The best Euro team we've beaten under Gerrard?

Best team we've beaten?

• Maribor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rapid Vienna

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Feyenoord

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Porto

Votes: 487 76.8%
  • Braga

Votes: 110 17.4%
  • Galatasaray

Votes: 16 2.5%
  • Standard Liege

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters
Benfica have 37 titles compared to Porto with 28. They are top of the league with 5 wins out of 5 matches. Plus our match against them is away. If we win over there I'd argue that is a far better result than against Porto at home
Past glories isn’t really relevant IMO, Porto are the current champions. The OP was referring to team, not the specific game. I would agree though a win away next week is a better result than Porto at home.

Reactions: VGM
Was there aswell mate cracking night. Very glad I got that trip before lockdown came!

Definitely! My dad and his mates patched Braga as they had already been to the Porto game. They had Leverkusen all booked up before the lockdown. Gutted.

Porto and Galatasary are probably the biggest names in the list but felt Braga in the first leg played some ridiculous football so would have them down as the best team we've beaten.

For me though, one of the most impressive results was the 2-2 away at Villarreal, first game back in a group stage away in Spain with the team we put out that night was very good. Lafferty upfront, Halliday and Coulibally in midfield. Our three subs that night were Dorrans, McCrorie and Middleton also.

Porto and Galatasary are probably the biggest names in the list but felt Braga in the first leg played some ridiculous football so would have them down as the best team we've beaten.

For me though, one of the most impressive results was the 2-2 away at Villarreal, first game back in a group stage away in Spain with the team we put out that night was very good. Lafferty upfront, Halliday and Coulibally in midfield. Our three subs that night were Dorrans, McCrorie and Middleton also.
I agree, I didn’t really appreciate it because Villareal finished 16th or something. Watched the highlights back on Saturday & and it’s a great result considering the team we had out.

Porto the biggest scalp but braga has been the most satisfying. They were so cocksure of skelping us all over their social media, being honest they were flying at the time! The home game against us was both extremes of heaven and hell in 90 mins, it was a special night!

Reactions: TQ3
I think everyone knows I was just being optimistic. I voted Porto as I believe they are the best team we have beaten under Gerrard so far. If we beat Benfica in Portugal I will be delighted though based on their current form

I agree, I didn’t really appreciate it because Villareal finished 16th or something. Watched the highlights back on Saturday & and it’s a great result considering the team we had out.
My first euro trip for a competitive game as well. The two equalizers took a lot out of me but some atmosphere!

Porto probably in terms of their recent pedigree and overall quality.

Braga the most in form and probably the best a teams played against us. For 65 minutes at least. Dont think ive ever witnessed a team do as big a 180° turn as that Braga team. Then beat them away as well for good measure, the 1-0 scoreline flattered them.

Liege have, or rather had, their phenomenal home record and us having not won away in European group stages since 2007 it was a phenomenal result getting the win there.

I think the Midtjylland result gets overlooked a little, i would have that result as the best of the rest alongside Galatasaray. Midtjylland were a good side we made look ordinary, they were a better side than Feyenoord, Rapid and Maribor. I think Osijek were more of a threat than Maribor. Galatasaray had some big names in their lineup but i didnt think much of them overall.

Looking back ( and this is a compliment to how far we have come under SG in Europe) , Braga @ Ibrox is the only game I remember thinking - “we are way out our depth here !!!”

Porto, mainly because nobody gave us a chance before a ball was kicked.
Closely followed by Galatasaray as they were on great form in the run up to our game.

I would have included Midtjyĺland. Not a great pedigree, but they were top of the Danish league when we played them, won it comfortably and qualified for the CL group stage. And a team that were well behind them in the league gubbed the Mhanks at the Piggery.

I thought Braga were the best team I'd seen at Ibrox for many years. Until Leverkusen anyway! Unbelievable comeback. I have to go with that.

On paper it’s Porto and Galatasaray but both teams were a bit disappointing.

I’d go Braga mainly for the form they were in before playing us and the first 60 mins of their play at Ibrox.

On paper it’s Porto and Galatasaray but both teams were a bit disappointing.

