The best player who became Rangers manager?

I think Souness wins it in the minds of most because he was a huge success as a player and as a manager.

Perhaps Waddell would run him close for those of a more mature vintage?

Greig and McCoist are arguably the two greatest players in our history, but both failed as manager.

Which leaves McLeish, but as he never played for us I can understand a certain reluctance to include him high on the list.

If Gerrard does take the job, I still think Souness edges him out.

As great a player as Gerrard was, Souness won infinitely more silverware and indeed European Cups, but if the Gerrard Express blows the Yahoo TIAR diesel clean off the tracks next season, we just might have to revisit this next year.

I didnt, I think some people underestimate jut how good McCoist was at times.

I know Souness in his pomp was World Class but he was surrounded by better players than Ally and that helped him win European Cups and the rest.
You mentioned contribution, that wasn't the question. The question was the best player that became manager. There are not many great players who became manager & I would still put Souness miles ahead of McCoist and if you want to talk contribution John Greig (no mean player himself) trumps him there as well. Oh yes & was it duds that helped McCoist win all his medals?

You mentioned contribution, that wasn't the question. The question was the best player that became manager. There are not many great players who became manager & I would still put Souness miles ahead of McCoist and if you want to talk contribution John Greig (no mean player himself) trumps him there as well. Oh yes & was it duds that helped McCoist win all his medals?
Did I call our 9iar heroes duds?
You don't seem too keen on other people's opinions.
Are you sure a football message board is for you?

Not sure folk understand the question..
Souness although the Liverpool fans now have Gerrard just behind Dalglish as you will see on the
net

He was, Dunfermline away in the cup if I remember rightly. As much as I loved the wee man, he wasn’t in the same league as Souness.
What a thread that would create if we allow the scenario of how good Ian could have been.

William Waddell,for me not even a debate,look what he did as a player,then a manager and also don’t forget his contribution to Rangers away from the Park. We all bask in its glory every second Saturday.

Are you sure a football message board is for you?[/QUt
Your opinion is McCoist, mine Souness. But you still missed what the question was all about. It was not about what their contribution was, it was about their ability as a footballer. No you did not call our 9IAR team duds, but you did hint that Souness was only the player he was because of the players around him!
As for Opinions, These are mine! you don't agree! maybe a Football message Board is not is not the place for you either;)

No you did not call our 9IAR Legends "duds" I was only using that as an example as to why my opinion differs from yours when you stated Souness had better players playing beside him. The thread is about the Best player who became Rangers manager, not who contributed most. By all means have an opinion (thats why I go to the local pub when a random European game is on 10 people 10 different opinions) you think McCoist, I think Souness

No you did not call our 9IAR Legends "duds" I was only using that as an example as to why my opinion differs from yours when you stated Souness had better players playing beside him. The thread is about the Best player who became Rangers manager, not who contributed most. By all means have an opinion (thats why I go to the local pub when a random European game is on 10 people 10 different opinions) you think McCoist, I think Souness[/QU
Cheers for replying Sir/ Madam (I don't your gender that's my ignorance) . But I am hurting big style after yesterday But I will wake up a Protestant Rangers Supporter & hopefully you are the same

Back