The best all round striker to play for Rangers?

I've said on this forum before my all time favourite player is Jim Forrest and I was absolutely gutted when he was forced out but if we are talking about an all round player in an attacking sense it's got to be Alfredo. If we're talking about the complete player it must be DJ. How he wasn't voted into our greatest ever team can only be explained by people of a younger generation casting their votes.

In my time of watching Rangers, purely on goals scored it would be Ally or DJ.

As for their all round game, probably any of Hateley. Amato or Mols

I've said on this forum before my all time favourite player is Jim Forrest and I was absolutely gutted when he was forced out but if we are talking about an all round player in an attacking sense it's got to be Alfredo. If we're talking about the complete player it must be DJ. How he wasn't voted into our greatest ever team can only be explained by people of a younger generation casting their votes.
Love wee Alfie but seriously we have had a dozen strikers better than him under any criteria. You are correct about DJ although Forrest was well before my time so can't say he wasn't even better

It’s a tough one, obviously DJ and Ally will be uppermost in peoples minds
But as a striker myself, the best I’ve seen for Rangers have been
Negri and Mols, if either had a longer career

Not suggesting for a second that he's the best all round striker that we've ever had but Cousin was a monster when he could be bothered.

Love wee Alfie but seriously we have had a dozen strikers better than him under any criteria. You are correct about DJ although Forrest was well before my time so can't say he wasn't even better
I know what you're saying about strikers as in goal scorers but I haven't seen any whose all round play is better than Alfredo. It's all about opinions though as you'll agree.

Nonsense.....DJ, McCoist, Hateley were better at their peak game ability than anything Morelos has done so far....Morelos clearly has the ability to develop and be something special but those three mentioned eclipse the best of Morelos so far in terms of the level of opponent they put to the sword and individual high points....
On his day Morelos is the best I've seen in 50 years
But not the most consistent .
Michael Mols but for his in injury is up there
Derek Johnsrone and Hately were good..
McCoist better.
Morelos best

DJ was technically gifted and would EASILY be our highest goalscorer ever had his versatility not taken him away from CF many times. Hateley played CH once for us and looked like a fish out of water, with DJ you couldn't tell the difference as he read the game so well and was by far the best header of a ball I've ever seen.

DJ was technically gifted and would EASILY be our highest goalscorer ever had his versatility not taken him away from CF many times. Hateley played CH once for us and looked like a fish out of water, with DJ you couldn't tell the difference as he read the game so well and was by far the best header of a ball I've ever seen.

Just out of interest, do you think DJ fulfilled his potential fully or do you think the chopping and changing of positions held him back slightly?

Wild, outside and probably wrong but shota is vastly underrated. Controversial, but If he’d joined at a time where he would have played up front more he’d have been viewed as a legend within our support

Super Ally for me
top goal scorer and predator , slayer of the mhanks many a day so will do for me
no one compares to Ally but Alfredo is looking like the complete striker if he keeps his cool he will be one of the best forwards in football, his performance against Antwerpt was just sublime in both legs, the most perfect performance i have ever seen

For all round attacking ability, technical skills and ‘get you off you seat’ excitement there is only one winner - Michael Mols.

Followed by McCoist, Amato and Hateley. Even as I’m typing Hateley’s name I can’t get the wigs out of my head. Hateley will be forever tarnished by his wig association.

Best I have seen in my lifetime is Hateley.

Jelavic gets an honourable mention and Morelos, if he could be a bit more cute on 1 on 1's with keeper would certainly be up there.

You'd have seen Jelavic, Prso and Buff all three are in the elite category.

I also saw Mols pre injury and he's the best I've seen.
He could well have been classed with Forrest, DJ, Ally and Hateley, had he not suffered that injury.

The 3 you mention have all been great Rangers strikers, but fall short of being in the same bracket as the "big 4" imo.

Stein, Parlane, Millar, Miller and Boyd must deserve a mention too.

McCoist for me.

When discussing all round abilities as a forward why does he get diluted so much?

Quick of mind, quick of feet, lethal, strong, poached goals, goals outside the box, headers, link up play, intelligence.

McCoist had everything and he delivered consistently.

