The best Rangers player you loved. (Must be only one)

Brian Laudrup.

As a 7 year old, started consciously being aware of enjoying watching football during the 1994 World Cup.

The next season, I began obsessively following Rangers and Mr Laudrup shone brightly in what was far from a vintage season. Looking back, the standard in the league that year was really poor too. The contrast between him and everyone else was so stark.

Watching goals at Hampden in October and Tannadice in December live on Scotsport will be forever etched in my mind.

Barry Ferguson for me. Young Scottish player coming through in a team full of foreign stars, and becoming just as important as any of them. Such a classy player from a young age.

Ally.

I met him 25 years ago and I could barely get a sensible word out. Even now in my mid-50s I’m sure I’d be the same. Still starstruck by him.

Not mentioned yet, and perhaps not the greatest ever Ranger, but Bobby Russell was a fabulous player to watch. A real thoroughbred midfielder.

Barry Ferguson.

A rolls royce of a player, ran games from a young age and never looked out of place in a team of international stars. A moaning faced bastard who demanded the best from his team mates and led by example (most of the time)

He will probably forever be my favourite player.
There’s many others that people will choose which could easily have been my choice guys like Albertz, McCoist, Laudrup, Gough, Gascoigne etc but I really got into football around the time Barry took his place in the side.

Not mentioned yet, and perhaps not the greatest ever Ranger, but Bobby Russell was a fabulous player to watch. A real thoroughbred midfielder.
Incredible we took him from juniors football to play at the very very top of Scottish football.
Rarely spoken about, but in terms of leaps of standard in terms of transfers that’s got to be right up there with anything anyone has ever done.
Don’t know who our scout was in 1977 but they should take a bow.
Also Jock Wallace had balls of steel to try and ultimately succeed with that.
Season 1977-1978 still goes down as a cracker in our history
Not only did we land Russell but Cooper and Smith were signed as well, 3 of our front 6 slotted in perfectly

Was always Davie Cooper for me but to be honest the older I got the more I swayed towards Super.

It genuinely is impossible to split them for me.

Back