The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

Can't tell if some posters have already forgotten about our UEFA problems this season or if they're just being deliberately difficult.

Almost raises a chuckle if it wasn't so serious.

It's seems to be some misguided attempt to uphold/preserve 'freedom of speech'. The 'battle' on the use of the word '19th Century Terrorist' was lost years ago. There is no way it's making a comeback as acceptable parlance anytime soon. It would take monumental shift in political will and social acceptance to reverse it and in all honesty, I'm not sure why we'd want it? Folk need to get over it and wise up.

Linfield argued and lost this case with Uefa previously.

They deem the word to be sectarian and falls under their racism rules. End of story.
The bottom line.

It doesn't matter what they call themselves, using '19th Century Terrorist' will see us out of Europe.

If you need to run about shouting about 19th Century Terrorists do it in your workplace.

Let us know how you get on.

9 pages and we still have people who think they’re wholly justified because some in their support use the word ‘19th Century Terrorist’ to describe themselves.

Like it or not, when you use this word with additional derogatory terms or as part of a statement like ‘we hate....’, you’ll find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

They have the law on their side, you don’t.

You also demean the club you claim to support and do more damage to its reputation and support.

If you feel you have to use such terms, do it where it doesn’t have an impact on the club or your fellow supporters.

So where does the board stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.
Why is the club not more active against our enemies are they still getting a free pass while our supporters are not?
Singing the add ons in a pub could and will end up with your license suspended

Hopefully it serves as a warning to other morons. You want to harm the club's reputation and risk sanctions from uefa, don't expect to be welcome at Ibrox.

I think it’s harsh if they are going to ban people for the pyro ,

This isn’t just Rangers but all over the country club will ban people for pyro and flares etc until the club win and then they use these images as promotion , either the clubs are completed against it or they can try and promote the safe use of pyro ( likely never happen I know )
What is "safe use of pyro", can you explain ?

Sixteen people treated for smoke inhilation at the Legia game, is the price for being proper ultras?

Just asking?

I get that mate. Probably some young guys, too much drink, made a total c-_unt of themselves and done something they’ll regret for a long time. Just don’t get the “knuckle draggers” “neds” comments from people who probably don’t even know the guys.
It’s plain stupidity on their part and I think a warning would of sufficed.

But having “too much drink” isn’t an excuse, the banner was printed beforehand and they had every intention of taking it on the trip and using it for attention on social media. They should have known better.

Another point is why would you even spend money to have them on your banner? It’s tragic.

We go on about their obsession, that flag just keeps them relevant.

How far will the club go on this though?

What next, lads in the pub or on the supporters buses before the game, singing TBB, the club going to ban them too?

I guess it will go as far as it’s needs to prevent damage to the club, it’s finances and it’s reputation. The world has moved on. Football has moved on.

In today’s #metoo type world, rightly or wrongly the attitudes of some of our fans don’t do the club any favours.

The fact that some supporters on this very thread are calling fellow Rangers fans "inbred morons " is even more staggering.
Not really.

Behaviour like this damages the image and reputation of the club. It goes against the wishes of the club and makes us look like hate filled bigots more interested in slating Celtic than supporting the team.

Do you think the players see that and think “Yup. That’s the kind of message that really inspires me to play at my best”?

The very thing we accuse Celtic fans of is exactly what’s going on there. More interested in hating them than supporting us.

So yes: a missing chromosome or two in the gene pool of those folk would explain a lot. Hence the inbreeding comment.

The sooner that element are told to %^*& off the better.

Fair play to our club being proactive and trying to drive the zoomers out.
At least we don't give them pats on the back and jobs at the end of it.

Come on mate, how many times have Rangers tried to tell people and it’s completely ignored? Every time you buy a ticket, it comes with a reminder of what is expected of you as a fan, we constantly air messages at the stadium telling people that offensive behaviour won’t be tolerated. We have just recently launched the everyone anyone campaign.
Yet still some people refuse to listen, at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions, you can’t expect to always be taken by the hand through life.
The whole point though, stadium. I absolutely get it, and Rangers can do what they like whether I agree with it or not. My only point is where is a line drawn where it is and isnt Rangers busines in terms of location? I see both sides.

It’s plain stupidity on their part and I think a warning would of sufficed.

But having “too much drink” isn’t an excuse, the banner was printed beforehand and they had every intention of taking it on the trip and using it for attention on social media. They should have known better.

Another point is why would you even spend money to have them on your banner? It’s tragic.

We go on about their obsession, that flag just keeps them relevant.
.... totally agree, regardless of the brain dead stupidity involved, displaying the word "Celtic" on a Rangers flag, really?
That alone deserves consignment to the deepest reaches of Hades in itself.

