The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

I think the club are being a tad heavy handed here.

After the partial stadium closure I thought that they had engaged with fans groups and "influencers" regarding what songs and specific words were acceptable.

I thought there was a consensus on here that it was UEFA's tournement and that we needed to keep certain songs and chants for supporters buses and "sash bashes" etc.

To me, that would suggest that not many of us actually agree with UEFA's interpretation of "the f word" but that we should box clever.

Now clearly photographing this flag isn't boxing clever but I would suggest the club are moving the goalposts here.

I do get that a zero tolerance approach from the club does send a powerful message to the support as a whole but these guys, whilst being stupid, are a bit unlucky.

Are we now saying that there are certain songs and words that have no place anywhere?

Because that's a different position and one that I find troubling and perhaps even slightly hypocritical.
They have no place near the Rangers brand. And rightly so.

Nothing wrong with it if it's not in the stadium. Surely the club can't ban them for posing outwith a match situation? The boys were actually on my bus from Rotterdam to Feyenoord and were brand new. The abuse is a bit harsh
Aside from the sectarian argument (it is), it's a really stupid thing to do in the current climate. What's wrong with a banner about......Rangers?

Some of the replies against fellow supporters, whether they were wrong or not, is absolutely fcking astounding. Fk been in the trenches with some on this forum

You wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with them. They got that flag made for attention and likes on social media, they deserve everything they get.

They have no place near the Rangers brand. And rightly so.

But are they OK in the pubs and bars of city x on the night before games?

Because that wasn't the mood music on here, unless I'm mistaken?

Are we now saying that the songbook isn't just damaging as per UEFA's rules, but it's now actually wrong?

Might not get us a uefa punishment, but it does absolutely nothing for our reputation and gives the media constant ammunition to batter into us. Also shows a complete lack of respect for the club's campaign and creates a culture and environment of letting the bullshit creep back into the stadium.

I don't give a %^*& if they're brand new on a bus, they paid to get a huge Rangers flag made and put Celtic on it, not just that but they then called them 19th Century Terrorists on it, not just that but they then posted it online after taking it abroad to a European away game. That's not the actions of some 'brand new' guys, that's the actions of some grade A fucking knobends

Totally agree. More and more football revenue comes from sponsorship and other off park sources. Do sponsors really want to be associated with this type of moronic rubbish?

Grade A Fucking knobends? As much as I wouldn't get that type of banner made up to take to the fitba the vast majority of The Rangers support agree with the sentiment. %^*& them. They are fenain bastards. We do hate them. The banner was nowhere near the game, take a day off of being self righteous. Thank %^*& you weren't on the bus sooking the fun out of it.
"Thank %^*& you weren't on the bus sooking the fun out of it."
Sorry for picking on your post to reply to but it just happened to be the most recent example of what is wrong with our support and the way we think is acceptable to behave.
If you think that the only pleasure you get from supporting Rangers is to display banners and sing about hating 19th Century Terrorists and ranting bigotry rather than supporting the team...KNOWING that your behaviour will get the club you profess to love into huge bother and tarnishes our good name worldwide says more about you that you'd like to believe!
I've got my opinions on all things catholic and celtic but I'd never dream of making them public and particularly if I thought it would get the club I love into trouble.
It's time for some of our support to grow up and decide what's more important to them...supporting and upholding the good name of Rangers or selfishly acting like morons that don't know how to behave in a civilised society!

After the partial stadium closure I thought that they had engaged with fans groups and "influencers" regarding what songs and specific words were acceptable.

I thought there was a consensus on here that it was UEFA's tournement and that we needed to keep certain songs and chants for supporters buses and "sash bashes" etc.

To me, that would suggest that not many of us actually agree with UEFA's interpretation of "the f word" but that we should box clever.

Now clearly photographing this flag isn't boxing clever but I would suggest the club are moving the goalposts here.

I do get that a zero tolerance approach from the club does send a powerful message to the support as a whole but these guys, whilst being stupid, are a bit unlucky.

Are we now saying that there are certain songs and words that have no place anywhere?

Because that's a different position and one that I find troubling and perhaps even slightly hypocritical.
What is hypocritical from the club? We know its a banned term and these guys put a Rangers badge on the flag. Club had no real choice imo

I actually do hate Celtic and they are 19th Century Terrorist bastards imo but I wouldn’t take or get a pic in front of a banner saying it and post it on the net.

So Tim's can say go home Hun scum 60 times a season but we use the word 19th Century Terrorist outside a match once and the world ends. The word 19th Century Terrorist imo is fair game

your opinion unfortunately doesn’t determine wether someone gets a criminal record or we get kicked out of Europe though

Theory goes If we get our house in order and the tims still play up then we'll be able to hammer them and turn the tables with improved press.The moral high ground strategy. Anyone who's got experience of NI and the media over there would understand it's not going to pan out like that.

What will happen as in NI. We'll cut our culture to the bone over the next few years but every time our fans step a tiny bit out of line we'll still get hammered as the problem while the tims will run wild as usual and the media will give them a pass regardless of the facts and how much ground we've given up.

