The board must share some of the blame.

Shamrock hand and crown

It’s been obvious for years that the songbook had to change. Yet we got follow with pride.
We knew that FARE were monitoring our games and all we got was a message from the SLO.
Then the board launched everyone, anyone and it was great. However, it did not address the elephant in the room.
Now we are facing a heavy price for them being incompetent.
So It now needs the board to call a meeting with all those who represent the Rangers support and sort It.
So get round the table and sort the mess out.
The Rangers support is waiting for change and direction.So if the board won’t call a meeting Will someone please take the lead and sort it out.

The board maybe didn’t lead thickos by the hand and give them a macaroni picture of what not to sing
But any adult with a brain bigger than that of a gnat knows that TBB isn’t allowed.
19th Century Terrorist isn’t allowed. The pope isn’t allowed

It’s been obvious for years that the songbook had to change. Yet we got follow with pride.
We knew that FARE were monitoring our games and all we got was a message from the SLO.
Then the board launched everyone, anyone and it was great. However, it did not address the elephant in the room.
So It now needs the board to call a meeting with all those who represent the Rangers support and sort It.
The Rangers support is waiting for change and direction.So if the board won’t call a meeting Will someone please take the lead and sort it out.

I totally agree, my brother got told not to murder anyone by the police but he did and now hes in jail! its a disgrace, why didn't the police sit outside his house and follow him to stop him from murdering someone?

just because they told him not to murder wasn't enough.

The board maybe didn’t lead thickos by the hand and give them a macaroni picture of what not to sing
But any adult with a brain bigger than that of a gnat knows that TBB isn’t allowed.
It's far too difficult for some to understand this

Your post eminds me of a scene in the west wing.

You know, you remind me of the man that lived by the river. He heard a radio report that the river was going to rush up and flood the town, and all the residents should evacuate their homes. But the man said, “I'm religious. I pray. God loves me. God will save me.” The waters rose up. A guy in a row boat came along and he shouted, “Hey, hey you! You in there. The town is flooding. Let me take you to safety.” But the man shouted back, “I'm religious. I pray. God loves me. God will save me.” A helicopter was hovering overhead and a guy with a megaphone shouted, “Hey you, you down there. The town is flooding. Let me drop this ladder and I'll take you to safety.” But the man shouted back that he was religious, that he prayed, that God loved him and that God will take him to safety. Well, the man drowned. And standing at the gates of St. Peter, he demanded an audience with God. “Lord,” he said, “I'm a religious man, I pray. I thought you loved me. Why did this happen?” God said, “I sent you a radio report, a helicopter, and a guy in a rowboat. What the hell are you doing here?”

utter nonsense, we've been told for a decade not to sing TBB, the wee blue book was issued when?, this is clowns who think their staunchness is more important than the club, the Club have no blame here just those who continue to sing the songs and add ons, and those who make excuses for them.

Last edited:
I think there is a case for total clarity on what is acceptable .

Some within our support have to get this , if it takes the club leading them by the hand and spelling it out , so be it

Plain English required.

If board members sing the songs in question at matches they are to blame, if they don't they are not. This is a matter of individual responsibility for each and every supporter. Rangers is a football club, not a nanny state.

utter nonsense, we've been told for a decade not to sing TBB, the wee blue book was issued when?, this is clowns who this their staunchness is more important than the club, the Club have no blame here just those who continue to sing the songs and add ons, and those who make excuses for them.
Blame all round IMO. The fact the Board should have been more explicit in repeating again and again whichever songs and words would bring trouble does not though, for one second, allow people to feign ignorance.

We all knew the songs, we all knew the words. People shouldn’t need to keep being told. They sang it because they thought it didn’t matter and they sang it because they didn’t believe anything would happen. The Club could have made sure that impression wasn’t allow to build, but the Club can’t stop people doing things they absolutely know are not allowed.

But it’s ok to sully the head of the commonwealth without any fear of punishment? I see what you are saying but absolutely infuriates me that it’s a one way street and many of us are accepting it. This is why they continue to walk all over us. We need as a support and a club to grow a collective set of balls and fight for parity. That’s all I want, I don’t want Rangers to receive special treatment I just want us treated on an equal basis. That isn’t too much to ask for imo.

utter nonsense, we've been told for a decade not to sing TBB, the wee blue book was issued when?, this is clowns who this their staunchness is more important than the club, the Club have no blame here just those who continue to sing the songs and add ons, and those who make excuses for them.