Totally unrelated to thread but I've just noticed your username, I assume you're a Gers fan called Al and it's not meant to mean something else? :))

Correct, is it alan, alastair or albert ?:)

It most certainly doesn't mean or suggest anything else :))

I would expect they were advised against taking it in
So they either took it with the intention of going into the game with it, or actually had to be told not to enter the stadium with it.

Either way, it doesn't look good.

Baffles me that anyone can defend this particular flag and those who flew it. Rangers fans are ambassadors and representatives of the club on European trips. The club plead with travelling fans to respect that fact and behave accordingly. The vast majority do so. That flag directly and blatantly goes against the express wishes of the club, so Rangers have every right to ban those who thought it a good idea. And, it seems to me, based on the negative response to it on twitter and elsewhere, that most other Rangers fans think it was an act of crass stupidity that could bring nothing but harm and criticism to Rangers.

The whole point though, stadium. I absolutely get it, and Rangers can do what they like whether I agree with it or not. My only point is where is a line drawn where it is and isnt Rangers busines in terms of location? I see both sides.

It’s not just the stadium though. Rangers issued everybody with the following only last week, the day before the banner appeared.

It’s naw worth it lads it’s harming our club and our manager is pleading with us.

If you want to sing songs and add ons, keep it for a bus were it won’t harm our give our enemies ammunition to attack our club with.
So what's the difference of the songs being video'd and put on social media?

The club going to apply bans on these fans too?

I'm not condoning songs being sung. It's UEFA's rules and we have to abide by them. I was engaging in a wider debate about the actual meaning of the word and whether we should stop singing it because it gets us into trouble or because it's morally wrong.

Because if it's morally wrong then we shoud not be singing certain songs in the buses, supporters clubs or in main squares of towns across Europe.
It's not morally wrong. We've lost the battle as regards use of language. Our enemies have managed to frame the debate using their own terms of engagement. I hate the 19th Century Terrorist c***s but sadly they have UEFA's ear and hate us. So we wise up.

Previous experience shows you can be made responsible for your travelling fans in Europe - whether to not they have tickets, whether or not they have travelled officially with the club, whether or not they are inside the ground.

Is there any way that the club could insist on ID when selling tickets on line. I'm thinking that the club could produce some sort of photo card ( a one off at fan's expense or at the club's expense ) whilst putting the onus on the host club who should be instructed to decline entry without said ID Card. It may even be possible, if any fan caused trouble and discarded 'card', he/she would be unable to obtain subsequent away tickets. Perhaps the club could 'overprint' fans' names onto tickets sold thus helping to identify miscreants.

Perhaps a daft idea but I'm working on it as I only wish the very best for the club !

So Rangers are now banning people for a flag that was displayed outside the stadium

Worrying turn of events for everyone I think.

Very dangerous path to go down
UEFA will hold Rangers responsible for the conduct of the supporters inside and outside the stadium.

That flag could have gotten us done for racism, again.

Zero tolerance. Ban them.

I can only think that the club has banned these guys for possibly giving the company/ club a bad name.
As you say, outside the stadium, where do they draw the line?

The fact these guys even wanted this banner made though, shows the mindset the club is up against.
A real uphill battle to eradicate this sort of stuff.
Times change, we as a support need to change also

UEFA will hold Rangers responsible for the conduct of the supporters inside and outside the stadium.

That flag could have gotten us done for racism, again.

Zero tolerance. Ban them.
UEFA can’t punish any club for incidents of any kind outside the grounds.

Reckless banner that does the club no favours whatsoever especially when FARE are getting so offended by the word that they have an influence on uefa to act against us.

So Rangers are now banning people for a flag that was displayed outside the stadium

Worrying turn of events for everyone I think.

Very dangerous path to go down

I disagree.

If people are stupid enough to get a flag like that made, and they’re stupid enough to happily pose for pictures alongside it, are we suddenly meant to think that they’re not stupid enough to take it to a game?

Welcome to the UEFA police state.

Club is forced to go after the f*ckwits because a previous owner decided it was okay for Bears to be persecuted for thought crime and have their anthems taken away, so long as he got his knighthood.

We live in a society where you can't call a 19th Century Terrorist a 19th Century Terrorist. Yes, of course it's wrong, but the banners should be about our human right to free speech being taken away. I don't need to make a banner for you to know my opinion regards that mob.

I disagree.

If people are stupid enough to get a flag like that made, and they’re stupid enough to happily pose for pictures alongside it, are we suddenly meant to think that they’re not stupid enough to take it to a game?
If they take it into the game then by all means ban them.

If you start banning people for activity outside the ground then it's a dangerous road to go down on my opinion

On a side note, I was in bar72 on Sunday (1st time ever , highly recommend it) but I did see that stalker (Jill Sharp) and her boyfriend there.

I wish Rangers would ban her.

I’ve just caught up with this thread from earlier again and I’m sitting with my head in my hands at times.