It's road to nowhere strategy..across the water and here. It's very similar in terms of a one sided sectarianism process and where that leads.

The club aren't moving the goalposts. They have said that certain behaviour will not be tolerated. They have been very clear. Carrying a flag with the phrase '19th Century Terrorist Bastard' clearly falls into this type of behaviour. Nobody can say they weren't warned. I've no idea why guys who clearly enjoy following Rangers would take such a risk anyway.

Not going to lie, i didn't really see much wrong with the banner. Seen alot worse. The mhedia in this country have done their job again.

On this occasion they done the media’s job for them.

Our club show an iron fist approach when dealing with this stuff and still get horrendous coverage compared to every other club who don’t I give you the effigies at Parkhead or that Banner the sheep done re Morelos mum nope never heard much at all sometimes I think the club are a little too hasty and quick to hand out lifetime bans imo.

That said we must help the club and stop this stuff or at least don’t video or photo it and plaster social media with it.

Too much trying to stick tonone side of an arguement here.

Were they stupid? Undoubtedly.

Is it wrong in the context of Rangers? Yes.

Was it in the stadium? No.

That's where I've got dubiety with this. What if they are season ticket holders but travelled ticketless and didnt get into the de kuip? How do you legislate for happenings outside re banners etc? Anyone could use anything anywhere if it could harm the club.

It's a wee but concerningnif the club become the opinion police. For example, you're on the next euro away trip, and on film you are caught saying something stupid? Should you be banned for your opinion in a pub?

I think people need to consider where it was, as well as what it was.

So Tim's can say go home Hun scum 60 times a season but we use the word 19th Century Terrorist outside a match once and the world ends. The word 19th Century Terrorist imo is fair game
does that mean you'd sing it in a stadium?

That's where I've got dubiety with this. What if they are season ticket holders but travelled ticketless and didnt get into the de kuip? How do you legislate for happenings outside re banners etc? Anyone could use anything anywhere if it could harm the club.

It's a wee but concerningnif the club become the opinion police. For example, you're on the next euro away trip, and on film you are caught saying something stupid? Should you be banned for your opinion in a pub?

They are probably being pro-active and ensuring that they don't take it into the next game. If they have no intention of taking it into grounds, then why did they get it made?

Astonishes me that anyone would defend the banner and it’s creators. Shows you what we are up against I suppose. Self entitled thickos. Imagine we drew them in the last 16 and couldn’t open Ibrox due to off the field actions. Mind boggling.

Genuinely mind boggling that the severity of the situation hasn't sunk in for so many. Twitter is full of people in complete denial about behaviour like this.

Rangers have to be tough on the morons because it's the morons that will result in the club playing games behind closed doors.

Weed them out before it results in severe punishments for us.

Are you sure that there isn't even a little more nuance to the discussion than that?

No, there really isn’t. If anyone wants to indulge in this type of behaviour, don’t have it in any way, shape or form linked to Rangers. The club can’t make it any clearer that they don’t want it. I don’t get the nuance.

Some people need to wind their neck in. I can guarantee plenty of posters that come across agreived by this banner has been involved in singing TBB and other songs deemed naughty.

People seeking attention, it makes perfect sense

Are people opinions on here being plastered across the press and social media alongside the clubs badge? No they aren’t.
Do you know these people or something? You seem very keen to defend the indefensible. It defies belief that after all the hassle the club have had and after a personal plea from our manger, that anybody could be so stupid as to get that flag that flag made, then stand like idiots posing for photos with it.

It's a very crude banner but of course it's a symbol of unionism and Protestantism in terms of intent and meaning even though most people over 25 in the PUL community would see it as a bit of a riddy. But the slow criminalization of Unionism at Ibrox isn't so much referring to the banner but the current feeling from the board to anything of that bent. It's the wider context.

It's clear where this is all headed even if it's 3 or 4 years down the line. The direction of travel. Any symbolism of unionism and Protestantism is just to embarrassing to middle class liberals in our support. They don't like any of it. They aren't being honest with the support though that they want to do away with everything. Instead they are using Uefa fines are a trojan horse and trying to do it bit by bit.
You can express your support of Unionism and Protestantism without plastering it all over an embarrassing banner which not only mentions Ce* :c alongside but also uses sectarian language, (language which could see a criminal charge if it is seen in public).
I am a Unionist and Protestant 24 hours a day, every day and while my faith allows me to despise the evil paedophile RC Church and my Unionism guides my politics and my hatred of Republicanism(Irish and Scottish), I would never allow it to harm the Club I love.
There are some in our support who seem to lack both the intelligence and the morality to conduct themselves in ways befitting true Rangers fans and Protestants.
If being a Protestant and Unionist means so much to anyone, then express it in ways that dont make you look like a neanderthal.

The Club is battling very hard to ward off stadium closures and tournament expulsions. That is genuinely where we are at, one slip and it's an empty Ibrox.

Such is the seriousness of the situation, the club needs to take a zero-tolerance approach as we don't have any room for the slightest bit of bother.

