The bluebells on Ibrox gates

uaerangers

Now I know the song goes “the bluebells are blue” and I see on social media with many of our fans cycling to Ibrox of late and posting pictures at the famous blue gates, that the bluebells are indeed blue.

Has this always been the case, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

I seem to recall at times throughout my youth, that these bluebell flowers on the Ibrox gates, were actually painted white or possibly a very light blue?

Can anyone shed any light on, if indeed, the bluebells have ALWAYS been blue?

They are white in this photo

Ok, so I’m not wrong in that they USED to be white.

Now, they are painted blue (apologies I can’t post pictures, but if someone wishes to post any recent pics from their travels to the ground, have a cyber pint on me).

Does anyone know why the change from blue to white (or white to blue) or what colour they originally were or are “supposed” to be?

Ok, so I’m not wrong in that they USED to be white.

Now, they are painted blue (apologies I can’t post pictures, but if someone wishes to post any recent pics from their travels to the ground, have a cyber pint on me).

Does anyone know why the change from blue to white (or white to blue) or what colour they originally were or are “supposed” to be?
They never have been white,as said above,a pale shade of blue.
WATP

Right suggestions they were pale blue, and not white, yet they are now dark blue-the question still remains...........why the change?

I think somewhere back in the day they were painted over with the same colour as the rest of the gates and no one really noticed them. Then in the early 80's (???) I think when they were moved they were painted light blue as I think it is only since around that time we started singing the song.

At 31 years of age I’m very embarrassed to say that I never knew this is what the Bluebells song was about. To maybe save me the ridicule I should also point out that up until 2 years ago I never knew my grans name was Isabella and not Ella.
How can you not know your grans name :)) :))

How can you not know your grans name :)) :))

Tell me about it! She took a funny turn a few years ago and ended up in hospital. I drove up and met my brother at the entrance and when we went up to the front desk he asked what room Isabella Russell had been moved to. I said who’s Isabella and he said Gran. That’s when it all clicked. Even the woman at the desk had a good laugh at me. Always just know her as Gran or Granny Ella.

You cant talk about The Pearly Gates, but those gates are the closest thing to Heaven I will ever see WATP

At 31 years of age I’m very embarrassed to say that I never knew this is what the Bluebells song was about. To maybe save me the ridicule I should also point out that up until 2 years ago I never knew my grans name was Isabella and not Ella.
If it is any consolation EagleThursday, I am double your age and did not know the Bluebells connection either.

She wasn’t/isn’t from East Kilbride is she?By coincidence my great aunt was Isabella and everyone called her Ella.Except me.From the dark side of my family.

Sorry mate, meant to tag you in my last post.
No worries mate had a chuckle there certainly not from the dark side.:D Funny as a kids my granny and her used to take my sister and me to see the walk pass through Saracen Street.She’d be cheering away with everyone else.:oops:

No worries mate had a chuckle there certainly not from the dark side.:D Funny as a kids my granny and her used to take my sister and me to see the walk pass through Saracen Street.She’d be cheering away with everyone else.:oops:

Funnily enough my gran used to stay just behind Saracen Street for a few years so I got a bit of a fright when I saw it in your post! Mine used to do the same but her favourite was the juvenile walk and she’d take me down to Partick for the day to watch it. Then we’d go along to Woolworths and she’d buy me Batman or ninja turtles toys.

Ah simpler times eh mate.

Back