The Aulde Enemy - England

If you don't consider Alexander-Arnold, Sancho, Greenwood and Foden as among the most talented young players right now then either your dislike for England is having too much of an influence on your opinion or you don’t watch football outside of Scotland.
All then you mentioned are superb young players except Greenwood I wouldn’t say he’s done enough to justify being mentioned with them. I Probably watch more European football than English for the reason that the English game is hugely overrated. countries like France and Spain also have top young talents, Rique Puig off the top of my head breaking into the Barcelona team at 19 years old. Probably most wont have heard of him though because the media here only focus on England. So many English players are overhyped far too soon by them. Callum Hudson-Odoi stands out as a recent one , You’re now doing it with Greenwood a player who’s got 8 goals in 26 for Man Utd , hardly matching what Haaland for example has done at Salzburg then Dortmund. Ones from the past aswell like Jack Butland , being hyped as the next best goalkeeper in the world , now he’s with stoke city , it happens time after time. Theo Walcott another , could go on and on.

They had Rooney Gerrard Scholes Cole Ferdinand Lampard Terry Campbell Carrick
Owen etc at one point together
For me Portugal and France are producing players of a far higher standard just now at the younger age groups

France probably have better options for CB at U20 level than England’s first team

Sancho and TAA are the only two who’ve proved it consistently at a high level
Add Sterling to TAA and Sancho, he's been superb for Man City and in Foden they have a real talent at the club.

Not really buying into the hype but they do have good talent coming through. Only Kane is world class though in that English team.

I always take any hype with english players with a pinch of salt. Harry maguire 80m? John stones 50m for example.

If Greece can do it then theres always hope. Id add Denmark but they had god on their side so dont count.

Lived in England for a loooonnnng time

Wife is English

Mates are English

Love England

Until it comes to sport. Fucking worst cùnts on the planet.
Same on all counts (well father in law is northern Irish so saved her a bit ;) )

most ignorant sport fans outside America!

They and the media think far too highly of English talent.

No doubting they produce quality footballers - more than Scotland! But why have England won one World Cup and multiple countries have more more?

Good luck to the England team, they’ll need it, they aren’t as good as they think they are.

Not really buying into the hype but they do have good talent coming through. Only Kane is world class though in that English team.

I always take any hype with english players with a pinch of salt. Harry maguire 80m? John stones 50m for example.

So Sterling isn’t world-class? Get to %^*&. Some of the opinions on here about English players and the Premier League just smacks of bitterness.

All then you mentioned are superb young players except Greenwood I wouldn’t say he’s done enough to justify being mentioned with them. I Probably watch more European football than English for the reason that the English game is hugely overrated. countries like France and Spain also have top young talents, Rique Puig off the top of my head breaking into the Barcelona team at 19 years old. Probably most wont have heard of him though because the media here only focus on England. So many English players are overhyped far too soon by them. Callum Hudson-Odoi stands out as a recent one , You’re now doing it with Greenwood a player who’s got 8 goals in 26 for Man Utd , hardly matching what Haaland for example has done at Salzburg then Dortmund. Ones from the past aswell like Jack Butland , being hyped as the next best goalkeeper in the world , now he’s with stoke city , it happens time after time. Theo Walcott another , could go on and on.

Haaland has scored his goals in the Austrian and German league, and also plays as an actual striker whereas Greenwood for now plays out wide. Hardly a fair comparison.

If you don’t believe Greenwood’s stats would be miles better if he also played for Dortmund then you’ve got something wrong with you.

He’s had a couple of cracking games now to be fair, but truth is prior to that and when the heat was on he did look out of place in that side. That’s English football is a nutshell though isn’t it, a few good games and you’re on the road to superstardom and the ballon d’or.

Guardiola considers him as one of the biggest talents he’s ever worked with. I think I’ll side with his opinion more than some bitter numpty that doesn’t rate any English player ever.

I suppose you’ll try to tell me that he is just being nice? Lmao.

They were taught a lesson in how to play football. As usual when they finally run into a top side.

Taught a lesson? You’re talking shite. They lost by one goal in a game where they were the better side for half of it. Either you didn’t watch the game or you’re just making stuff up.

They also beat Croatia a few months later.

Taught a lesson? You’re talking shite. They lost by one goal in a game where they were the better side for half of it. Either you didn’t watch the game or you’re just making stuff up.

They also beat Croatia a few months later.

Better side first half, Kane misses a sitter to put them 2-0 up and then they conceded a poor goal by a defender ball watching. Did Croatia then hit the post? Pickford also had a great point blank save if I remember correctly and they then conceded the winner by yet again ball watching.

Beat8ng Croatia few months later counts for %^*& all tbh.

England are a left back away from being contenders for every competition they enter imo.

Dele Alli needs to stop starting every game though

Nothing wrong with Chilwell?

Alli has regressed badly these last couple of years. Probably need a move away from Spurs to give him a new lease of life.

Better side first half, Kane misses a sitter to put them 2-0 up and then they conceded a poor goal by a defender ball watching. Did Croatia then hit the post? Pickford also had a great point blank save if I remember correctly and they then conceded the winner by yet again ball watching.

