The Bayern side we beat in 1972

We should have won that game in 1967.
We outplayed them in their own back garden but couldn't score the goal to win the game.
It was a real missed opportunity.

Ironically going into the match, one club was a world-renowned name with one of the biggest grounds in the world and a support to match, the other club were in comparison, veritable unknown minnows.

Best ever team beaten by a Scottish club in my opinion

Not on here to be argy-bargy.

I think between Bayern in 1972 and Juventus six years later we have the greatest aggregate scores ever, over a European major club without doubt.

However, it ain't enough.

When did we achieve it again?

1999 v Parma?

I want routine and competence in Europe as a written . Not once in a decade or so.

We keep deluding ourselves we have and maintain standards.

No we don't.

Without a doubt that Bayern group are the best and most talented side any Scottish team has ever defeated in European competition. The German outfit’s record speaks for itself, the bulk of them played for the national team also and way back in a time before silly money, huge squads, squad rotation and the prioritising of certain competitions. It’s hard to argue against our semi final triumph even if I am biased.

Without a doubt that Bayern group are the best and most talented side any Scottish team has ever defeated in European competition. The German outfit’s record speaks for itself, the bulk of them played for the national team also and way back in a time before silly money, huge squads, squad rotation and the prioritising of certain competitions. It’s hard to argue against our semi final triumph even if I am biased.

A month before Rangers beat them, the West Germany side, full of Bayern players and Gunter Netzer from Monchengladbach blootered England at Wembley all hands down.

By the end of the year Sir Alf was papped.

We outplayed them in their own back garden but couldn't score the goal to win the game.

Ironically going into the match, one club was a world-renowned name with one of the biggest grounds in the world and a support to match, the other club were in comparison, veritable unknown minnows.
Being a mere stripling of 10 in 1967, my only real memory of the game was one of devastation crying myself to sleep, toys rattle out of the pram. Having seen the game again in recent years, this was no game of plucky Scots underdogs. We genuinely were the superior side, let down by ill firtune, but more importantly the mistakes prompted by events at Berwick.

When ever the "best player ever" Is mentioned it's almost always number 10's such as Pele, Maradona, Messi, Cruyff et al who are mentioned. Franz Beckenbauer should be on the list of anyone who has even a rudimentary knowledge of the beautiful game. His medal haul alone dwarfs many of the names who would be eligible for such a list.
Then you have Gerd Muller, arguably the best penalty box player of any era, and Paul Breitner the best left back I have ever seen play the game. Add in Sepp Maier, Uli Hoeness, Franz Roth, Georg Schwarzenbeck then that Bayern team speaks for itself.

Beckenbauer has always held Rangers in high esteem.

When Bayern grabbed a fortunate equaliser in the Champions League at Ibrox in 1999, Beckenbauer was then General Manager of Bayern. At the subsequent press conference he was getting a grilling from the German press for his teams performance. He lost his shit and shouted "We were playing Glasgow Rangers at Ibrox".

We scored however ruled offside, we were bereft of proper forwards, and had Rodger Hynd basically as our Centre Forward, we actually done well considering!

I always thought it was for a non existant foul on the goalkeeper.
I'm sure you're correct, didn't see any reason for the decision apart from a homer ref. Watched the game recently & couldn't believe how superior we were. The decisions made post berwick cost us that cup & more in following seasons.

The Evening Times of the following day talk about a “ Humiliated Rangers” returning to Glasgow. Incredible to think that a 1-0 defeat to Bayern Munich is a humiliation given how Bayern are now. But yes, Bayern were relatively unknown back then.

The achievement of beating that side over two legs must rank as arguably the best result in European competition by any side from our leagues.

When ever the "best player ever" Is mentioned it's almost always number 10's such as Pele, Maradona, Messi, Cruyff et al who are mentioned. Franz Beckenbauer should be on the list of anyone who has even a rudimentary knowledge of the beautiful game. His medal haul alone dwarfs many of the names who would be eligible for such a list.
Then you have Gerd Muller, arguably the best penalty box player of any era, and Paul Breitner the best left back I have ever seen play the game. Add in Sepp Maier, Uli Hoeness, Franz Roth, Georg Schwarzenbeck then that Bayern team speaks for itself.

Beckenbauer has always held Rangers in high esteem.

When Bayern grabbed a fortunate equaliser in the Champions League at Ibrox in 1999, Beckenbauer was then General Manager of Bayern. At the subsequent press conference he was getting a grilling from the German press for his teams performance. He lost his shit and shouted "We were playing Glasgow Rangers at Ibrox".
I'm sure Beckenbauer said after the game that Ibrox had the best atmosphere in European football but I could be wrong?.

Historically the winners Of the UEFA and Cup Winners cup provided the up and coming teams who would later go on and dominate their league and European Cup

The Evening Times of the following day talk about a “ Humiliated Rangers” returning to Glasgow. Incredible to think that a 1-0 defeat to Bayern Munich is a humiliation given how Bayern are now. But yes, Bayern were relatively unknown back then.

1860 were the bigger club.

I'm sure Beckenbauer said after the game that Ibrox had the best atmosphere in European football but I could be wrong?.

It's a long time ago but I'm pretty sure that Schwarzenbeck gave a post match interview in one of the Scottish newspapers saying that he would love to play for Rangers in front of that crowd.

I always thought it was for a non existant foul on the goalkeeper.
The referee was Concetto Lo Bello, a top Italian referee. At that time European referees, particularly from the Latin countries allowed no contact or challenges on goalkeepers, even where it was a 50/50 for a ball in the air. Sepp Maier was young, weak and inexperienced. Roger Hynd was a massive guy and the referee clearly assumed the contact was greater than it actually was. After the game, Lo Bello was actually criticised by the Italian Sports Press and accused of being influenced by the 60,000 Germans who were there. But in normal time Roger Hynd missed a sitter set up for him by Dave Smith. It was on his left foot. Jim Forrest would have burst the net.

First class side. Arguably the strongest club side we ever played although Juventus in 1978 would run them close. Had the good fortune to attend home leg against both.

The nucleus of the team who won that summer's European Championship, the next World Cup and 3 successive European Cups.

Without a shadow of a doubt it was the best team ever knocked out by a Scottish team.

This was precisely what I came on to post...and we beat them as they were coming to their peak. A truly great team.

Wouldn’t say they were unknown minnows, they’d already won their league and cups and also beat us in the 1967 cup winners cup final.

Wouldn’t say they were unknown minnows, they’d already won their league and cups and also beat us in the 1967 cup winners cup final.
He's talking about them in the context of 1967. Going into the final we were the side with European pedigree, with possibly the venue squaring things up slightly.

Back