I’d go Braga mainly for the form they were in before playing us and the first 60 mins of their play at Ibrox.
I don’t think Porto were disappointing, we cleared two shots off the line at Ibrox & couldn’t get the spherical object for 60 mins. Over the two legs Braga showed they were poorer in comparison to Porto IMO.

Depends if you mean form 'at time' of the match or 'overall' (history in tournament, in league etc). Porto for me for history in Europe/league and size and Braga for their form at the time of the match. Can only vote 1 so I went with Porto

I don’t think Porto were disappointing, we cleared two shots off the line at Ibrox & couldn’t get the spherical object for 60 mins. Over the two legs Braga showed they were poorer in comparison to Porto IMO.
Maybe disappointing is the wrong word. I meant I thought they would be better than they were considering the names they had whereas Braga played a lot better in that first leg than I thought they were capable of.

Porto then Braga IMHO

we also didnt get the credit we deserved for beating Mitjiland as they are cracking side (as shown they are now in the champions league)

Maybe disappointing is the wrong word. I meant I thought they would be better than they were considering the names they had whereas Braga played a lot better in that first leg than I thought they were capable of.
I’ve got you mate, Braga came flying at 100MPH which I must say I was stunned at!.

Porto probably in terms of their recent pedigree and overall quality.

Braga the most in form and probably the best a teams played against us. For 65 minutes at least. Dont think ive ever witnessed a team do as big a 180° turn as that Braga team. Then beat them away as well for good measure, the 1-0 scoreline flattered them.

Liege have, or rather had, their phenomenal home record and us having not won away in European group stages since 2007 it was a phenomenal result getting the win there.

I think the Midtjylland result gets overlooked a little, i would have that result as the best of the rest alongside Galatasaray. Midtjylland were a good side we made look ordinary, they were a better side than Feyenoord, Rapid and Maribor. I think Osijek were more of a threat than Maribor. Galatasaray had some big names in their lineup but i didnt think much of them overall.
Midtjylland were and are a good side as evidenced by their match at Anfield the other night but I think they were hamstrung by their Manager against us.

I think the way they set up didn’t respect us enough and ended up being a bit suicidal for them. If they had been a bit more measured they probably would have run us a lot closer.

I’ve got you mate, Braga came flying at 100MPH which I must say I was stunned at!.
There were parts of that first half you couldn’t help but admire some of the football they played, we couldn’t get near them. Only Leverkusen has topped them in terms of sides seen at Ibrox European wise for a long time football wise.

I was too young to remember the Marseille home game in 92 (I’ve watched it though) but been told it was a similar type game.

My initial though was Braga since the home leg was an incredible game, but I don't think they were as good a side as Porto overall.

Braga were superior for 60mns, by far our toughest game in Europe under Gerrard, but Porto and Gala are far bigger names and pedigree. Leverkusen were a step above all of them.
I fancy us v anyone in our group, but I expect tough games. Thankfully we have a stronger squad, with goal scorers added to a strengthened defence this season.
Have to agree, Braga were superb fir the first 60 mins, it was an outstanding result to come back and get through that tie.

Nobody going for Feyenoord ? Second or third best team in Holland
Poor league and I can’t remember the last time they were in the CL, never mind the CL knockout stage.

Porto are a usual last 16 CL team, I wasn’t overly impressed with Feyenoord to be honest. In Holland they shook us a bit due to the atmosphere & tenacity, but again defensively we sold the victory we should have had.

As I alluded to earlier, I’d have the Danes, Villareal and Braga definitely above Feyenoord too :)

Last edited:
Went for Standard Liege based purely on the fact that they were unbeaten at home in Europe for over six years. Then they met The Famous and that was that.:))

im surprised midtjylland is missing from the list , they romped there league the same season and made the champions league this year , if not the best team the victories were the most impressive home and away

As most are saying Porto should be the answer. Braga were extremely good against us before that comeback.
I see Feyernoord are a couple down already tonight.

Biggest team share between porto and Galatasaray
Best known players Galatasaray
Best team Porto
Most in form side and best opposition imo Braga

Porto probably the better team, but Braga was undoubtedly more impressive to come back from getting absolutely skudded

Back