The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

The banner didn’t offend me one bit and it wasn’t in the stadium so it’s got nowt to with UEFA.

If Rangers go down the route of banning folk for a banner displayed nowhere near the game (stating something we all think anyway) then we’re going down a dangerous path.

As for the European song book - it’s been cleaned up. Anything naughty the other night may have occurred during a song played by the home PA system and at half time when it was played again the UB’s tried to start follow follow Glasgow Rangers - to avoid the possibility of naughty words again. We are trying as a support and getting there imo

UEFA have clearly instigated a policy of zero tolerance towards incidents at Rangers games. Unfair compared to others? We could debate that all day, but it’s a fact.

Hence “getting there” needs to be “got there”, and sharpish. For all our sakes.

Agree 100% that the only reason the flag wasn't displayed in the stadium was because of the furore caused by them posing with it at the airport. Or maybe they paid for a flag, transported it to Holland but had no intention of taking it to the game? No one believes that no matter how staunch they paint themselves. If it had been seen in the stadium we were in deep shit. They have been warned, pleaded with, appealed to with no response, so the club either takes action or suffers the consequences.

It'll need someone who isn't Rangers to provide them though.

Who'd be the fan putting these guys before Rangers competing in Europe?
Not me anyway but I’d imagine their mates would pass on tickets.

I let my bus use my season tickets when I’m offshore and my worst nightmare is someone causing bother in my seat and I get fukced for it.

I personally think Freedom of speech should permit any such banner.

If someone wants to put a racially abusive message on a flag, then let them. Also allow for the justified backlash they will suffer.

Too many people get offended in today's world and it is pathetic. I dont cry when a mentally challenged calls me an orange bastard. I'm not and they are wrong.

The club, however, needs to get a grip on these flares from a uefa point of view. Great to see but dangerous and most fans dont want them.
There’s nothing to stop people putting anything on a banner. They run the risks of breaking any applicable laws in doing so. That’s their problem.

The problem here is putting Rangers name or logo or anything relating Rangers to the message on the same banner. Now Rangers have been brought into it and associated with that message. That’s not on.

Banners like that must make board wonder if there is any chance of attracting blue chip sponsors in the future, Times have changed however we still have too many who think they can turn the clock back decades. I wouldn’t survive 24 hours in my job if I was pictured with that flag. I think the saving grace for most of us was that we lived in an era where photographs were personal and not exposed to millions within hours.

Not me anyway but I’d imagine their mates would pass on tickets.

I let my bus use my season tickets when I’m offshore and my worst nightmare is someone causing bother in my seat and I get fukced for it.
I've usually got a couple of guys I trust to behave that'll take mine when I'm off, if it's a shorter notice trip I'll sell it on here but only to names that I'm familiar with.

I know it's helping your bus, but surely with the improved secondary ticketing the club would have to assume the responsibility for selling the ticket on if it puts your mind at ease.

I've usually got a couple of guys I trust to behave that'll take mine when I'm off, if it's a shorter notice trip I'll sell it on here but only to names that I'm familiar with.

I know it's helping your bus, but surely with the improved secondary ticketing the club would have to assume the responsibility for selling the ticket on if it puts your mind at ease.
Yeah if you use the secondary ticketing there’s no comeback if the club sells to someone who causes bother

That's a few times I've seen this cliche "banning them means the club are going down a dangerous path"

Can anyone explain why? Do you think the club are going to start banning people for wearing blue jackets in the future or something?
Was wondering the same myself. I'm not sure what dangerous precedent the club are apperntly setting or if it's even a new thing. If you intentionally put the reputation of the club at risk then I don't think you can be that surprised that the club would then issue you a ban.

Was wondering the same myself. I'm not sure what dangerous precedent the club are apperntly setting or if it's even a new thing. If you intentionally put the reputation of the club at risk then I don't think you can be that surprised that the club would then issue you a ban.

It sets none. It's either people being over dramatic for the sake of it, or they have some other reason they aren't sharing.

You embarrass the club, they have every right to ban you be it at the game or on route to Amsterdam.

That's a few times I've seen this cliche "banning them means the club are going down a dangerous path"

Can anyone explain why? Do you think the club are going to start banning people for wearing blue jackets in the future or something?
I haven’t said as such but I’m guessing the inference may be - where does it all end?
Imagine an RSC this weekend say with their own premises are filmed collectively singing some banned songs in their own premises and it’s shared on social media.
Does the football club ban them and revoke their tickets?

I haven’t said as such but I’m guessing the inference may be - where does it all end?
Imagine an RSC this weekend say with their own premises are filmed collectively singing some banned songs in their own premises and it’s shared on social media.
Maybe it'll make people think twice before filming and posting such stuff online.

Does no one stop to think that if everyone just put away their phones then a lot of this would go un noticed?

