The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

HillsBill

How can they ban them if it’s not in the stadium?

Not sure I agree with this regardless of how stupid the idiots were for making it.
Because it’s their name, their reputation and their club. Of course they have the right. And so they should. The majority of contributors on here agree.

HillsBill

The self-same custodians who approved the release of an orange 3rd kit which is clearly a nod to our historical links to the Protestant, Unionist and Loyalist communities?
Then celebrate our Protestant heritage rather than rubbishing someone else’s. The first makes us great Rangers fans. The second makes us expensive morons.

Berserker

The worst thing is that the banner just makes them look as obsessed with the tarriers as their fans are with us.

Really, really sad.
This is the bit that really annoys me. We've an amazing repertoire of songs, lots of brilliant banners and top fans. All of that takes a hit every time something like this happens.

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Good

5 of them in the photo though

Sure the ban will be worth it all for the likes on social media from bams
Hopefully the threat of a lifetime ban will see them screw the nut

I am sick of these neds who get pissed and drugged up out their face and think they can do whatever the they want l, there seems to be a few on this thread who can't accept it

Reactions: Dom

Cutty/Young

Sadly Dave King did not CHALLENGE the term and so it now stands (as far as the football governing body is concerned) as being racist even though it is nothing of the sort.
It isn't upto Dave King to challenge it ffs. Why you think the chairman of our club would come out and challenge the "fenian b------" word is totally bizarre.

If it needs challenged it would be those who are arrested or convicted using the term who should be challenging it, Is there really a need to use the term at all.

RFC4ME

A term they use themselves in songs and have even had a banner with it on it.
There are also black people who refer to themselves by a word I would never think about calling a black person.

Despite what some people in particular on here have led themselves to think the word fenian means, it isn't seen as the chirpy, loveable term of endearment some think it is...

Dado's Bandage

I think it’s harsh if they are going to ban people for the pyro ,

This isn’t just Rangers but all over the country club will ban people for pyro and flares etc until the club win and then they use these images as promotion , either the clubs are completed against it or they can try and promote the safe use of pyro ( likely never happen I know )
Its not harsh in the slightest. Why should the club pay fines for brain donors who know they are not allowed but just carry on taking them in regardless. Our game against Legia was stopped as a result of their nonsense which was roundly booed so we can’t have it both ways. Someone will have to explain to me why grown men want to take flares to football matches, for the life of me I can’t understand it. If your behaviour gets the club a fine you deserve a ban.

Robocop1960

The club has to be seen to be doing this, for ourselves.
We will end up in serious trouble if it doesn't stop. Hopefully the penny will eventually drop.
I agree that the club need to be shown to deal with our own supporters so by the same token the club must come out and challenge press/msps etc who use offensive/sectarian language about our club/support this just cant be a one way street against our club.

Steve Snedden

Then celebrate our Protestant heritage rather than rubbishing someone else’s. The first makes us great Rangers fans. The second makes us expensive morons.
I don't disagree, but the line can be a little blurred. And the club have really only started to engage on this issue this season. Is there not a little tolerance required as we strive to get it right?

RabSpackman

Not going to lie, i didn't really see much wrong with the banner. Seen alot worse. The mhedia in this country have done their job again.
Against a backdrop of closed sections of Ibrox, fines from UEFA and an increased level of scrutiny from the media over anything along these lines you thought the banner with Fenian Bastards written across it wasn’t a problem?

Steve Snedden

Plenty of groups do that. Black people in the USA who used the 'N' word all of them time. I think we can both agree that non-blacks should not use it.
No, I'm not having that, their is no equivalency between the F word and the N word.

Are you saying we should stop using it because it gets us in trouble or because it's morally wrong?

scooter70

Going by some of the replies on this thread, we have a long hard road to travel. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at some of the mental stuff people come away with.
I actually thought when we got that section closed that almost everyone was moving in same direction and wanted the nonsense ended, fast forward a few weeks and we now have many who still want to say or do whatever they want

Having banners with Fenian, singing about Fenians or wanting to %^*& the pope etc just cannot and should not be tolerated

Looking at this thread its clear we have miles to go

RFC4ME

Pushing it their equating the plastic paddy with the Black person.
It's not seen as a kick in the arse of it....

People don't see the word "fenian" as a term used for a plastic paddy etc, that as an argument does not hold up, use the N word and attempt to LOLZ it off or talk people into what you interpret the word to mean "aucht it's no racist its just a term for term x. y or z" .... good luck with that.

I doubt it is a word many would use kicking about in meetings at their work....

It's a word folks are really being encouraged not to use, no one is having their human rights stripped away by not saying it etc and so on...

It's fucken weird how folks still even now try and make a case for saying what is a fucken word....there is a really simple way for they lads not to have been banned, by not carrying a sign fans know they shouldn't be fucken carrying...

Last edited:

Godrup99

I think we're actually on the same page mate - but I think ultimately it comes down to the club not needing any powers as such. It's their stadium. They're not obliged to let anyone in they don't want in.

If they deem - rightly or wrongly - that someone is bringing their name into disrepute then it's Ranger's right to refuse them entry. When they get it wrong - and they may well do - then I think that's a different debate and where the fans groups, supporters buses and SLO etc all need to get around the table with them.

