The best all round striker to play for Rangers?

Born in 85 so would probably say Hateley in my lifetime - although I could be persuaded to say McCoist who I think was a much better all round football player than people give him credit for. His game was about more than poaching.

Hateley was fantastic in the air, very good on the deck with a great left foot, and also very fast.

That puts him as the top all rounder for me.

For me Mark Hateley was best I’ve ever seen leas the line for us Ally the greatest but big Hateley had the lot power pace finishing link up the lot. My Da says Colin Stein and DJ where better but I’m 80s boy so never seen them who for you is the best striker?
Lot of kids on here ....Jim Forrest was , by far, the best striker in the last 60 years ...followed by Stein then Johnstone .

Everyone knows where my vote goes.

Derek Johnstone was the most all round footballer I have ever seen, and he could play any role up front. 6 yard box poacher. Aerial power. Leader of the line. Link up man. Set piece threat. He scored every kind of goal possible and created plenty. And that's before you mention he was an international class striker and midfielder and centre half.

Peak DJ these days would be worth more than most clubs could dream of affording.

And even the overweight early 80s DJ was still some player.

For me Mark Hateley was best I’ve ever seen leas the line for us Ally the greatest but big Hateley had the lot power pace finishing link up the lot. My Da says Colin Stein and DJ where better but I’m 80s boy so never seen them who for you is the best striker?
Defo up there but I remember his first 6 months. He was rotten. But again just shows what a bit of patience does. He turned into a beast.

As said earlier very much a generational thing. For me it’s DJ hands down, an incredible talent who was a joy to watch. We have had so many great centre forwards in our history and it’s eye opening that Jimmy Smith has only had one mention. There are others through the years who would be number one to those who saw them play like RC Hamilton, Willie Reid, Jimmy Fleming and Willie Thornton to name a few. No matter what era we are from, as Rangers supporters we have been blessed with incredibly talented players throughout our history.

If not for his injury I think Mols might have been in contention for this but overall probably Mark Hateley.

Jim Forrest- what a mistake we made .It cost us dearly for a good few years.Big Derek was also a fanatastic player the things he achieved when only still a boy was amazing.

In all of these debates sometimes the criteria is too vague. I've seen the team since the early 70's albeit I was a boy.
McCoist is special for obvious reasons in overall terms post the early 70's hard to see by him but in terms of ability and overall contribution by a forward Hateley for me.

Definitely a generational thing. I watched DJs entire career and he was fantastic. Think it was season 77-78 when he hit almost 40 goals. Outstanding. Almost seemed like if the ball was in the box he was putting it in the net. Older relatives will tell me Jim Forrest every day of the week.

Hateley comes close as the 'complete striker' who was just excellent at every facet of the game and then there's Super Ally. Did any Rangers striker give us so much fun and enjoyment over such a prolonged period? Guys just a Rangers Legend.

Too many to choose from and we will all just go with the one who was seminal to our life as a Rangers supporter. I'd probably go with DJ, but Ally's sheer volume of goals has to count for something.

Hateley was simply much more professional than DJ who wasted his talent imho.

A fully fit Michael Mols was the best I have ever seen.

He stood out in a team that contained guys like De Boer, Gio and Barry Ferguson.

I loved Jelavic though, he was my kind of player. His one touch finishing was like nothing I'd seen before or since.

If your opinion is to include service to the club, Ally or Mark.
Based on just the time with us, Michael Mols

A fully fit Michael Mols was the best I have ever seen.

He stood out in a team that contained guys like De Boer, Gio and Barry Ferguson.

I loved Jelavic though, he was my kind of player. His one touch finishing was like nothing I'd seen before or since.

De Boer didn't sign until after Mols injury....

Was Ronald De Boer a striker? I have a feeling he won't be mentioned in the greatest midfielders thread either.

On his day Morelos is the best I've seen in 50 years
But not the most consistent .

Nonsense.....DJ, McCoist, Hateley were better at their peak game ability than anything Morelos has done so far....Morelos clearly has the ability to develop and be something special but those three mentioned eclipse the best of Morelos so far in terms of the level of opponent they put to the sword and individual high points....

Even when Mols came back from his injury he stood out, in a team that contained de Boer.

My overall point was that Mols was the best I'd seen, even in a team with world class players.

No one I've ever seen argues he was as good when he came back....he was out for the best part of two seasons and scored a rough approximation of what he achieved in his first 9 games in the Scottish league. over a few seasons.....it was a cruel injury...he was never the same again...

Statistically the greatest was Jimmy Smith. I cannot remember his exact total but I think it was over 350 goals in about the same number of games.

No one I've ever seen argues he was as good when he came back....he was out for the best part of two seasons and scored a rough approximation of what he achieved in his first 9 games in the Scottish league. over a few seasons.....it was a cruel injury...he was never the same again...

I never said he was as good. I said he stood out. I'll rephrase what I said, he stood out at times when he came back from injury but they were limited occasions.

I don't really know what the issue you're raising is. I said in my original post "a fully fit Michael Mols". Yes I got the timing of the de Boer signing mixed up but that's it.

Yet 95% of Bears who saw both DJ and Hateley play, think DJ was the better all round striker.

You also have Jim Forrest scoring something like 150 goals in 3 seasons before the age of 23.
No penalties either!!!

It's very much a generation thing.

I'm too young to have seen any of those 3, or Ally, at their peak, so I'll just enjoy reading the debate.

I've seen some great Rangers strikers over the past 22 years I've been going regularly, but none are probably in the elite class of those 4.
You'd have seen Jelavic, Prso and Buff all three are in the elite category.

You'd have seen Jelavic, Prso and Buff all three are in the elite category.

None of those players compare to pre-Hateley.... great strikers I particularly liked Jelavic but not in the same league as their predecessors.

What many are failing to grasp is that a season or two before admin for us Scottish football and the overall quality started to go into free fall.....

Effectively a number 10....could ghost or play either side though....
I know, I'm saying it's a shame he doesn't get mentioned in these threads as his position was a bit more difficult to pin down. Same with Laudrup for that matter.

None of those players compare to pre-Hateley.... great strikers I particularly liked Jelavic but not in the same league as their predecessors.

What many are failing to grasp is that a season or two before admin for us Scottish football and the overall quality started to go into free fall.....
Compare to pre Hateley? It's easy to score hundreds of goals playing 2-3-5
DJ(too early for me), Hateley (who's right foot was for standing on) neither were more complete than Jelavic. Prso was injury plagued but still elite as will the Buff prove to be.

Yeah I'm not sure about that.

Hateley was simply much more professional than DJ who wasted his talent imho
To say that DJ wasted his talent is ridiculous, there have been threads on here before detailing his achievements and stats throughout his career and the numbers stand up to anybody’s.

Jim Forrest, a superb finisher who had great pace and played off of the last defender. Knew when to make his run for Baxter to push a pass through to him. For a complete all round player who could finish brilliantly though and was comfortable in midfield or defence Derek Johnstone
Yeh big DJ for me

Back