The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

Cutty/Young

Never thought i would say this, but perhaps this is the first time we can thank the media for running a story about the banner, I reckon had they not ran the story then there was a good possibilty that banner would have been taken into the stadium and the outcome could have been totally different, so in effect the media running the story has backfired on them and perhaps saved us a stadium closure.

Steve Snedden

Because the term is derogatory, for starters. Do you want to go down the sectarian route?
Yes please.

The word in itself is not derogatory. It was recently used in a scholarly fashion by an eminent English historian describing Brexit. He described it a "Fenian revenge" and nobody batted an eyelid.

SmileyBear

I'm not offended by it, I am fucken tired of tits doing things that can %^*& things up for the football team I support.
I dont see how a banner in a airport can %^*& up a football team fair enough if it was inside the stadium if it was that easy we could just say oh maybe they were Hammardy fans.

RFC4ME

I dont see how a banner in a airport can %^*& up a football team fair enough if it was inside the stadium if it was that easy we could just say oh maybe they were Hammardy fans.
The banner isn't the issue though, the banner didn't make it's self

A group of fans took the decision to make the banner and represent themselves as Rangers fans - and representatives of the club.....

So they are either

A: Tims or Hammarby fans so %^*& them and what does it matter if they are banned

or they are

B: most likely Rangers fans who are doing a thing that makes the club look like a lady's front bottom, so %^*& them.

The banning of them is a win for the club either way.

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
Yes please.

The word in itself is not derogatory. It was recently used in a scholarly fashion by an eminent English historian describing Brexit. He described it a "Fenian revenge" and nobody batted an eyelid.
Maybe Rangers could send you along to UEFA headquarters the next time we get into any bother for people singing it. Alternatively, people could just wise the fûck up, stop dragging the clubs name through the mud and ultimately jeopardising our very participation in European competition.

dirtyharry

Previous experience shows you can be made responsible for your travelling fans in Europe - whether to not they have tickets, whether or not they have travelled officially with the club, whether or not they are inside the ground.
Think the above post has been missed by many, if the club can be held responsible, this explains their actions without any doubts.

I would hazard a guess that the lads pictured with the flag in an airport (and in this modern era, absolutely doing it for likes and giggles on social media) were not aware of this.

BlueKop

whether you agree or not whether you like it or not using any language that is deemed derogatory to a protected characteristic (religion, race etc...) which fenian is now deemed to be (in this context) and has been for some time can be seen as a hate crime and thus will bring the clubs' reputation into disrepute regardless of where it's said or done, with this in mind im fully behind the clubs decision to take a tougher stance on things like this

Edit: Also who gives a flying f*ck what others do, hold ourselves higher then everyone - a class above, yet sh*t like this keeps popping up

Last edited:

SmileyBear

The banner isn't the issue though, the banner didn't make it's self

A group of fans took the decision to make the banner and represent themselves as Rangers fans - and representatives of the club.....

So they are either

A: Tims or Hammarby fans so %^*& them and what does it matter if they are banned

or they are

B: most likely Rangers fans who are doing a thing that makes the club look like a lady's front bottom, so %^*& them.

The banning of them is a win for the club either way.
So where does the board stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.
Why is the club not more active against our enemies are they still getting a free pass while our supporters are not?

muttley

Not

Remarkable reply.

That’s Timmy logic mate.

Sectarian banner, made by and taken to the game by a few inbred morons.

“Bloody mhedia!!! Boooooooooo!”

sectarian banner?

we hate Celtic Fenian bastards

They have a banner saying they hate Celtic- That's not sectarian
Fenian bastards- many Celtic fans do describe themselves as Unrepentant Fenians

The stupidity was being pictured with it..

RFC4ME

So where does the club stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.
Why is the club not more active against our enemies are they still getting a free pass while our supporters are not?
Who the %^*& cares, honestly, - who gives a %^*&....

RE it being sung on buses and pubs, whenever it is done to the extent is hurts the clubs profile - %^*& folks off simple.

Rangers matter a shit load more than people getting to have a flag with the word "fenian" on it.

Laudrup's Right Foot

So where does the board stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.
Those taking that banner were quite frankly the enemy within

Day before the game and the club are plastered all over news outlets and the media for the wrong reasons

muttley

The fact that some on here dont see anything wrong with the banner sums what the club is up against

Utterly staggering

What's so staggering about not being bothered about the banner?

It's not sectarian to say They hate Celtic?

These are an example of Celtic fans that all describe themselves as Fenians

For me, the stupidity was being filmed with the banner

SmileyBear

Who the %^*& cares, honestly, - who gives a %^*&....

RE it being sung on buses and pubs, whenever it is done to the extent is hurts the clubs profile - %^*& folks off simple.

