The classic no.9/centre forward

Fu Manchu

Used to be one of the most vital parts of a successful team in bygone years.Has the modern game made the position redundant?

Not redundant, but not essential either. Which would have been unthinkable even 20 years ago. What next - no need for a centre back?

Not redundant, but not essential either. Which would have been unthinkable even 20 years ago. What next - no need for a centre back?
We could easily play with a left back and central midfielder at the back, along with basically a right winger and left winger in the back 4.

Thought not having one would be Man City's downfall this year! Definitely not redundant, Haaland could be the difference to them winning the champions league. Would have felt much more confident on Wednesday with Morelos starting up front
Morelos does what he does and it is not really a criticism,

but if he scores then great,

but he can' be relied upon to score,

he's no Ian Rush

breaks my heart every time I think of Negri,

he could have been our Rush!!

The game has changed dramatically all over the pitch due to Pep and others. False 9’s, attacking full backs, ball playing keepers etc etc.

It’s why dare I say some older bears still can’t take to players like Tav because they haven’t caught up with the modern game.

The game has changed dramatically all over the pitch due to Pep and others. False 9’s, attacking full backs, ball playing keepers etc etc.

It’s why dare I say some older bears still can’t take to players like Tav because they haven’t caught up with the modern game.
Attacking full backs aren’t a modern development. They became commonplace from the 1960s - think of Carlos Alberto and plenty of other Brazilians. Facchetti. Krol. Dare I say it, Tommy Gemmell. And by the 1970s, most British clubs had overlapping full backs.

Attacking full backs aren’t a modern development. They became commonplace from the 1960s - think of Carlos Alberto and plenty of other Brazilians. Facchetti. Krol. Dare I say it, Tommy Gemmell. And by the 1970s, most British clubs had overlapping full backs.

What I meant was that is has become more emphasis for full backs to become attackers rather than defenders. I don’t doubt full backs in days gone by have been overlapping full backs but traditionally their first job was always to defend and there certainly has been a huge transition there from the 90s to the 00s.

Remember even 15 years ago Boyd was seen as a bit of an old fashioned striker cos he wasnt nearly as effective without a striking partner in a 442.

Weird question. Have you not witnessed how Rangers have performed without a striker recently?

Having one would’ve made all the difference to us!
Genuinely don’t think it’s weird.we have managed to get to a Euro final and Man City have won the EPL without one,Just a thought.

Of course you need a recognised centre forward.Imo we would have one in Seville if Alfie or even a fully fit Roofe was on the pitch.
The Scottish Cup Final would been won in regulation time as well.

Aye

So much so that Man City just spent years trying it and just went out and spent a %^*& load of money on a.

Oh wait

We have missed Morelos like f*ck in recent weeks

Thought not having one would be Man City's downfall this year! Definitely not redundant, Haaland could be the difference to them winning the champions league. Would have felt much more confident on Wednesday with Morelos starting up front
You need your two wide players and midfielders to be hitting good numbers for this to work something city have done

It is not a redundant thing it is a modern obsession with numbers replacing the old positions.
This to me is a joke as you see a player getting stripped to come on and then spending 5-10 minutes or more looking at diagrams etc. with a coach.

A back 3 of Tav, lundstram and bassey. :D

Fast, decent in the air and all want to get forward

Maybe

Listened to a podcast recently with the current Arsenal goalkeeper and they were saying within the next 10-15 years top teams will not be playing with a conventional keeper, the goalkeeper will play in the sweeper position (even further forward than current keepers like Ederson etc) and the risk of losing the ball will be mitigated due to the intensity of the teams pressing.

No need for a goalkeeper, just a centreback who drops back when he has to. A proper sweeper keeper.

Used to be one of the most vital parts of a successful team in bygone years.Has the modern game made the position redundant?
Modernisms aside , domestically Rangers have massive possession and create a plethora of chances in games so having the classic 2 CF Partnership would seem logical.

Hasn’t been done in a long time and I think often costs us dearly. We rarely beat teams heavily which we perhaps would do with more firepower front and centre.

My dad is 82 and he loves Tav but you’ll never stop his belief that a fullbacks first job is to stop crosses. Borna drives him mad on this.

It's basically because of fitness at the top level, and players being more mobile. At lower level football the traditional number 9 role still functions. The biggest radical change in the last few years hasnbern in goalkeeping, and that may have still furtherbto go. The traditional shot stopper role in goalkeeping isn't adequate for the game at the top level today.

Weird question. Have you not witnessed how Rangers have performed without a striker recently?

Having one would’ve made all the difference to us!

It only works if you've got midfielders and wingers that pitch in with goals regularly. Something we don't really have.

In a way its similar

The bustling tall striker has given way to the one that can hold it up and move

CBs used to be about power, strength and largely be the conduit between goalie and the midfield

Now a ball playing CB is essential when that used to be a rarity

Genuinely don’t think it’s weird.we have managed to get to a Euro final and Man City have won the EPL without one,Just a thought.

Genuine question from an old fogey... the narrative that Man City have been playing without one - what, then, is Gabriel Jesus who wears the number 9, is listed as a forward and has scored nearly 100 goals (including 4 in one game a few weeks back) for City?

It always interests me the way Pep gets the praise for everything positive about football had he ballsed it up yesterday playing round in circles going nowhere ofcourse it would have been the overrated stars to blame. CL never his fault its a knock out competition so anything can happen.

The end of pass backs would force keepers to control it/ pass it and theres always been attacking full backs, i dont know anyone that does not love Tav or believe hes a legend.

On the point about a centre forward i think this is a huge issue for Rangers for next season(along with refs cheating all the time) we need some different options playing the "Pep/sky sports way" might result in more big euros nights which is great obviously, but im not sure its perfect in Scotland.

We got there in the end but during the 90 mins against Hearts we were desperate for someone to stick their heid on the end of a cross. If i was Gio id be looking at a powerful striker even if hes not a first pick on big money.

Morelos does what he does and it is not really a criticism,

but if he scores then great,

but he can' be relied upon to score,

he's no Ian Rush

breaks my heart every time I think of Negri,

he could have been our Rush!!
Rush couldnae score in Italy, but I get your point.

Some are missing the point I feel.When I say classic number nine i mean the tall powerful player like Mark Hately,Derek Johnstone type as opposed to a Jermaine Defoe type player.I’m not saying the strikers role is redundant.

Nope

Look at the successful teams

Madrid - Benzema
Bayern - Lewandowski
Liverpool - usually a 9 with 2 x 10s
Milan - Giroud
Inter - Dzeko/Martinez
Rangers - Morelos
Frankfurt - Borre
Leipzig - Nkunku

List goes on

Nope

Look at the successful teams

Madrid - Benzema
Bayern - Lewandowski
Liverpool - usually a 9 with 2 x 10s
Milan - Giroud
Inter - Dzeko/Martinez
Rangers - Morelos
Frankfurt - Borre
Leipzig - Nkunku

List goes on

Liverpool don’t play with a traditional number 9, neither do we anymore.

Back