The best rangers team I’ve watched.

I watched the video on here a few days ago of our game against Bayern in 99. They were a top team that won and got to finals of Champions League around then, but we took complete control of the game and bar bad luck and some terrible finishing we would have battered them. I am loving our current European run but i don’t think our exploits in Europa can compare to that team competing against the best in Champions League.

I get we’ve had world class players over the years. And we all know how they are. We’ve also made a euro final. But, for me, this is the best team we have had in my life time. (I’m 39).

a collection of really talented players, a fantastic team ethic and brought together by a great management team.

So enjoyable watching them
Your still a pup papa.;)

1999/00 is the best I've watched but we were on a different level financially back then. But even saying that, this team is getting close to that standard. And as for Europe, I have NEVER seen any Rangers team look so consistently confident on this stage, and I'll be 57 in September. These are exciting days indeed :)

Advocaats team prior to the likes of konterman would beat our current side. They went toe to toe with the best. That Parma team had star players all over the park, and Bayern got lucky at Ibrox and and a jammy win at home. This teams not near that level yet.

Numan, Ferguson, Reyna, Gio, Albertz, pre injury mols.... All would be starters in this current team. Only Morelos(on tonight's form) and shagger would get a sniff. Davis if he was a few years younger maybe.

Its close but my team of McCloy, Jardine, Jackson, Mathieson, McDonald, Smith, Stein, Parlane, McLean, Johnson and Johnstone was a pretty decent outfit. We've had better teams and chances at these tournaments but I didn't get to see those play I was just too young. I have to say though that Gerrards style of play in them is the best I've seen consistently.

We rightly talk in glowing terms about Baxter, Stein, DJ, Souness, Cooper, Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist etc.

In 30 years we'll we talking about a good few of this squad with the same reverence

I get we’ve had world class players over the years. And we all know how they are. We’ve also made a euro final. But, for me, this is the best team we have had in my life time. (I’m 39).

a collection of really talented players, a fantastic team ethic and brought together by a great management team.

At our best we are superb.

Advocaat’s team was the best ive seen of us. As much as we disappointed in the CL we had horrible draws and horrible luck. At out best then, we were a match for anyone.

The recruitment has been superb, I always wondered if our management still have a beer or two with the Liverpool scouts.

As a collective and in terms of fitness, professionalism and attitude it’s the best I have seen in my lifetime, not just the playing staff but from top to bottom the culture SG and his team have embedded is different level, that shouldn’t be under estimated, such a difficult thing to do. We still hark back to collapse from January on last season, I think they have learned so much from that and from the time the first ball was kicked this season thats what has been driving them on this season.

i think walters team, that was cheated from marsaille was beat our team now, but think gerrard would be more savvy tactically

Sorry it’s nowhere near as good as the early 90s team not even close.
best team we’ve had for 10 years though !

Didn't say they were. They had a great season 92-93. Not so good in following seasons. I said I trusted them more due to their sheer consistency over the past couple of years.

Apologies mate, I’ve just posted the same, without seeing this.

but yeah, 100%, for various reasons, the best I’ve seen and felt.

Said it in the match thread today. I’m 52 and have the occasional good european performance memory. but more often than not we were an embarrassment in Europe, scum not any better by the way.

This Gerrard team tho? Just keep going and going and its quality attacking football. That 3rd goal today was simply sublime.

Last edited:
Best since 92/93 for me
I think the 99/00 team was better than now, as well as we’ve done. Just didn’t get the luck in Europe that season. Deserved a draw at home to Valencia. Beat PSV home and away. A free kick that never was v Bayern and a big deflection for their equaliser in the last minute or two after we hugely dominated the match. Then in Munich fully deserved at least a draw, hitting woodwork three times, plus the Mols injury in Munich. But for the dodgy free kick or if Mols hadn’t got injured we’d have got through I’m sure and it would have been interesting to see how far we’d have gone. Bear in mind also that Valencia made the final and Bayern got to the semis that season.

We are great to watch, playing some lovely free flowing football....but under Advocaat we were playing a higher quality of team off the park at times.

