad free. Followed their Rangers journo on twitter and does look decent, and they’ve got some big name journalists from down south.

It’s £2.49 a month if you take an annual subscription - is it worth it though? Was considering the free trial.

does look decent, would rather wait and see if there is any hint of an anti rangers slant on their content - although on first browse of their website it doesnt seem that way.

I would imagine any Gers related content will get captured and uploaded on here. And I already subscribe to H&H.

The Football Ramble is now a daily podcast show as well which is decent free content.

True - I think they are trying to go down the quality journalism route and the content and tactical analysis looks good.

I wouldn’t mind the £2.49 a month either, but billed annually it’s £30 in year 1 (still ok) and £60 in year 2. As a one off that’s steep, especially when as you point out all the key stories will be plagiarised very quickly.

For info for those that aren’t aware of it - this is an article on what to expect:

Imagine a new football department, they said.
Imagine hiring some of the best journalists in the country.
Imagine having the time and resource to plan and execute in-depth articles in a world where West Bromwich Albion matter just as much as Manchester United, where the inside story at Burnley is put together with the same passion as the lowdown on the latest managerial change at Chelsea.
Imagine ignoring the world of sensationalism and trying to share better – and untold – stories. Trying to stand out in the clickbait crowd.
No, this is not a bad reworking of a John Lennon song. It’s The Athletic UK and from today we are bringing our journalism to you. We’ve put a lot of love, effort and care into it to even get to Day One so I hope you enjoy it.
What are you going to get? Well, it depends what you want, really. You can follow our Premier League feed and get the best stories, analysis, features, interviews and long reads on every team from award-winning writers up and down the country. Today, for starters, we have exclusive interviews with Liverpool chairman Tom Werner, Dortmund’s Mario Gotze and Leicester’s new signing Ayoze Perez. There is also fascinating insight into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Tanguy Ndombele, the tactical underpinning of Manchester City’s title-winning defence and what reallyhappens at clubs in the transfer window (and yes, set-piece bonuses for players are a thing).
This is all just the tip of the iceberg.
Is the Premier League not your thing? Try our Football League or Scottish Premiership feeds. There’s so many huge clubs, so often ignored, who we will be covering in depth.
Or if you’re a bit more partisan than that, don’t bother. Just follow your team. Love Leeds? We’ve got Phil Hay for you. Obsessed by Liverpool? We’ve signed James Pearce and Simon Hughes. Think this is Sheffield Wednesday’s year? We have Nancy Frostick dedicated to nothing else all season. The list of our brilliant writers is too long to run here but you will be reading calm, considered, intelligent articles on your team from the best in the business. They’ll know the manager, the players, the men and women behind the scenes, the things that are upsetting or pleasing the fans. They will live and breathe your club.
And that doesn’t just mean British clubs. This is the only place you can read Rafa Honigstein on German football. We have multi-lingual experts who will be filing from across the globe to bring you stories you need to hear.
Prefer women’s football? We are employing Kieran Theivam as one of the only full-time writers on the subject in the country as we watch to see how much the game grows after the World Cup. There are so many great stories to tell.
Of course, the other way to enjoy all this is to just follow the writers you like. Maybe you only want to read tactics pieces by Michael Cox or columns by award-winning journalists Daniel Taylor and Oliver Kay. It would be a shame to miss out on the rest, but we’re not here to judge.
You can also be part of an exclusive club. Our writers will do weekly live Q&As, they’ll answer your questions on key issues and they’ve got something really special lined up on transfer deadline day.
Most importantly we want to inform and entertain you and tell stories that you’ll love. It’s our passion and we’ll give all our time, energy and ideas to make that happen.
We have the (second) greatest job in the world – come on, the players live the realdream – and we can’t wait to share our work with you.
I hope you love reading it half as much as we love putting it together.
Alex Kay-Jelski, Editor-in-chief, The Athletic UK & Europe

I signed up yesterday for the half price offer. Sat and had a read through last night and there were plenty of good articles to keep me amused for an hour or so.

The guy who will cover Rangers writes well and has a background as a tactical analyst so offers something more than your average 'journalist'.

Good article on Heckingbottom at Hibs on there yesterday, also an interview with a Liverpool coach and one about agents.

It's a good option if you want to read about football other than Scotland.

I signed up for the free trial after posting and will decide at the end of the month.

The article today on the Midtjylland set piece set up and coaching structure is really good. Also the one by the Man City reporter on how the goal kick rule change is impacting on tactics is fascinating.

To be honest I find all the chat about false 9s, the press, Pep etc a bit tedious so will probably avoid it

To be honest I find all the chat about false 9s, the press, Pep etc a bit tedious so will probably avoid it

It was a bit simpler than that. :)

Basically goal kicks don’t need to leave the box - so there’s less incentive for forwards to press high up park as the first pass is now free. Defenders are standing on 6 yard line and taking ball from the goalie.

Also no offside from goal kicks so teams with a keeper who can hoof it 80 yards stick a forward 25/30 yards out from opponents goal.

Defending team (who want to remain compact) are then pretty stretched as need to cover the forward but also don’t want to give opponent space to pass it out.

Back