The Club launched a campaign featuring Dave king only weeks before the game EveryoneAnyone to the world media. Blame game is ridiculous everyone knows the naughty words they need to stop being ignorant.

But it’s ok to sully the head of the commonwealth without any fear of punishment? I see what you are saying but absolutely infuriates me that it’s a one way street and many of us are accepting it. This is why they continue to walk all over us. We need as a support and a club to grow a collective set of balls and fight for parity. That’s all I want, I don’t want Rangers to receive special treatment I just want us treated on an equal basis. That isn’t too much to ask for imo.
What is it the journalists like to say here?
Whataboutery!

I don’t give 2 flying fucks what they do. There’s an element determined to drag our club through the mud.
We need to fight yes. But how can we do that when there’s people even still today banging on about getting to sing TBB etc

What does it take to get it through their skulls?

Plain English required.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/uefa-statement/

RANGERS has been ordered by UEFA to close a section of Ibrox Stadium for the return leg of the club’s Europa League play-off tie against Legia Warsaw on Thursday, August 29.

UEFA has ruled that a group of Rangers supporters were guilty of racist behaviour – which includes sectarian singing – during the match against St Joseph’s at Ibrox on July 18.

Our supporters have been asked repeatedly by the Club to refrain from indulging in this, and other forms of unacceptable behaviour. Sadly, the warnings have fallen on deaf ears and the actions of this minority will cause the Club and the majority of good and decent Rangers supporters to pay a heavy penalty.

UEFA has ruled that a section, or sections containing no fewer than 3000 seats must be shut off during the club’s next European match, which is the home match against Legia Warsaw. The area, or areas to be closed will be announced in due course and the Club will do its best to restrict the impact to offending supporters.

Unfortunately a significant number of supporters, innocent of any wrong doing, will be unable to attend next week’s match. This is deeply regrettable to all at the Club and we hope that the guilty parties, who attracted the attention of UEFA might reflect on the damage their unacceptable behaviour is causing Rangers and their fellow supporters.

If any individual supporter is unable to behave in a civilised manner then please stay away from Ibrox and our Club. You are harming Rangers and that is something a genuine supporter would never wish to do.

Rangers chairman Dave King stated: “Rangers is a club open to all and we will continue to convey this message at every opportunity through our Everyone Anyone initiative.

“Rangers has players and supporters from many religions, cultures and backgrounds but we are one and the same when we gather to support our club. If any supporter cannot accept that then Rangers is not the club for them”.

Some within our support have to get this , if it takes the club leading them by the hand and spelling it out , so be it

Plain English required.

I think this pretty well sums it up.

Some people really DO need to be told several times about things (we've all seen them at work and school, and even in the pub).

Messages on the tannoy, notices on the big screens, flyers handed out, posters on the walls, a page in the programme, etc.

Repetition repetition.

Our Club has been pretty poor with heading off what many of us saw was coming.

It's all very well saying that those particular fans shouldn't need to be told over and over.
But some of them DO need to be told over and over.
And again.

This is also a good point but as things stand we are going to have to clean our act up first if there is to be any hope of ever gaining parity.

It may stick in the craw but thems the facts, empty stadium and expulsion are next on their agenda.

Things have gotten real.

How we go about dismantling FARE begins with cutting off their supply of ammunition.

The club lacks leadership, is re-active and effectively asks to be shafted. Embarrassingly amateur.

This may be true but in the case of being told of a list of songs not to sing people are just being wilfully stupid by asking for “ leadership” .

The list is out there , everyone knows it so I’m not buying the board getting the blame for this one .

before every game at Ibrox for 10 years now they play a message over the tannoy about accepable behavior, if clowns then ignore it whos fault is that?
That’s absolutely true.

But the Board did let the message go stale. The same script, every week. It’s become background noise that people clearly stopped paying attention to. It’s most like “aye, the club are just doing that because they have to look like they’re doing something, it doesn’t really matter”.

The Everyone Anyone campaign is a brilliant initiative, genuinely ground-breaking. But a few people did say at the time that the message regarding “banned” songs and words was a bit too subtle. It was almost diluted by the, very welcome, focus on ethnic minorities, LGBT community and disabled fans. The Club should have used the opportunity’s to reiterate to fans that we have certain songs and certain words that, like it or not, bring trouble.

