The Bristol Bar

Speaking of the Louden. Local guy "Big Robbie" when stopped in Duke Street by two Irish blokes wearing full green and grey asked him "where's the best pub for a pint?"
He pointed them to the Louden :))

I would never associate Duke Street with north Glasgow and it’s a bit odd that an East Ender like yourself is muddying the water on this one.

For example Rangers always go to the east end to play Celtic it’s never described as Rangers going across the Clyde to the North of the city.

100% correct, you can cross the clyde to get to the southside of the city but you dont do it in the opposite direction to get directly to the north. Its either the town, west side or east end. Robert has scored 0/10 for his Glasgow Knowledge, ha ha
glasgow-districts-map-map-of-glasgow-districts-scotland-uk-regarding-glasgow-east-end-map.jpg

I've got my work's night out same night as the OP in West Brewery at the East End of the Green.

Starts at 4pm. Few of us were gonna fck off at 7pm once the free drink finishes plus to watch the game. Was thinking the very same as the OP or The Auctioneers. I would even go into Town and get Subway to The Louden.

Use them or lose them

I would never associate Duke Street with north Glasgow and it’s a bit odd that an East Ender like yourself is muddying the water on this one.

For example Rangers always go to the east end to play Celtic it’s never described as Rangers going across the Clyde to the North of the city.
It's not difficult, The River Clyde runs from East to West and splits the City in two, North and South.
The rest of the City is defined from the Original center of the City which is High Street or Castle Street.
East, and West. That is why all the close numbers run from High Street

It's not difficult, The River Clyde runs from East to West and splits the City in two, North and South.
The rest of the City is defined from the Original center of the City which is High Street or Castle Street.
My

Robert stop now m8. The hole you are digging is getting bigger. Next time Im in the North East of Glasgow we willl debate this in the Bristol Bar ;-)

He is correct though about property numbers starting at Glasgow Cross.

yep its common knowledge. But the Clyde does not split Glasgow's north from the south. Logically you would think so but it does not. Look at my post above. You can not cross the Clyde and go to the north of Glasgow but you can go the other direction and go into the south of Glasgow.
glasgow-districts-map-map-of-glasgow-districts-scotland-uk-regarding-glasgow-east-end-map.jpg

yep its common knowledge. But the Clyde does not split Glasgow's north from the south. Logically you would think so but it does not. Look at my post above. You can not cross the Clyde and go to the north of Glasgow but you can go the other direction and go into the south of Glasgow.
I'm not disagreeing with you in that part.
I was also born in the East End.
P.S. I've also worked in Harrogate. :D

We play Hibs on 20th December thinking of watching it it in the Bristol as an Xmas night out , as train station right next to it for everyone getting home.
Probably about a dozen of us, will it be rammed packed and will I need my gringo gang credentials for safe passage :cool:
A couple of the west end boys slightly nervous coming into Northern territory.:D
I thought the Bristol had moved to Oz.

We play Hibs on 20th December thinking of watching it it in the Bristol as an Xmas night out , as train station right next to it for everyone getting home.
Probably about a dozen of us, will it be rammed packed and will I need my gringo gang credentials for safe passage :cool:
A couple of the west end boys slightly nervous coming into Northern territory.:D
Check the Alexandra Bar for availability. You’ll be very welcome.

The East End is blue..,,,,,or as Robert Marshall would call it ...the Northside is blue.

Since this thread is about the Bristol, then a massive salute to the management and staff for a memorable day in support of Erskine Hospital. From the wonderful display of poppies projected on to the pub, the respectful décor inside, the staff proudly dressed as ATS members, the nostalgic swing music, to the display of military of vehicles outside, and the soulful rendition of the Last Post and the accordian band playing the Services classics, a truly memorable Remembrance Day was commemorated by all.
Proud to be a Ranger and proud of one and all!

Dennistoun is in the east end.
Without Doubt, Born Raised and Educated there, Dennistoub is to the East of the City Centre, So named after John Dennistoun MP, who made his trade in the Cotton Industry,
Dennistoun Estate Bordered on the west By Eastercraigs, South. Duke Street, North Alexandra Parade and East, Cumbernauld Road
Could give you a whole list of the local History. but is definitely North of the River Clyde
Altiora Peto

Without Doubt, Born Raised and Educated there, Dennistoub is to the East of the City Centre, So named after John Dennistoun MP, who made his trade in the Cotton Industry,
Dennistoun Estate Bordered on the west By Eastercraigs, South. Duke Street, North Alexandra Parade and East, Cumbernauld Road
Could give you a whole list of the local History. but is definitely North of the River Clyde
Altiora Peto

north of the Clyde is not north Glasgow, you are twisting it Robert. ha ha.

your knowledge of Glasgow is to be applauded, your geography skills however not so ;-)

Any true east end Glaswegian, or Glaswegian for that matter will tell you the bristol bar is in the east end. Not the north or to rephrase afterward the north of the Clyde to win a debate (ha ha) or the northeast to clutch at straws. It is THE EAST END.

