The best all round striker to play for Rangers?

For me Mark Hateley was best I’ve ever seen leas the line for us Ally the greatest but big Hateley had the lot power pace finishing link up the lot. My Da says Colin Stein and DJ where better but I’m 80s boy so never seen them who for you is the best striker?
I have to agree mate , pound for pound Hately.

I’m really loving the podcast he’s on with stevie Clifford & Alex Rae at the moment , fantastic analysis.

For me Mark Hateley was best I’ve ever seen leas the line for us Ally the greatest but big Hateley had the lot power pace finishing link up the lot. My Da says Colin Stein and DJ where better but I’m 80s boy so never seen them who for you is the best striker?
Your dad is right, both Stein and especially DJ were better.

We've had some amazing forwards since the 80s (not old enough to go further back). Ally is obviously the greatest as a goal scorer. Mols, Negri, Big Dunc' and Rosenthal...what might have been. As an all round players, has to be big Mark but Prso was pretty damn good too.

Surprised no-one has suggested Van Vossen :D :D :D

As an old fashioned number 9, Mark Hateley. My old man always said Jimmy Millar.

Natural goal scorer, the record books would say Ally McCoist, but we’ve had so many. The fact McCoist saw off so many you’d have to go with him- but If I needed some to take a chance to save my life, it would have been Jelavic.

Big DJ had it all, scored with his head, right and left foot, he was not the fastest but his timing at jumping to head the ball was second to none. .Every generation will have their own preferences But having grown up with some great Centre forwards from Jimmy Millar onwards, its DJ for me.

Hateley surely?

Yet 95% of Bears who saw both DJ and Hateley play, think DJ was the better all round striker.

You also have Jim Forrest scoring something like 150 goals in 3 seasons before the age of 23.
No penalties either!!!

It's very much a generation thing.

I'm too young to have seen any of those 3, or Ally, at their peak, so I'll just enjoy reading the debate.

I've seen some great Rangers strikers over the past 22 years I've been going regularly, but none are probably in the elite class of those 4.

How should we define and rate the “all round” striker?
- Goals - the obvious criteria
- Assists - creating goals for teammates
- Movement - stretching defences, intelligent use of space
- Pace - ability to break the defensive line with a sprint
- Trickery - skills
- Physicality - bullying defenders, letting them know they’ve been in a game

On goals alone there is only one winner, Ally McCoist, but he was also proficient in his movement (always in the right place to score) and physicality (he was under rated in this respect, but always knew when to leave one on a defender) in particular. Pace and trickery not so much.

As a balance across all of these criteria, I don’t disagree with those suggesting Mark Hateley overall. He scored goals, created countless chances for both McCoist and Johnston, movement was excellent, he was quick and as for physicality he wins that contest hands down.

Other candidates I’ve seen in my time - Rod Wallace was underrated but good across all of these criteria. Jelavic was a top, if fleeting talent. Michael Mols trickery was great to watch until his sad injury. Also, let’s not forget the contribution Kenny Miller made over his spells at Rangers.

I‘d also add that based on the criteria, Alfredo comes pretty high on the list. Goals, assists, movement, physicality are all top class. He lacks a bit of pace and trickery is not his thing, he’s more brute force, but his all round talent as a striker in terms of bullying and stretching defences is probably the closest we‘ve had since Hateley, other than heading ability.

Hateley for me. Although McCoist a better all rounder than most give him credit for.

I don’t think versatility should come into the debate imo, question is best all round striker, not best all round player.

Pace, power, superb in the air, link up play, finishing and great left foot.

He had great seasons in a partnership and couple of excellent ones playing up alone with likes of Durrant and Laudrup playing just off him.

Teams were terrified of him. Destroyed that mob a few times.

Yet 95% of Bears who saw both DJ and Hateley play, think DJ was the better all round striker.

You also have Jim Forrest scoring something like 150 goals in 3 seasons before the age of 23.
No penalties either!!!

I'm too young to have seen any of those 3, or Ally, at their peak, so I'll just enjoy reading the debate.

I've seen some great Rangers strikers over the past 22 years I've been going regularly, but none are probably in the elite class of those 4.
I'm too youngish to have saw DJ Hatley tho what a player. I'll give my vote to DJ as I have met him several times and is an absolute gentleman. Also played at the back all round great player

I'm too youngish to have saw DJ Hatley tho what a player. I'll give my vote to DJ as I have met him several times and is an absolute gentleman. Also played at the back all round great player

To have scored the winner in a National Cup Final as a 16 year old centre forward, then win a European winners medal as a 18 year old centre half must be unprecedented across European football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hateley and DJ version 1 have been the best in my lifetime, though I only caught DJ right at the end of that spell and I was actually more of a Parlane fan.

Unfortunately DJ version 2 wasn't in the shape required to dig us out of the hole we were in when he came back.

Morelos is maturing into something special but I think we will miss out on his best years.

In my lifetime it's probably Jelavic had a bit of everything cracking finisher but had the craft and guile to beat a man scored in the big games regularly aswell

I'm a 90s boy and there's no comparison between them. For DJ to miss out to Mark Hateley in our so-called 'Greatest Team' was ludicrous, especially when you consider that Johnstone is also one of the best centre-halves and natural footballers Rangers have ever had.

No penalties either!!!

Definitely a generational thing. I watched DJs entire career and he was fantastic. Think it was season 77-78 when he hit almost 40 goals. Outstanding. Almost seemed like if the ball was in the box he was putting it in the net. Older relatives will tell me Jim Forrest every day of the week.

Hateley comes close as the 'complete striker' who was just excellent at every facet of the game and then there's Super Ally. Did any Rangers striker give us so much fun and enjoyment over such a prolonged period? Guys just a Rangers Legend.

Too many to choose from and we will all just go with the one who was seminal to our life as a Rangers supporter. I'd probably go with DJ, but Ally's sheer volume of goals has to count for something.

Back