None of that excuses individuals actions, people are responsible for themselves. But the Club could have lead the fans more assertively. And the Club could certainly be more assertive in exposing FARE for the prejudiced, premeditated scrutiny of our club.

The board aren't to blame for the fans who choose to ignore that we've not to sing TBB, mention the pope or the word 19th Century Terrorist.

They are, however, failing us well and truly behind the scenes in terms of how the fight against the one sided attacks on us continue.

Us fans only have power to stop singing the songs.

The board have the ability to reach the corridors of power where plans are made against us. They continually choose not to.

It shouldn't take the board to tell grown adults not to shout f*ck the pope at a football game.
I'm sorry but if you need led by the hand you probably shouldn't be allowed to go to football anyway.

"It shouldnt take the board"? The point is it DOES take the board to take control of the situation. They're behaving like rank amateurs and it makes me wonder about their ability to engage professionally with the fans.

Follow with pride speaks for itself, no racism no bigotry, no need for a meeting, the support as a whole knows about follow with pride.

RANGERS has been ordered by UEFA to close a section of Ibrox Stadium for the return leg of the club’s Europa League play-off tie against Legia Warsaw on Thursday, August 29.

UEFA has ruled that a group of Rangers supporters were guilty of racist behaviour – which includes sectarian singing – during the match against St Joseph’s at Ibrox on July 18.

Our supporters have been asked repeatedly by the Club to refrain from indulging in this, and other forms of unacceptable behaviour. Sadly, the warnings have fallen on deaf ears and the actions of this minority will cause the Club and the majority of good and decent Rangers supporters to pay a heavy penalty.

UEFA has ruled that a section, or sections containing no fewer than 3000 seats must be shut off during the club’s next European match, which is the home match against Legia Warsaw. The area, or areas to be closed will be announced in due course and the Club will do its best to restrict the impact to offending supporters.

Unfortunately a significant number of supporters, innocent of any wrong doing, will be unable to attend next week’s match. This is deeply regrettable to all at the Club and we hope that the guilty parties, who attracted the attention of UEFA might reflect on the damage their unacceptable behaviour is causing Rangers and their fellow supporters.

If any individual supporter is unable to behave in a civilised manner then please stay away from Ibrox and our Club. You are harming Rangers and that is something a genuine supporter would never wish to do.

Rangers chairman Dave King stated: “Rangers is a club open to all and we will continue to convey this message at every opportunity through our Everyone Anyone initiative.

“Rangers has players and supporters from many religions, cultures and backgrounds but we are one and the same when we gather to support our club. If any supporter cannot accept that then Rangers is not the club for them”.
I was thinking more along the lines of specifics, yes some really are that dim .

Thing is, that’s not plain English.

People shouldn’t need it spelled out to them, but they clearly do. “Unacceptable” is subjective. What is “unacceptable” to UEFA isn’t “unacceptable” to individuals within our support. The Club statement should have said, very simply and plainly, “singing TBB and using the word ‘19th Century Terrorist’ is unacceptable behaviour and fans who do so should reflect on the harm that this causes Rangers”.

What is it the journalists like to say here?
Whataboutery!

I don’t give 2 flying fucks what they do. There’s an element determined to drag our club through the mud.
We need to fight yes. But how can we do that when there’s people even still today banging on about getting to sing TBB etc

What does it take to get it through their skulls?
As we all know the “journalists” in this country wouldn’t condemn them or their support for anything yet would be quick to jump on a rangers supporter for farting ffs.
They have had years to comment on child abuse and the subsequent cover up yet have left it alone as big bad ranjurs are singing songs.
For what its worth my stance is he’s the add ons need to go, the fans need to get streetwise before our club gets even worse sanctions but it just absolutely pisses me off about the blatant inconsistencies when it comes to us. That’s my point and for the record I hate that whataboutery word. It’s a word invented by journalists to let them continue turning a blind eye

Nothing to do with the board everything to do with idiots who can’t take heed of warnings
The writing was on the wall that this punishment was coming

Plain English required.
I don’t know what’s acceptable but I and every spectator, clearly know what is unacceptable

"It shouldnt take the board"? The point is it DOES take the board to take control of the situation. They're behaving like rank amateurs and it makes me wonder about their ability to engage professionally with the fans.
Ban the Union Bears.That will make a point that people will take notice of.
There is an announcement every game telling the crowd not to indulge in sectarian chanting and they don't listen so make an example of them.
The manager has said to cut it out as well.
We have had songbooks issued to us as well.
It's on here every European game telling us we are being watched.
We have been fined in the past and it still happens.
Does Dave King need to go round the whole stadium telling every c*nt to stop it or will people act like adults for once?
I genuinely can't believe that grown men need guidance about what is acceptable.If it wasn't so serious you would actually laugh at people for saying they need someone to tell them that it's wrong to shout f*ck the pope at a football game.