Beat8ng Croatia few months later counts for %^*& all tbh.

So they weren’t taught a footballing lesson then? You originally made it sound like Croatia played them off the park and should have won 6-1.

And why doesn’t then beating Croatia suddenly not count? Don’t try to tell me that just because it was the Nations League that they weren’t bothered.

They’ve got some incredible talent now. Rashford, Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Foden etc is a match for anyone attacking wise.

Their problem is that they still cant produce a good centre half. They’ve not had anyone top class in that position since Ferdinand and Campbell.

Nothing wrong with Chilwell?

Alli has regressed badly these last couple of years. Probably need a move away from Spurs to give him a new lease of life.
If TAA is Tavernier, they need a Barisic to come through.

Chillwell is a very good player but doesn't come close to providing the same attacking outlet on the left

So they weren’t taught a footballing lesson then? You originally made it sound like Croatia played them off the park and should have won 6-1.

And why doesn’t then beating Croatia suddenly not count? Don’t try to tell me that just because it was the Nations League that they weren’t bothered.

1. It wasn’t me that said they were taught a footballing lesson.

2. One was a WC semi final the other is a glorified friendly ffs.

They’ve got some incredible talent now. Rashford, Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Foden etc is a match for anyone attacking wise.

Their problem is that they still cant produce a good centre half. They’ve not had anyone top class in that position since Ferdinand and Campbell.

Terry?! I do get your point though. And it’s their defence that will probably see them fall short. But they should definitely be good enough and have enough going forward to make more semi’s and perhaps even finals in the coming years.

1. It wasn’t me that said they were taught a footballing lesson.

2. One was a WC semi final the other is a glorified friendly ffs.

So like I thought, you’re basically saying it doesn’t count just because It wasn’t a World Cup or Euro game, which is nonsense. Guess you didn’t see how Netherlands celebrated beating England in the semi-final, or how Portugal celebrated when they beat the Netherlands in the final...

They won the U20 World Cup a few years back but with closer inspection you see that this was done with Messers Ejaria and Ojo in the team/squad!!

I don’t think that U20 success is an accurate measure of what they will do a senior level in the coming years!!!

So you're one of those I mentioned that won't give any credit where it's possibly due then basically. England aren't the only nation to have some over-hyped players.

There isn’t another nation that so consistently puts ludicrous amounts of pressure on their players and never wins anything at international level though.

They shouldn't be favourites. Even with potential home advantage. But they should be considered dark horses for sure.

Maybe it would be easier for you to stop thinking about the past then and basing your opinion on that. Guardiola can see it but you can't, or maybe it's not that you can't, you just don't want to. There's a big difference.
See what?
They have potential, that's all.
Sometimes potential is realised, more often than not it isn't.

There isn’t another nation that so consistently puts ludicrous amounts of pressure on their players and never wins anything at international level though.

That’s hardly a fault of the English players though is it? But I don’t get why some people label every English player over-hyped just because they’re English and/or play in England. As I’ve said earlier before it just smacks of bitterness and is embarrassing.

See what?
They have potential, that's all.
Sometimes potential is realised, more often than not it isn't.

Which is the whole point of the thread, that they have a massive amount of potential. I never said that they were guaranteed to win anything. The fact that a few people have seemingly got offended and butt hurt over that is something else altogether...

So like I thought, you’re basically saying it doesn’t count just because It wasn’t a World Cup or Euro game, which is nonsense. Guess you didn’t see how Netherlands celebrated beating England in the semi-final, or how Portugal celebrated when they beat the Netherlands in the final...

Sorry mate your right, beating Croatia in a group game in a nothing tournament made up for them missing out on the World Cup final. :))

That’s hardly a fault of the English players though is it? But I don’t get why some people label every English player over-hyped just because they’re English and/or play in England. As I’ve said earlier before it just smacks of bitterness and is embarrassing.

I don’t really think that‘s the case though.

You’ve got a thread on the forum with people discussing how good David Beckham was and amongst that there are discussions on Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes.

I think people recognise how good some of the current crop are like Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Rashford etc.

The issue with England, as it always has been and will continue to be, is their press. I honestly think the English tabloids are some of the absolute worst people in the industry and that’s before you even start discussing football.

I don’t really think that‘s the case though.

You’ve got a thread on the forum with people discussing how good David Beckham was and amongst that there are discussions on Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes.

I think people recognise how good some of the current crop are like Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Rashford etc.

The issue with England, as it always has been and will continue to be, is their press. I honestly think the English tabloids are some of the absolute worst people in the industry and that’s before you even start discussing football.

I agree, but I’m failing to see how the players should be held accountable for the media? We all know the English media love to build them up to knock them down at the first opportunity. But that doesn’t mean that every English player is over-rated or over-hyped.

Guardiola said while being asked about Foden after the game this evening " I don't want to say anything wrong, but Gareth Southgate has incredible talent for the national team in his hands..."