Why can’t people not just realise that it doesn’t matter one iota what we think of the word “19th Century Terrorist” and what it means to whom and why. Because all that matters is, we know what UEFA think and the club get hammered for it!

Secondly, this is not being “anti Protestant”. I saw a prominent flute band banner at the Hamilton game, and quite rightly so there wasn’t an eyelid batted about it. There is about this one. Why? Because it’s not pro-Rangers or even a related loyalist thing.

I’ll be kind and say these boys didn’t think. I’ll be polite and say nicely that some people need to stop being obtuse about it and start seeing the bigger picture. Preferably before it falls off the wall.

I disagree.

Which I presume was their actual intent, as why else get it made.

A happy medium could be found. Maybe people like me could accept not singing those songs in Europe much easier but if there was less of an attempt to stamp it out domestically so it doesn't feel like a total assault on a certain way of thinking.

We won't get punished for singing the F word in domestic football or billy boys. Infact i can't remember us ever being punished in domestic football for it. Any domestic punishment would directly benefit the bheasts so it's politically harder compared to Europe plus if you did us for songs in SPL then the bheasts who are far worse would be open aswell.

Last edited:
A happy medium could be found. Maybe people like me could accept not singing those songs in Europe but if we brung it back domestically.We won't get punished for singing the F word in domestic football or billy boys. Infact i can't remember us ever being punished in domestic football for it. Any domestic punishment would directly benefit the bheasts so it's politically harder compared to Europe plus if you did us for songs in SPL then the bheasts who are far worse would be open aswell.
Fcuking hell. Seriously, take a step away from the keyboard mate.

A happy medium could be found. Maybe people like me could accept not singing those songs in Europe but if we brung it back domestically.We won't get punished for singing the F word in domestic football or billy boys. Infact i can't remember us ever being punished in domestic football for it. Any domestic punishment would directly benefit the bheasts so it's politically harder compared to Europe plus if you did us for songs in SPL then the bheasts who are far worse would be open aswell.
I am not sure if this is serious, but if it is and there are more with your way of thinking then we may as well lose to YB and get put out before we get kicked out.

I’m a simple man. I want to sing songs supporting our team not worrying about anybody or anyone else. I don’t want my club banned or fined. I want to show some sort of restraint when it comes to the whole catholic thing (I think we are really slating the fake I’m from the old country and they were freedom fighters but that’s another debate). I’m old enough to remember bobby sands and the rest of them - and he only crosses my mind when at Ibrox. Bit of a ramble but

Sing what you want
Display what banners you want

Free society and I have no right to say what anyone can or cannot do

But do it in the full knowledge there are consequences, not least because we are under particular scrutiny.

You are wrong. Plenty are now heeding the warnings from UEFA and don’t want a closed door Ibrox.

You think Brand Gerrard will want associated with a toxic image like “racist” singing?

The 1690 brigade need to realise that we are moving on and quickly.

I agree with your point, however there is a difference in being proud of history and the Battle of the Boyne and getting a banner with 19th Century Terrorist Bastards on it.

I’d say your last sentence is a bit disrespectful if I’m honest.

A happy medium could be found. Maybe people like me could accept not singing those songs in Europe much easier but if there was less of an attempt to stamp it out domestically so it doesn't feel like a total assault on a certain way of thinking.

We won't get punished for singing the F word in domestic football or billy boys. Infact i can't remember us ever being punished in domestic football for it. Any domestic punishment would directly benefit the bheasts so it's politically harder compared to Europe plus if you did us for songs in SPL then the bheasts who are far worse would be open aswell.
Not. Sure. If. Serious.

Seriously?
Does your mother know you have internet access?
There was a thread on here the other day regarding the Groin Brigade who criticized Sellik for not engaging in an adult and progressive discussion on the use of pyrotechnics. Unfortunately the irony of that question is lost on some of our own supporters as well.

The banner is right we do hate the bastards but unfortunately you can’t do things like now . No brains .

It's not morally wrong. We've lost the battle as regards use of language. Our enemies have managed to frame the debate using their own terms of engagement. I hate the 19th Century Terrorist c***s but sadly they have UEFA's ear and hate us. So we wise up.

That was really the response I was looking for.

I don't think it's morally wrong, so I agree it's about boxing clever. The general consensus on here seemed to be that certain songs should be reserved for pubs, clubs and supporters buses.

People say we've known about it for 15 years, but while that might be true, it's only really come sharply back into focus these last two or three months. Mistakes will be made.

The guys with the flags were stupid, but I don't think they deserve the castigation that they have had from either FF or the club. Our culture, and all that's good and bad about it has been around a long time and we (and UEFA) need to allow for mistakes providing the club is doing it's best to comply with the governing bodies rules and can demonstrate that they are making strides to eradicate the things that UEFA deem "unacceptable"

Back