Maybe it'll make people think twice before filming and posting such stuff online.

Does no one stop to think that if everyone just put away their phones then a lot of this would go un noticed?
Agreed. Social media has a lot to answer for as the tit for tat culture between us and them is in full swing and won’t go away.

That'll be up to the club to determine if harms their image, you've got a load of factors to take into account.

Maybe if people would use their brains and not sing songs that will drag the club through the mud.

Tend to agree with him tbh, I might be wrong but the picture wasn’t at the game it was at the airport. Was it daft or course it was but let’s be honest here if it was put up in a bar in Amsterdam no one would have said anything about it.

And if it was put up at the game it could have cost us a stadium closure and potential millions

The club have to be seen to be doing something to eradicate sectarianism ffs how does it look if they don't try and act robustly with idiots waving banners like that in public?

They will be lucky not to have their names handed to the police for a potential sectarian breach of the charge

So Rangers are now banning people for a flag that was displayed outside the stadium

Worrying turn of events for everyone I think.

Very dangerous path to go down
It's a very dangerous path for the club that these clowns think it's acceptable to make a banner like this and have it plastered all over social media and newspaper back pages. Also all the repeated praise and justification of the use of flares when it's clearly against the tournament organisers rules is just head in the sand stuff.

Just answering the question. Not defending or criticizing anyone.
Right now the word 19th Century Terrorist has been considered offensive, so that can't be mentioned. What next?
My guess is that they will start to have a look at "The Cry" mentioning James' rebel scum. Right now it's OK but my guess is that it won't be for long. After that, the sky's the limit.
I've never met anyone who is genuinely offended by the word 19th Century Terrorist or orange followed by bastard.
In the past few weeks our support has been exemplary. No mention of this in any media, just the slabbering wait for the next transgression. And here it is.
Also, most of this pertains to the Europa League games. A tournament operated by one of the most corrupt organizations in the world who are preaching morality to us.
To turn the tables, at what point would our club or support decide enough is enough and start boycotting such a corrupt entity?

Do fans have a contract with the club stating this fact? Or is this just something that sounds good in your head?

This is taken from the confirmation received from RFC when I bought a ticket for Feyenoord away.

** FORM OF UNDERTAKING ** I acknowledge that in applying for this ticket, and as a condition of any tickets or tickets being issued to me, I am aware of, endorse and will comply in all respects with Article 14 of UEFA disciplinary regulations on racism and other discriminatory conduct. I shall not indulge in behaviour which insults the human dignity of a person or group of persons on whatever grounds, including skin colour, race, religion, ethnic origin, gender or sexual orientation and shall not sing any words that could be construed as having that effect. Any song that includes abusive language that is directed at any persons or groups within the above categories would breach this undertaking regardless of the word or words used to describe such person or groups and whether or not it can be argued that the word has some other meaning. I acknowledge that any breach of this undertaking will result in my being denied tickets for all future matches involving Rangers Football Club and that any tickets that I have already purchased will be cancelled.

Thank you for purchasing items with Rangers Football Club Limited.

Right now the word 19th Century Terrorist has been considered offensive, so that can't be mentioned. What next?
My guess is that they will start to have a look at "The Cry" mentioning James' rebel scum. Right now it's OK but my guess is that it won't be for long. After that, the sky's the limit.
I've never met anyone who is genuinely offended by the word 19th Century Terrorist or orange followed by bastard.
In the past few weeks our support has been exemplary. No mention of this in any media, just the slabbering wait for the next transgression. And here it is.
Also, most of this pertains to the Europa League games. A tournament operated by one of the most corrupt organizations in the world who are preaching morality to us.
To turn the tables, at what point would our club or support decide enough is enough and start boycotting such a corrupt entity?
You suggesting we boycott europa league?

This is taken from the confirmation received from RFC when I bought a ticket for Feyenoord away.

** FORM OF UNDERTAKING ** I acknowledge that in applying for this ticket, and as a condition of any tickets or tickets being issued to me, I am aware of, endorse and will comply in all respects with Article 14 of UEFA disciplinary regulations on racism and other discriminatory conduct. I shall not indulge in behaviour which insults the human dignity of a person or group of persons on whatever grounds, including skin colour, race, religion, ethnic origin, gender or sexual orientation and shall not sing any words that could be construed as having that effect. Any song that includes abusive language that is directed at any persons or groups within the above categories would breach this undertaking regardless of the word or words used to describe such person or groups and whether or not it can be argued that the word has some other meaning. I acknowledge that any breach of this undertaking will result in my being denied tickets for all future matches involving Rangers Football Club and that any tickets that I have already purchased will be cancelled.

Doesn't get much clearer than that

The Club should have been quicker to take a stance after our players were assaulted (on safety issues) at Fir Park, Hampden and the near disaster at Kilmarnock.

