The best player who became Rangers manager?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Assuming the Stevie G Express arrives at Ibrox, there is no doubt our new manager was a genuinely world class footballer.

But is he the best player who then became manager of the world's greatest club?

Willie Waddell...? Graeme Souness...?

Even though Ally the player was an absolute legend, is he a contender?

I honestly don't know, but do Liverpool fans regard Souness better than Gerrard?
Gerrard is local and was at the club longer, Souness was poor as Manager and made the error with the Sun.

Gerrard would be more popular but Souness will still be revered, albeit the Sun thing would stick in the minds of many.

Souness for me also. There haven't been too many genuine world class Scottish players in my lifetime but he was one. That plus his arrogance, or self-belief if you will, make him the top. His going left a sour taste in the mouth (plus he was the one who brought Murray into the club) but those 5 years he was manager were the some of the best of times for me watching Rangers.

Never saw WW but my auld man raved about him...

I'd say Souness over SG as he won the lot in Europe (SG never won the league) and I wouldn't put SG in the world class bracket!
SG was Liverpool's John Greig, a great servant that knew how to cajole and drive his team mates on....that's my comparison which is good enough for me Choo Choo

I cannot comment on anything before Souness arrived as to you.. But has the be the magnificent bastard.

This shook them up. They all hated us before that and were laughing at us because we were so shit but along came the magnificent one and they hated us even more, but the rest is wonderful history.

I sincerely sincerely hope there will be a repeat, but I don't know.

If Gerrard is the man he will have to get a Walter Smith type assistant (like Souness did) and a lot of finance.

That's what I think anyway.

Ally for me, Souness was great but his playing time with us was short lived. Ally contributed for over a decade.

Both sensational players who would lead their teams as brilliant captains. But Souness has the silverware and the tash to confirm who was best.

Magnificent bastard
nintchdbpict000144621323.jpg

He was, Dunfermline away in the cup if I remember rightly. As much as I loved the wee man, he wasn’t in the same league as Souness.
Not easy to pick between the 2 of them. I would say they were def in the same league. Souness does maybe come out on top, but the wee man wouldnt be far behind.

Not easy to pick between the 2 of them. I would say they were def in the same league. Souness does maybe come out on top, but the wee man wouldnt be far behind.

Mate I’m not saying Durrant wasn’t a cracking player, and we’ll never really know how good he could have become if he didn’t get injured. But Souness won 3 European Cups and 5 Premiership titles, he could have walked into practically any midfield in Europe when he was at his peak, he was on a different level altogether in my opinion. It’s all about opinions though as they say.

Mate I’m not saying Durrant wasn’t a cracking player, and we’ll never really know how good he could have become if he didn’t get injured. But Souness won 3 European Cups and 5 Premiership titles, he could have walked into practically any midfield in Europe when he was at his peak, he was on a different level altogether in my opinion. It’s all about opinions though as they say.
Haha. Your opinion is valued.

Souness might be Scotland's greatest ever player.

I'm pretty sure Jock Stein suggested that also.

For anyone too young to have seen Souness play , but has seen Roy Keane play . Souness was twice as hard and 3/4 times a better player . He was the beating heart of the best team seen in Britain in my life time , and I'm 50 nearly . Brilliant as Gerrard was I cant have him anywhere near Souness as a player .

Never saw WW but my auld man raved about him...

I'd say Souness over SG as he won the lot in Europe (SG never won the league) and I wouldn't put SG in the world class bracket!
SG was Liverpool's John Greig, a great servant that knew how to cajole and drive his team mates on....that's my comparison which is good enough for me Choo Choo
I don’t want Gerrard anywhere near Ibrox, but are you seriously saying he wasn’t world class?

Best player for us? Greig with McCoist in a close second.

Best player? Souness. No question.

This true Rangers’ man carried our club when the bheast xi were in ascendency .

He could have played for any club in Britain but remained loyal and true.

The word ‘legend’ was made for him.

WATP
This tenfold^^^^^

Notable mention for McLeish who we may not have liked when he was with Aberdeen but it has to be said was a tremendous defender.

I honestly don't know, but do Liverpool fans regard Souness better than Gerrard?
If not, they’d need their heads examined.
Souness was in the top two or three in the world in his position.
Gerrard the same, in England!

Souness was probably the best player to play for us who became manager but his best playing days were not for our club.
I’d suggest the answer would be our greatest ever player although I’m way too young to have seen Waddell.

It’s Souness by an absolute mile. Theres a genuine argument for him being Scotlands best ever player. Certainly Liverpools greatest ever winner.

Only one contender and it's souness. The second for me would be McLeish as I never saw Greig.

I think you misunderstood the question!
I didnt, I think some people underestimate jut how good McCoist was at times.

I know Souness in his pomp was World Class but he was surrounded by better players than Ally and that helped him win European Cups and the rest.

Back