No mate, he did state he was from the west end.
He's a balornock/springburn boy .He went to Albert secondary . That would explain his lack of knowledge.He also pays to watch rangers on holiday only to go up to his room at half time to find it on the telly in his roomAll the best wee man .Enjoy the holiday

north of the Clyde is not north Glasgow, you are twisting it Robert. ha ha.

your knowledge of Glasgow is to be applauded, your geography skills however not so ;-)

Any true east end Glaswegian, or Glaswegian for that matter will tell you the bristol bar is in the east end. Not the north or to rephrase afterward the north of the Clyde to win a debate (ha ha) or the northeast to clutch at straws. It is THE EAST END.
Of course it is the east end of the city, the question is ' is it North Of the Clyde' ;)

I am at most 10 mins away in sunny Barmulloch from the Bristol, if Duke street is the east end what is Shettleston, the Far East?
Semantics aside, will talk them into it, if too busy the Louden or AllyBar decent alternatives.
If Shettleston is the far east, Baillieston and Easterhouse must be fkn Siberia

You're correct mate, if anything splits the North and the East end it's the M8 motorway

I forgot the M8 was there before the River Clyde

you wont let this lie, the m8 was built on part of the old canal, not the clyde. ha ;-) So in modern-day Glasgow its the m8, in days of yore its the monklands canal. Away with you and yer fascination of the clyde. You go through the clyde tunnel from the south to the west, not the north side. You cross the Jamacia bridge from the south to the city centre. And you cross from cambuslang in the soth across the clydeford road bridge to the east end (carmyle). THE CLYDE does NOT separate the north from the south of the city. Can we now just agree to disagree?

Last edited:
Isn't the main artery east from the city centre Duke St? Duke St is slap bang in the middle of the east end.

Ally Parade/Royston Rd is north east (Riddrie/Ruchazie etc), Gallowgate/London Road for the south east ( Tollcross/Carmyle etc).

Did the Gringo run in the East? I always remember it spray painted round the back of the Broomfield Tavern and the chippy (Ralphs?).

gringo was north of the city, dont u start. Around here it would be powery or the fleet. If I remember right, big Rab ran with the Parkhead rebels.

Last edited:
gringo was north of the city, dont u start. Around here it would be powery or the fleet. If I remember right, big Rab ran with the Parkhead rebels.
Fleet?, nearest Fleet to us was Cranhill
Dennistoun was Powery and Monks
Duke Street was San Toi and Gallowgate Mad Squad
Carntyne was Goucho and Tyne
Calton was Tongs
I had a few much older brothers, never ran about as a gang member but knew most of them either through school or going to see The Rangers
Ps Glasow is split in two, North and South by the River Clyde :) :) :)

Fleet?, nearest Fleet to us was Cranhill
Dennistoun was Powery and Monks
Duke Street was San Toi and Gallowgate Mad Squad
Carntyne was Goucho and Tyne
Calton was Tongs
I had a few much older brothers, never ran about as a gang member but knew most of them either through school or going to see The Rangers
Ps Glasow is split in two, North and South by the River Clyde :) :) :)

PS Glasgow is also split in two (North/South) by the M8.:cool:

Last edited:
Enjoying this wee debate boys. Just to muddy the water even more, would you say Ibrox is south or south west Glasgow? I have heard various commentators over the years use different ways to describe its exact location. If it is south west then the Bristol could definetly be described as NE.

Enjoying this wee debate boys. Just to muddy the water even more, would you say Ibrox is south or south west Glasgow? I have heard various commentators over the years use different ways to describe its exact location. If it is south west then the Bristol could definetly be described as NE.
Ibrox imo is in the South of Glasgow, ( pretty sure in the old days it was SW in the post code ) Pollok would be South West.
600 Duke Street in the East of the City and Barmulloch, North East
Harrowgate Bear will confirm this

Latest posts

Back