The supporters who jumped on the disabled shelter at Rugby Park was a foreseen Issue (not difficult to imagine it could happen) and was the responsibility of Kilmarnock F.C. A canvass roof for a disabled shelter?

Shocking from our board quite frankly and they should have pointed the blame elsewhere rather than banning supporters from Ibrox for life.

Last edited:
What corrupt entity are you saying we should think about boycotting?
I asked a question wondering if anyone had a limit about what they will stand from UEFA dictates, that's all. I'm not saying we should boycott the Europa league as things stand now. If that's all you took from the post, oh well.

actually it’s rebel band, it was doctored and changed to scum by our supporters.
As Dundee Hamilton even up to Aberdeen turned into FTP and the Vatican
It’s time to stop and pathetic attempts to try and justify things that are deemed sectarian is just stupid

I asked a question wondering if anyone had a limit about what they will stand from UEFA dictates, that's all. I'm not saying we should boycott the Europa league as things stand now. If that's all you took from the post, oh well.

it’s not about what “we will stand for” it’s about what EUFA will stand for. Can people not get that through their skulls ffs

The Club should have been quicker to take a stance after our players were assaulted (on safety issues) at Fir Park, Hampden and the near disaster at Kilmarnock.

The supporters who jumped on the disabled shelter at Rugby Park was a foreseen Issue (not difficult to imagine it could happen) and was the responsibility of Kilmarnock F.C. A canvass roof for a disabled shelter?

Shocking from our board quite frankly and they should have pointed the blame elsewhere rather than banning supporters from Ibrox for life.
Maybe it would be easier for the board to defend the support if a section of the fan base stopped behaving like morons.

There is no defence of this banner, or the singing of add ons. Or jumping on the roof of the disabled section.

If fans don’t realise that by attending a match they have to adhere to the terms and conditions of the ticket issuance, then they should not be at the match because they clearly cannot understand their obligations to not behave in a particular manner.
The terms and conditions of the contractual arrangement between the ticket issuer and the ticket purchaser could not be clearer. There are no excuses.

You had a bit of a guess about something that might happen, rambled a bit, then asked when we "decide enough is enough and start boycotting such a corrupt entity "
Thats what i took from it

You had a bit of a guess about something that might happen, rambled a bit, then asked when we "decide enough is enough and start boycotting such a corrupt entity "
Thats what i took from it
The actual song I chose to suggest that UEFA might look at is a bit of a guess. But to think that we stop singing the word 19th Century Terrorist or FTP, etc and all this goes away is wishful thinking.
In Scotland our mere existence is enough to send most media and clubs in to meltdown. UEFA's list of banned songs and banners isn't going to get any smaller.
I'm not suggesting that we do nothing, I'm merely asking at what point would fans say enough is enough, as in it becomes a witch hunt against our club.
From some of the replies it appears that if the money is big enough we'll ban anything or anyone.

Social media is not to blame for a couple of bams putting that on a flag. It seems to me like many of us are still fumbling around looking for excuses, or trying to muddy the waters for whatever reasons. The fact is that Rangers aren't going to tolerate people shouting about the Pope and 19th Century Terrorists anymore. They don't care if you don't like it. We have been threatened with a full stadium closure and, ultimately, expulsion from Europe. Think about that for a second. The club have no option but to adopt a zero tolerance approach to this now. People either accept this and change their behaviour, or they continue to put the club's future at risk by singing these songs. Can they really be described as Rangers supporters if they go with the latter option?

actually it’s rebel band, it was doctored and changed to scum by our supporters.
As Dundee Hamilton even up to Aberdeen turned into FTP and the Vatican
It’s time to stop and pathetic attempts to try and justify things that are deemed sectarian is just stupid

Well said.

Plus you are spot on with the lyrics. I take great pride in sticking to the original. They were a rebel band... that's what we should sing. We just love bastardised versions of songs. :(

Embarrassing.

The actual song I chose to suggest that UEFA might look at is a bit of a guess. But to think that we stop singing the word 19th Century Terrorist or FTP, etc and all this goes away is wishful thinking.
In Scotland our mere existence is enough to send most media and clubs in to meltdown. UEFA's list of banned songs and banners isn't going to get any smaller.
I'm not suggesting that we do nothing, I'm merely asking at what point would fans say enough is enough, as in it becomes a witch hunt against our club.
From some of the replies it appears that if the money is big enough we'll ban anything or anyone.
Simply put, Uefa's baw Uefa's rules whether we like it or not. Songbook at Ibrox has gradually changed & it'll continue to change as time goes on. The use of certain words arent allowed in certain contexts. We all know this and already we have fans within our support encouraging change.
Not sure we could claim a witch hunt if we keep breaking the rules.

Back