Just out of interest, do you think DJ fulfilled his potential fully or do you think the chopping and changing of positions held him back slightly?
Pre Argentina in 78 WAS DJ's peak with around 40 goals and we definitely seen him at his best, he should have played in that world cup but Jordan was also a top striker. DJ had a few issues , he liked a pint and and carried a few pounds in his later career but he definitely was a brilliant CF who could score every goal in the book and won many honours including trebles and a Cup Winners cup at CH when he was 18 , add a cup winning header v the Tim's when he was only 16 and he truly is a Rangers legend and imo should be in our all time 11 just ahead of big Mark.

It's most definitely Hateley; the match at Elland Road speaks for itself, and every other match that season. Hateley performed brilliantly at all levels for Rangers, consistently.

I also saw Mols pre injury and he's the best I've seen.
He could well have been classed with Forrest, DJ, Ally and Hateley, had he not suffered that injury.

The 3 you mention have all been great Rangers strikers, but fall short of being in the same bracket as the "big 4" imo.

Stein, Parlane, Millar, Miller and Boyd must deserve a mention too.

Boyd is probably the most efficient goalscorer I've ever seen for Rangers, and I include McCoist in that (the best all round for me).

Pre Argentina in 78 WAS DJ's peak with around 40 goals and we definitely seen him at his best, he should have played in that world cup but Jordan was also a top striker. DJ had a few issues , he liked a pint and and carried a few pounds in his later career but he definitely was a brilliant CF who could score every goal in the book and won many honours including trebles and a Cup Winners cup at CH when he was 18 , add a cup winning header v the Tim's when he was only 16 and he truly is a Rangers legend and imo should be in our all time 11 just ahead of big Mark.

Yeah I'm not doubting his talent or ability. He's very well remembered by everyone that watched him play.

My question was do you think he fulfilled his full potential?

A very good footballer, yet not depended on in many big games?
Because he could not fit into certain systems that these big games required us to play. To call him terrible is a joke.

He was a footballer. He scored bundles of goals. He was far from terrible.

He was.

An outstanding goalscorer and his finishing ability (with both feet) was second to none, he had nothing else to his game though.
Does an outstanding goalscorer not mean he was a good footballer?

He was extremely efficient at the hardest part of the game ffs!!

Because he could not fit into certain systems that these big games required us to play. To call him terrible is a joke.

He was a footballer. He scored bundles of goals. He was far from terrible.
I never said he was terrible, but when I think of Boyd I don't see him anywhere our best ever. Great goalscorer, but not sure I'd describe him as a very good footballer.

Does an outstanding goalscorer not mean he was a good footballer?

He was extremely efficient at the hardest part of the game ffs!!

He was outstanding at the most difficult aspect of football (scoring goals). He was terrible at everything else though.

Certainly not the quickest, or the most hard working striker I've ever seen, but a "terrible footballer" is harsh mate.

A player with a good 1st touch, awareness, composure when one on one with the keeper and and an excellent striker of the ball, isn't a terrible footballer.

It's not harsh, it's accurate.

He was outstanding at scoring goals but he was poor (at best) at all the other aspects of being a striker.

To think he was only 24 in 1978. Never achieved what he could have in the game.

He was outstanding at the most difficult aspect of football (scoring goals). He was terrible at everything else though.

He was outstanding at scoring goals but he was poor (at best) at all the other aspects of being a striker.
God sake. I'm out.

He wasn't a terrible footballer, I get everything you're trying to say, but your description is a mile out.

I've said he lacked pace and didn't work hard enough.
I also don't think he is in the same bracket as our best ever strikers.

However, he could link play, had an incredible knack of finding space in the opposition box and his finishing and ball striking was 2nd to none.

You don't score the number of goals he did if you're a "terrible footballer"

What else do you think he lacked?

Yeah I'm not doubting his talent or ability. He's very well remembered by everyone that watched him play.

My question was do you think he fulfilled his full potential?
No, DJ was a very early starter in the game and he gave us some great times but by 1980 when he was 26 his best was behind him, not because of ability but because he didn't apply himself as he should have. He had so much more to give but we never really seen his best but what we did see was superb

Back