That’s absolutely true.

But the Board did let the message go stale. The same script, every week. It’s become background noise that people clearly stopped paying attention to. It’s most like “aye, the club are just doing that because they have to look like they’re doing something, it doesn’t really matter”.

The Everyone Anyone campaign is a brilliant initiative, genuinely ground-breaking. But a few people did say at the time that the message regarding “banned” songs and words was a bit too subtle. It was almost diluted by the, very welcome, focus on ethnic minorities, LGBT community and disabled fans. The Club should have used the opportunity’s to reiterate to fans that we have certain songs and certain words that, like it or not, bring trouble.

None of that excuses individuals actions, people are responsible for themselves. But the Club could have lead the fans more assertively. And the Club could certainly be more assertive in exposing FARE for the prejudiced, premeditated scrutiny of our club.
there is absolutely nothing the Club can do about FARE if we want to play in UEFA tournaments, you cant stop them, you cant challenge them and you cant criticise them, UEFA would just ramp up the sanctions.

Follow with pride speaks for itself, no racism no bigotry, no need for a meeting, the support as a whole knows about follow with pride.
It clearly doesn’t speak for itself though. It’s clearly too subtle a message. What UEFA views as “racism” is not seen as racism but many of our fans - including myself. But what we see it as is fucking irrelevant. What matters is UEFA’s definition and that obviously needs spelled out way, way more explicitly. It’s about a decade since the club mentioned a specific song, we all know what it is. We all know what the word is. But the Club need to repeat it so that people realise it wasn’t just a fad and UEFA would move onto other things, it’s a permanent ban.

there is absolutely nothing the Club can do about FARE if we want to play in UEFA tournaments, you cant stop them, you cant challenge them and you cant criticise them, UEFA would just ramp up the sanctions.
You can work behind the scenes to undermine their unjustified credibility with UEFA. You can lobby, you can gain influence and allies. It’s not a quick process, it’s not going to have an effect overnight, but it can be done and it needs to be done.

You can disarm them , that has to be the aim .

Thoroughly pissed off this morning at the thought that our club, which is just about back on it's feet, can be dragged down by this sort of stuff.Playing into the hands of the haters just about sums it up.I bet Lawwell and Co can't believe their luck at how utterly stupid some of our so called fans are.Let's face it, it will be like walking on eggs for the foreseeable future.The club needs a strategy and quickly.

Only those with the IQ of an ice cube need it spelling out to them - and they are beyond redemption anyway.

Well said. Most of us have known for years that eventually this would all bite us on the arse. For years now more and more fans generally mumble or dont sing the add ons. But there is still that labotomised element that belt them out with gusto. I think this element is going to find themselves more and more on the periphery within our support. Like the ones that couldn't accept MJ signing and made a lot of noise about it. Wasnt long before folk were just laughing at them as they slowly made there way back into the games. Bouncing around like mad whenever he scored. Hooefully a major positive from this is we get our house in order early doors before UEFA start taking an interest in our league and the SFA begin to enforce heavier sanctions. Then we could start the whataboutery in earnest by highlighting the mentally challengeds sectarian songbook from a position of strength

I thi
I think at the very least members of FARE should be made to declare their football and religious allegiances before being allowed to comment on any team. The mhanky mhob would be up in arms if a body of rangers minded people were put into the piggery to pass judgement on their games.
But we already know the answer to that one anyway a blind man would tell you fare comprise of bitter anti Rangers khunts

Many fucking threads are we going to get on this? Can we not all agree to stop singing songs with references to 19th Century Terrorists, IRA, the Pope etc and just get on with our season please?
I'd be absolutely with what you're saying mate but going by a lot of the replies on threads it doesn't seem that way.

A bit strong in this instance. Everyone knows how the land lies in Europe. There's a collective responsibility on this one, the entire support and how we address issues (or not). On this one the board could've done everything possible and it would've still happened.

I do think the board, fans of means and influence, fans groups etc need to look at strategies and how we plan and coordinate ourselves. How we recognise threats and basically look after our interests. We are very poor.

Back