The big match revisited

Watching Spurs v Chelsea relegation battle in 1975. Very interesting to see 18 year old Ray Wilkins as captain up against Alfie Conn.

Loved it. Watch this regularly as it's my era. State of the pitches, hair styles, even the advertising boards bring a nostalgic chuckle.

Other players of interest in that game. The horrible Davie Hay playing for Chelsea, Ron "chopper" Harris past it, "nice one" Cyril Knowles, and the ever brilliant Pat Jennings.

Watch a couple of Saturdays back Middlesbrough playing they had Graeme Souness and Bobby Murdoch ex scum in the same team.

I recently started watching it I was born in the 80 so watching games from that era is brilliant I was surprised how good the football was and how fast it was and some of them pitches where terrible

Derby county's Baseball ground was the worst of the lot
They had Arsenal v Spurs from 75 on about a week ago at Highbury. There wasnt a blade of grass up the centre of the park from one 18 yard box to the other and the sides where there was grass the ball was bouncing about like it was a ploughed field.

Reactions: fyd
I really enjoy watching football from that period, especially on YouTube sometimes. From watching these games I think the terraces, where they were safe, added a certain "magic" to the game back then that the game today very much lacks.

Villa Park and Anfield used to have a few tonnes of sand on the surface, Baseball Ground was generally a mud bath. Slide tackles galore.

The good old days.

Last edited:
Ferocious tackles every week but rarely any sending's off. Also was unusual for half a team to be out injured the way it is nowadays. Most teams had the same first eleven every week.
And one sub. Watched the spurs Nottingham forest the other day.

Wonderful football and none of the rolling about pish.

Kenny Burns was immense but couldn't play the modern day sanitised pish

And one sub. Watched the spurs Nottingham forest the other day.

Wonderful football and none of the rolling about pish.

Kenny Burns was immense but couldn't play the modern day sanitised pish

Quote from Kenny Burns (Pollok Blue Nose) back in the day.

" I play better when I can taste my own blood". :))

Watching Spurs v Chelsea relegation battle in 1975. Very interesting to see 18 year old Ray Wilkins as captain up against Alfie Conn.
I was amazed myself when I saw it. If I'm being honest I would have thought their careers would have been in different eras.

If you're of that era it's a reminder of how many Scots were prevalent in the upper echelons of English football then compared to the modern day EPL.

Also there is almost always a Rangers/Celtc player connection. Then you get sudden Deja Vu moments like seeing Ivan Golac, who went on to manage Dundee Hivs, playing right back for Southampton.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. :p

The managers would just give a rough outline on what he expected and who on the other team needed to watched.
From there on it was up to the players to play the game. I honestly think today’s teams are over coached.

Just a quick observation. The finishing in those days seemed to be on another level compared to today’s game.

Never went the baseball ground went to pride park the year it opened so just missed out on it my old man said it was a dump thought and he hated going there B-D I've went to the Dell main road and fillbert street before they all got knocked down

Accidently came across The Big Match Revisited watching it the now.. QPR v Burnley.1975. Quite a few in crowd with collar and tie on.
Only 1 sub allowed.
Burnley won 1-0 after clugging a QPR player and ref waving play on while he lay in the six yard box, no stoppage of play and Burnley end up scoring.
Linesmen and players openly arguing face to face about decisions with no Bookings.
Plenty meaty challenges that would never be allowed today.
Crowd on park at end..
Brilliant :D

Watched an 18 yr. old Ally McCoist playing for Sunderland against Liverpool in the FA Cup, an 18 yr. old Gary Stevens making his Everton debut (and scoring) against Ipswich, an 18 year old Trevor Stephen playing for Burnley. A staggering number of Scots playing for all the top sides way back then, some of whom got very few international caps, they would probably get into the Hall of Fame today.

Love it.

The state of the pitches, Kenny Burns Jason Vorheesing opponents, sensible commentary. Glorious.

Wonder what a youngster brought up on EPL and champions league football makes of it?

Back