We outplayed a CL winning Bayern Munich team home and away, sheer bad luck was against us.

Not sure we are at that level now, a tricky draw will tell us. I hope we get Man Utd or similar to see just how good we are against that level of team.

Bring it on.

People need to realise as much as we underachieved in Europe in the 90's and onwards we were playing at the very top European level. This team isn't.

We should enjoy the absolutely remarkable job SG has done but the comparisons are off....even Walter's dour team getting to Manchester was something that is going to be hard to top.
You make valid points but this is not the 90s and competing at the top of the CL is a pipe dream.

The Europa is our aim and we're doing a mighty fine job of it. It's always apples and oranges in comparing rangers teams though, and we shouldn't feel the need to denigrate the past to praise the current (not you).

1999/00 is the best I've watched but we were on a different level financially back then. But even saying that, this team is getting close to that standard. And as for Europe, I have NEVER seen any Rangers team look so consistently confident on this stage, and I'll be 57 in September. These are exciting days indeed :)
I tend to agree. That season we watched a Rolls Royce perform.
I tend to leave out the dosh we spent as i feel that is just relevant to the periods in question.
That being said this squad is getting closer and closer.
It does show how a good coaching set up can ring every ounce of quality out of a player: the organisation with every player knowing exactly what their role is fascinating to watch.
Their movement without the ball must be coached and practised, coached and practised and coached and practised again & again: and the great thing is that every player has bought into it.

This season has simply been a joy as a Rangers fan: and there is still more to come.

I was 55 in December. :cool:

I agree with the OP. I am 39 and have been lucky to have seen good Rangers teams. This current Rangers team is different, as although they haven’t won anything, their style of play and especially this season has been at times scintillating. In Europe they play with no fear and control games playing their game and driving teams into mistakes from our high press. Ultimately in the next 18 days we will be league winners and potentially in the quarterfinals. What a time to be alive. Thank you Rangers.WATP.

The biggest difference between this side and Advocaat's side (and incidentally the reason I'll give the current side the nod) is the difference in budget. This team was concocted on a shoestring following years of garbage. Advocaat had the cash to compete with anyone outwith the super clubs

Sorry but Bobby Russell would walk over the midfield

This team is doing brilliantly in Europe, playing with style. I think next season in the Champion’s League is when to compare them with some of the previous teams. Hopefully the team will be strengthened further in the summer.

We are very exciting to watch and goals can come from anywhere as we vary our play and are so strong in midfield and up front.
Only slight drawback is the defence although quite solid at times still prone to the odd error which would be exploited against playing stronger teams.
Rangers get me more excited than watching the two Carol's (Vorderman and Kirkwood)

Its close but my team of McCloy, Jardine, Jackson, Mathieson, McDonald, Smith, Stein, Parlane, McLean, Johnson and Johnstone was a pretty decent outfit. We've had better teams and chances at these tournaments but I didn't get to see those play I was just too young. I have to say though that Gerrards style of play in them is the best I've seen consistently.
No Greig?

Im 60 and have seen many a great performance in the league and in Europe but I can see where you’re coming from PS

I agree with this. Although Advocaats side often played some scintillating stuff at times, so has this side. We seem to have an attitude now that’s for steel built into it. Never say die, go for the throat and the coaching has been nothing short of miraculous.

The vast majority of us have never witnessed what are watching right now in terms of sheer form and wins.

We are invested this season bar one match in the league cup, our defensive records stands up to history and our league form has the potential to rip up all records.

It’s an outstanding Rangers side.
I totally agree

I trust this manager and this team more than any others I've watched from the 80's till now.
Seriously, this team has done very well in Europe but to state what you have de-cries the 1992/93 team that brought us a domestic treble and the closest we've been to lifting the Champions League

We've had teams over the years that have matched Bayern Munich (with 8/9 World Cup winners) and beaten the English Champions home and away, so a bit to go in my opinion, but f*** me we are a good watch and in Morelos we have a player that would have graced any Rangers team

Back