Of course the club is going to make an example of these guys. They were idiotic splashing it across social media. The chance to get a few likes clouding their common sense.

A tad harsh on them? Yes. But the club can't suffer at the hands of morons anymore. It's simply not on anymore.

No, there really isn’t. If anyone wants to indulge in this type of behaviour, don’t have it in any way, shape or form linked to Rangers. The club can’t make it any clearer that they don’t want it. I don’t get the nuance.

The self-same custodians who approved the release of an orange 3rd kit which is clearly a nod to our historical links to the Protestant, Unionist and Loyalist communities?

The uefa charges are a double edged sword imho. It’s great we dodged a bullet but I worry the same self entitled twats will be emboldened by it and keep thinking we can get away with it. Though parts of me thinks they will never stop. I would hate an away self imposed ban but I can honestly see it going that way. It seems that singing about an irrelevant religious institution is more important than supporting the clubs view.

Certainly not. Because the context within the songs are offensive. The word 19th Century Terrorist is a legitimate word to describe an Irish settler. If they had the flag in the stadium then fair enough, they can't do that, and it would harm the club. But outside.. the boys can do or say what they like. If they said %^*& the Irish on it would anyone care? 19th Century Terrorist is a fair way to describe most of their fans literally, wouldn't you agree?
I'm not advocating offensive singing btw I'm just thinking of the word 19th Century Terrorist being used that's it. I'm a up for binning the FTP/IRA shit3
yeah to be fair i feel exactly the same. the word's meaning seems to have been lost/warped recently but it frustrates the life out of me when fellow fans feel this somehow gives them the right to continue singing it. as unjust as it is we have to play by UEFA's rules whether we like it or not.

What people choose to do in their private lifes is up to them, the club know they have no control over this nor would it be any of the club's business, what the club are saying is they would rather these songs and banners weren't heard or held up when people were officially representing the club home or away as it damages the image of the club and support, not difficult to understand especially given strict liability is enforced and the club are punished as are the supporters if the club refuse to take tickets.

If people loved the club the way they claim they do, they would do nothing to harm the club and you always protect something you love, but there is an element in our support despite knowing the club will get punished or at worse the whole stadium closed, choose to rebel against the club's wishes to the extent of not giving a toss what punishment the club gets.

The same ones who would be calling UEFA all the bastards under the sun if we had a stadium closure.

I find it absolutely astonishing that despite the club asking for all this to stop, there are those who ignore it and willing to take the chance of the club being punished severely, does that sound like people who claim to love their club ?

I get your over-riding point about where do we draw the line in terms of what we can reasonably expect the club to get involved with.

However, there's quite a wide difference between standing grinning like a fanny with a big massive banner you've gone out and had made to "get it up" someone.... and someone recording a private conversation on a phone or something like that in a pub mate.

Bottom line is - as others have pointed out - it's entirely up to Rangers who they let into the stadium or don't. Bringing the club's name into disrepute via a deliberate action at a time when we're fighting on a range of fronts is arrogant, reckless, stupid and the club is entitled to deal with them as they see fit. If the punters facing a ban don't like it or think it's harsh, get lawyered up and see how far that gets them...

They are probably being pro-active and ensuring that they don't take it into the next game. If they have no intention of taking it into grounds, then why did they get it made?
And do you know what, I'd probably go with a bring them in and make it clear what is and iant acceptable and what must never happen again. I'd be concerned we are banning folk for stupidity when they weren't at the environs of a stadium or party to UEFA rules and expectations. If they weren't part of an official party or present at the match with it, I'd have problems with severe action being dished out.

Grade A Fucking knobends? As much as I wouldn't get that type of banner made up to take to the fitba the vast majority of The Rangers support agree with the sentiment. %^*& them. They are fenain bastards. We do hate them. The banner was nowhere near the game, take a day off of being self righteous. Thank %^*& you weren't on the bus sooking the fun out of it.
Grown men need to be allowed to sing about the pope, 19th Century Terrorists and other irreverent shite to have "fun". Get a grip mate. Your "fun" and attitude towards us damages the reputation of the club, fans, our sponsors, our (essentially your) club money and european competition. But carry on, dont want to spoil your fun pal.

Dearie me. Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

I'm simply trying to establish if we're boxing clever or if we're now saying that these things that we all did in the past are now morally wrong, because there is a world of difference.

I've already stated that the young lads were stupid. I'm not a member of the "I'll sing what I want brigade", I'm trying to establish the exact rules in this new reality.

The self-same custodians who approved the release of an orange 3rd kit which is clearly a nod to our historical links to the Protestant, Unionist and Loyalist communities?
Can still release an orange kit without having to shag the word 19th Century Terrorist and the pope.
Yes, seriously.

I'm simply trying to establish if we're boxing clever or if we're now saying that these things that we all did in the past are now morally wrong, because there is a world of difference.

I've already stated that the young lads were stupid. I'm not a member of the "I'll sing what I want brigade", I'm trying to establish the exact rules in this new reality.
The new rules of reality are if you behave in a way that causes the club trouble, bother or tarnished the reputation of the club you can get banned. Rather straight forward.

Back