Rangers matter a shit load more than people getting to have a flag with the word "fenian" on it.
Rangers do I agree, so why does this board not stand up against other clubs and supporters damaging or brand?

Steve Snedden

Maybe Rangers could send you along to UEFA headquarters the next time we get into any bother for people singing it. Alternatively, people could just wise the fûck up, stop dragging the clubs name through the mud and ultimately jeopardising our very participation in European competition.
I'm not condoning songs being sung. It's UEFA's rules and we have to abide by them. I was engaging in a wider debate about the actual meaning of the word and whether we should stop singing it because it gets us into trouble or because it's morally wrong.

Because if it's morally wrong then we shoud not be singing certain songs in the buses, supporters clubs or in main squares of towns across Europe.

dirtyharry

So where does the club stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.
When people stop posting stupid pictures and videos................It's that simple, it's the fans that are providing the ammunition the club can be hammered with, not the club.

SmileyBear

When people stop posting stupid pictures and videos................It's that simple, it's the fans that are providing the ammunition the club can be hammered with, not the club.
This will never stop now its the age when people post whatever they want to garner likes.

Homelander

Well done on completely missing the point

Slow clap all round for you

cuellarsbraces

This is strawman nonsense.

It's quite simple, if you feel you must (not you personally) refer to them as fenian bastards don't make a massive flag with it written on it and then pose for fucking pictures with it then post it on social media for the entire world to see. Is that clear enough?

sherbrook_loyal

Administrator
Staff member
Moronic banner.

I can only assume the ones involved don’t have jobs?

I’d imagine most people would be getting called in to see HR if they were all over the press with a banner like that.

Kirbys House

Can't tell if some posters have already forgotten about our UEFA problems this season or if they're just being deliberately difficult.

Almost raises a chuckle if it wasn't so serious.

baselbear

Official Ticketer
They paid a lot of money for the banner and then posed with it like a baby proud of their first poo in the big potty.
It would have been more economic to get Dickhead tattooed on their foreheads.

muttley

Well done on completely missing the point

Slow clap all round for you

I haven't missed the point at all. I'm telling you, it's not sectarian to say you hate Celtic and the term Fenian is a term Celtic fans use themselves and call themselves and if used in the correct context is not sectarian.

It was being filmed with the banner that was stupid.

Homelander

The term Fenian and or Fenian Bastards is deemed racist by UEFA

Fucking racist!

And yet we STILL have folk on here giving it "aye but what about what the celtic fans say"

We will never ever win the battle we have with our own fans when people arent prepared to change

Its absolutely soul destroying

Our own bloody chairman and manager have told the mindless idiots to wrap it on numerous occasions. For %^*& say listen to them

Homelander

I haven't missed the point at all. I'm telling you, it's not sectarian to say you hate Celtic and the term Fenian is a term Celtic fans use themselves and call themselves and if used in the correct context is not sectarian.

It was being filmed with the banner that was stupid.

Fenian bastard is racist in UEFAs eyes

What are you not getting here?

DeeCeeTee

what term is not acceptable? Fenian? Celtic fans describe themselves as Fenians.
What a rubbish argument. Black people call themselves the N word, and Jews call themselves Yids. Just because they use it, does not allow you to in a derogatory manner. It’s pathetic that some people would rather play on the semantics of language rather than accept that the use of certain words has no place in the world of being a Rangers fan anymore.

cuellarsbraces

Can't tell if some posters have already forgotten about our UEFA problems this season or if they're just being deliberately difficult.

Almost raises a chuckle if it wasn't so serious.
It's seems to be some misguided attempt to uphold/preserve 'freedom of speech'. The 'battle' on the use of the word 'fenian' was lost years ago. There is no way it's making a comeback as acceptable parlance anytime soon. It would take monumental shift in political will and social acceptance to reverse it and in all honesty, I'm not sure why we'd want it? Folk need to get over it and wise up.

GazzaG

Linfield argued and lost this case with Uefa previously.

They deem the word to be sectarian and falls under their racism rules. End of story.
The bottom line.

It doesn't matter what they call themselves, using 'fenian' will see us out of Europe.

If you need to run about shouting about fenians do it in your workplace.

Let us know how you get on.

dazzapat

9 pages and we still have people who think they’re wholly justified because some in their support use the word ‘fenian’ to describe themselves.

Like it or not, when you use this word with additional derogatory terms or as part of a statement like ‘we hate....’, you’ll find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

They have the law on their side, you don’t.

You also demean the club you claim to support and do more damage to its reputation and support.

If you feel you have to use such terms, do it where it doesn’t have an impact on the club or your fellow supporters.

Robert Marshall

Singing the add ons in a pub could and will end up with your license suspended

JamesyMRR

Official Ticketer
Hopefully it serves as a warning to other morons. You want to harm the club's reputation and risk sanctions from uefa, don't expect to be welcome at ibrox.