I think some people are still unwilling to give England the credit they deserve for having some fantastic talent coming through right now. Seems to be an easy thing for some to call all English players over-rated. Of course, some of their players have been and are over-rated but isn't that the same for every nation?

Personally I think Guardiola is spot on. When you think about Foden, who looked every bit as City player already this evening, and then the likes of Greenwood who looks a serious talent, Sancho who looks like a future star and Saka who looks a big talent for Arsenal, and add to that Alexander-Arnold, Rashford and Sterling then I don't think anyone can genuinely say that don't have a very promising and exciting side. They might not win anything as there's a few other Nations with a lot of good young talent, but there's a reason their youth teams were winning competitions and tournaments a couple of years back, and they look like a very good side in the making.
they have an incredible array of forwards at the moment - Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Rashford, Foden, Hudson Odi, Abraham. They also have about 10 world class right backs.

But the have no good midfielders or centre halfs and their goalkeeping options are poor.

The difference is ambition . In Scotland to have ambition is like having leprocacy . This is what the nationalists have done to Scotland

they have an incredible array of forwards at the moment - Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Rashford, Foden, Hudson Odi, Abraham. They also have about 10 world class right backs.

But the have no good midfielders or centre halfs and their goalkeeping options are poor.

Fair point. Can’t disagree really, although I don’t think the midfield they have is poor. They just don’t have a good holding midfielder and that’s so important for any team. Rice is promising and performs well for West Ham but is still learning his trade.

But they have Loftus-Cheek, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Henderson, Rice, Mount, Winks, Shelvey, Maddison and Grealish to choose from in midfield. It’s not world-class or even close but it’s also no disgrace.

The problem with England and their players is that most of them play in England and always have done. Sancho being the exception at the moment. That means they all adapt to the premiership style, which for most teams, is very kick and rush, hoping for flick ons or set pieces etc.

When you watch premiership games, there's very little passing guile that you see in the foreign leagues (even lesser quality ones). That means you tend to get England getting so far on individual talent alone, but then falling when they come against a team with good players but also technically superior i.e. Croatia in the WC.

The problem with England and their players is that most of them play in England and always have done. Sancho being the exception at the moment. That means they all adapt to the premiership style, which for most teams, is very kick and rush, hoping for flick ons or set pieces etc.

When you watch premiership games, there's very little passing guile that you see in the foreign leagues (even lesser quality ones). That means you tend to get England getting so far on individual talent alone, but then falling when they come against a team with good players but also technically superior i.e. Croatia in the WC.

Croatia were technically superior then. But add Foden and Sancho to the England team, and also Alexander-Arnold and perhaps Maddison, and that wouldn’t be the case. Even though it was only 2 years ago none of the above featured for England.

Always said that more of their players need to start playing abroad and get out of their comfort zones. They’ll learn a different tempo and way of playing which can only improve them further. Problem is the EPL is the best league in the world along with La Liga, and outside of China is also where the money is.

Croatia were technically superior then. But add Foden and Sancho to the England team, and also Alexander-Arnold and perhaps Maddison, and that wouldn’t be the case. Even though it was only 2 years ago none of the above featured for England.

Always said that more of their players need to start playing abroad and get out of their comfort zones. They’ll learn a different tempo and way of playing which can only improve them further. Problem is the EPL is the best league in the world along with La Liga, and outside of China is also where the money is.

Exactly. I was hoping hudson odoi would go to Munich because I think he'd have developed a lot more already in the same way Sancho has.

England are the victims of their own success with the EPL.

Exactly. I was hoping hudson odoi would go to Munich because I think he'd have developed a lot more already in the same way Sancho has.

England are the victims of their own success with the EPL.

Funny thing is he will struggle to get game time there now. You would think their front three will be Abraham, Werner and Ziyech. Then there’s also Pulisic who is looking a player. He will be an impact sub and won’t progress the same way as he would playing elsewhere every week.

Guardiola, the whole English league set up, the England national teams and English under 23 squad players are all massively over rated IMO.

Is their anything you do rate?

I rate some of the players in their league (mainly foreigners) and managers, but guys like John Stones, Eddie Howe, some of the loan signings we’ve made (Ojo, Ejaria), teams like Brighton, Burnley and the whole level of the championship are pish.

I rate some of the players in their league (mainly foreigners) and managers, but guys like John Stones, Eddie Howe, some of the loan signings we’ve made (Ojo, Ejaria), teams like Brighton, Burnley and the whole level of the championship are pish.

I think we are still the stage now where everyone knows that Stones is pish and an accident waiting to happen, and therefore can no longer be considered over-rated.

He’s not without ability and can be elegant to watch at times. But he just hasn’t learned and eradicated the schoolboy errors from his game.

Great thread btw. Enjoying it thoroughly.

England are shite mate. Biggest bottlers going on the international scene.

Great thread btw. Enjoying it thoroughly.

England are shite mate. Biggest bottlers going on the international scene.

World Cup and Nations League semi-finalists... If that makes them shite then for your own sake I hope you don’t bother with our shower!

Foden is a superb player coming through and obviously have Jaden Sancho at Dortmund, one player I don’t see the fuss for is Greenwood.

Back