But... I think in this case most progressively-minded supporters who want the club to thrive and be able to concentrate solely on football matters won't lose any sleep over these dafties copping a ban.

(FWIW - I think there's an opportunity for the club to maybe do a bit more here... for example, make it a ban for the remainder of this season and all of next. Invite the lads to come and get involved with some of the community initiatives the club runs. Have a chat with club representatives to discuss how we can't have shite like this continually dragging us down. And only then - if the guys engage - reverse their ban for the 21/22 season. Leave the door open to allow people to learn their lesson. Just a thought...)
And that's where we nearly agree. As it wasnt in the stadium or anywhere where Rangers officially were connected tournament wise, I wouldnt ban. I would however do the education part, with a statement of intent.

rangersfc_51

Official Ticketer
Because it’s their name, their reputation and their club. Of course they have the right. And so they should. The majority of contributors on here agree.
How far will the club go on this though?

What next, lads in the pub or on the supporters buses before the game, singing TBB, the club going to ban them too?

Texas ranger

If nothing else, it’s a warning for idiots out there not to put offensive slogans besides the words Rangers or beside our clubs logo. Maybe they should put their own names on the banner if they must make them.

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
And that's where we nearly agree. As it wasnt in the stadium or anywhere where Rangers officially were connected tournament wise, I wouldnt ban. I would however do the education part, with a statement of intent.
Come on mate, how many times have Rangers tried to tell people and it’s completely ignored? Every time you buy a ticket, it comes with a reminder of what is expected of you as a fan, we constantly air messages at the stadium telling people that offensive behaviour won’t be tolerated. We have just recently launched the everyone anyone campaign.
Yet still some people refuse to listen, at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions, you can’t expect to always be taken by the hand through life.

Texas ranger

A lot of reference to 'the club', as a matter of interest who within 'the club' makes the decision to deal with matters like this?
Maybe the lawyers ? The banner is associating the club with a derogatory statement. The club have every right not to have their name, trademarks, etc not used in that manner.

yosser hughes

You are moving into a different argument there.

While I agree that the sectarian industry is one sided against us, the way to fight it isn't by Shouting about fenians or the Pope at Rangers games. That's just playing into our enemies hands.

As for Northern Ireland, just listen to the songs that the GAWA sing. They don't sing about the Pope and fenians and they are a better support for it. In fact I would say that they are the best international support in Europe and I would bet the majority of them are bears.

If they can give up the uber prod stuff at the football then why can't us Scottish folk do it?
regarding your perfectly valid question about the northern ireland support, ( and i suppose also linfield ) if they can on the whole give up on the songs and chants without seemingly any dilution of their passion and enthusiasm, we have to wonder just why we cannot follow suit,

SmileyBear

It's not seen as a kick in the arse of it....

People don't see the word "fenian" as a term used for a plastic paddy etc, that as an argument does not hold up, use the N word and attempt to LOLZ it off or talk people into what you interpret the word to meAN "aucht it's no racist its just a term for term x. y or z" .... good luck with that.

I doubt it is a word many would use kicking about in meetings at their work....

It's a word folks are really being encouraged not to use, no one is having their human rights stripped away by not saying it etc and so on...

It's fucken weird how folks still even now try and make a case for saying what is a fucken word....there is a really simple way for they lads not to have been banned, by not carrying a sign fans know they shouldn't be fucken carrying...
You seem to be really offended by a banner with a word on it you do not care for, I get why the board are doing it trying to be proactive but I dont get why it offends you so much is this the first time have seen a banner or flag with this on it or other offensive terms.

DNA1872

Official Ticketer
We do hate them and they are fenian bastards but to display a banner knowing it’s going to damage our club was a bit idiotic

RFC4ME

You seem to be really offended by a banner with a word on it you do not care for, I get why the board are doing it trying to be proactive but I dont get why it offends you so much is this the first banner you have seen a banner or flag with this on it or other offensive terms.
I'm not offended by it, I am fucken tired of tits doing things that can %^*& things up for the football team I support.

HillsBill

I don't disagree, but the line can be a little blurred. And the club have really only started to engage on this issue this season. Is there not a little tolerance required as we strive to get it right?
I’ve no problems with that, after all most of us want the same thing. But do you think that tolerance would be rewarded by acceptance that we have to move away from some of the negative elements of our behaviour?

I attended my first Rangers match when I was 9 and was a regular until I left Scotland when I was 30. I’m now 72. 63 years ago it was FTP this and f*nian b*stard that. That is a problem in 2 ways. Firstly it has been accepted for many years unchallenged. But it also means that some attitudes haven’t moved on in the meantime. For some, I fear they never will.

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Here's the thing: flag is in poor taste but usually we'd all say nothing.

However club is trying, clumsily, but trying to imagine who might be thick enough to shout FTP at games while being filmed by FARE.

So, they're aiming at the types who already seem not to be able to grasp the situation. They have to start somewhere and I'm sure not being a fucking clown will help everyone stay safe and able to get tickets.

Berserker

Offensive to who? Do you find it offensive?.
I don't personally but plenty of people do. I can't believe that we are still have this debate in 2019. NI fans put a stop to this years ago. I know Linfield fans who wouldn't dream of using the term anymore. Just don't get why we need to use it.