The Class of '78

Doddie with the equalizer. A big game goal scorer again.
What a player he was.
In amongst all this Rangers Da nonsense, here was a genuine box to box midfield dynamo, who could pass, tackle, and score huge goals against any level of opposition.
Alex MacDonald is still in my all time Rangers Eleven and I've seen some utterly magnificent midfield players play for us.

Wonderful night. Remember after the first leg thinking we were out.

Alex Cameron said PSV had never lost at home in a European tie. Well. That was it.

What a player he was.
In amongst all this Rangers Da nonsense, here was a genuine box to box midfield dynamo, who could pass, tackle, and score huge goals against any level of opposition.
Alex MacDonald is still in my all time Rangers Eleven and I've seen some utterly magnificent midfield players play for us.
Wee doddle presented me with my first football medal. Great player

Bobby Russell was a brilliant player. I used to think whenever he played well, the team played well.

He broke into the team at the same time as Davie Cooper. For a while, I think Russell was the better player for us.
He certainly was in season 1977/78.
They had an almost telepathic understanding on the pitch.
Two players with great talent allied to a football brain.
Such a shame that the injury Bobby received v Dussledorf in 1979, curtailed his effectiveness for us.

What a player he was.
A player who got better and better with age.

Wonderful memories - my dad had just qualified for free Continental passes on the railway. So it was all fancy trains and Sealink ferries. PSV had a great reputation - and the Dutch had an amazing National Team, but those were still days when we thought we could be winning European trophies.

One of my favourite ever Rangers games. No live TV coverage, sportscene highlights later on. Would often sit in the kitchen with my scarf on and listen to the radio when we played in Europe or midweek but this time I decided to “Likely Lads” it and wait on the highlights.

An absolute thriller and those twenty minutes or so of coverage were a rollercoaster of emotion culminating in that wonderful Bobby Russell goal.

Just a pity we ran out of steam against Cologne in the quarters because I truly believe it could have been our year.

i went on the bus from the Glassy picked up some at the Bristol, the guy who organised it was called Harry Johnston
Tuesday night back Thursday night no toilet on the bus, pissed into a beer barrel at the front.
brilliant game.

Watching Kenny Watson hit a 25 yard screamer into the net and then realising big DJ got a nick on it in the way in :D .

It’s up there with one of the best away wins in Europe we’ve had.

Joined the OK Loyal so I could travel to the game with work mates, it's up there with the 2-0 Bayern game as the best Rangers performances I've witnessed. A magical night.

Back