The club in the best place it’s been since..

Haining84

Thinking about where is club as a whole is right now,is it in the best place it’s been since the milenium?

When I say “as a whole” I mean take into account and factor in the playing squad & potential,the management team & their potential,finances and also off field issues.

The Advocaat/McLeish teams of 2001 to 2003 were obviously far better teams packed with top international players but we were carrying about a debt of between £50-£80m and serous questions were now being asked by the likes of the RST about Sir ‘Duped’s’ running of the club.

2004 until 2007 were mostly patchy and below par on the pitch apart from the legendary Helicopter Sunday season.

2007 to 2011 were superb on the pitch winning everything again under Walter and with a good squad but ultimately by that point we now had the big tax case looming over us and the bank basically running the club as well as a chairman/owner looking to get out the dodge.

The Craig Whyte takeover and administration,being thrown down the division and the subsequent Spiv wars of the next 3 years needs nothing more said and since the March 2015 EGM when we finally got the club back it’s been a slow process rebuilding everything on and off the pitch brick by brick.

As things currently stand(and we’ve still got a long way to go)we’ve got what looks more and more like a cracking young modern management team in Gerrard & Beale who are only going to get better.The playing squad now has real depth and quality running through it with some really really good individuals who have a decent sell on value,we’ve got no debt and wealthy directors who actually put their money where their mouths are and bar the ongoing retail dispute with that fat sack of sh!t Mike Ashley,we got no more major off field or legacy issues to deal with anymore.

I also think there’s a genuine feel good factor around the club and not just with the progress being made on the pitch,the whole vibe seems to be one of relief the dark days are over and quiet confidence about the future.Even the wee things like Souness turning up at pre season camp,Gazza making his return last week and some of the work the club is doing off the field feel genuine and not the usual sugar coated PR crap clubs churn out.

Nothing’s perfect and we’ve all got issue we feel could be improved on weather it be dealing with BBC Scotland,PR strategy,club1872 getting a seat on the board,the standard of the food etc but on the whole where do to see the the position of the club being in relation to the semi recent past?

If we stop 9 (I’d settle for stopping 10), it’ll be a new beginning. The fallout from our financial collapse will be over as well as the years of looming uncertainty before it. And we’ve a stadium expansion to look forward to.

In terms of off-pitch matters and the general well-being of the club, we are in the best position now since the day Murray took over. It wasn't immediately apparent but the self-interest of Murray and his refusal to listen to anyone else or consider the broader implications of his ill-conceived schemes ultimately led us down a very dark path

I truly believe that with the guys we have running the club, in addition to the footballing infrastucture we have now, that if we we win the league this season it could lead to a real period of dominance that not even Dr Death could undo.
I agree completely but I'm afraid your very last comment will eventually disappear into the mists of time.
I'm absolutely convinced that bastard orchestrated the whole thing!

According to some on here we have an inept board who do nothing for the support whereas the reality is in the subject of this thread.

Right now we could not ask for more from the board or Steven Gerrard and his staff.

I genuinely don’t see that on here.

In terms of off-pitch matters and the general well-being of the club, we are in the best position now since the day Murray took over. It wasn't immediately apparent but the self-interest of Murray and his refusal to listen to anyone else or consider the broader implications of his ill-conceived schemes ultimately led us down a very dark path
But what's we the fans need to remember is that it was not our fault. But by %^*& were we the ones punished while some utter disgraceful businessmen proceeded to feed on us. And continue to do so. Shameful and for me illegal. I do not know how CW got away with his scam. Unreal.

It's still difficult to accept just how close Rangers were to the abyss during the dark days of 2011-15. We owe Dave King a tremendous debt of gratitude for rescuing the club from the clutches of the spivs and their assorted lackeys.

The path from that nightmare period to where we are today has involved a number of bumps along the way, but we are now indisputably heading in the right direction. All apects of the club - from the talent demonstrated by our youth teams, to the depth and quality of our starting squad, not to mention the leadership shown by our charismatic, well-respected manager - all are on track. In fact it might not be too much of a stretch to argue that Rangers could be on the cusp of a new 'golden era'.

Great post OP.

Throughout the journey I was worried about losing a generation of supporters with fewer and fewer children and youngsters in the stands and an aging supporter demographic.

The resurgence aided by The Gaffer has resulted in an increasing amount of younger Bears loving the football again and has really inspired me.

Having stood on our packed to capacity terraces over the past 7 years it never ceased to amaze me the strength and depth of support for our Club as I looked around our stadium.

I've actually had to pinch myself at times against lower league opposition when marveling on our record breaking attendances, all largely ignored by the media. The story of our travails and our collective determination to provide the necessary life support to sustain The Rangers is the stuff of dreams and will be a movie one day.

Recently I think the most amazing sensation ever was when I gazed at the 'rump' of celtc supporters kettled in to the wedge. To think that the demand for season tickets was so strong it gave the club the opportunity to slash their allocation really really resonated with us all.

I'll never tire of posting this...

Our greatest weapon
Feared most by our enemies
Is our loyalty.

I've never felt prouder of my fellow supporters.

Given we appear to have genuine Rangers fans at the helm determined to avoid the pitfalls of the past and not some egomaniacal rugby supporting balloon from Edinburgh, you could argue we’re in the best place we’ve been for thirty years.

It's here all right, look at the shit the board gets anytime anything is in the media about us.

They’re praised when they deserve it and criticised when they deserve it. Most fans have no agendas re the board.....although there still exists in the Rangers support those who wouldn’t dare criticise whichever faction was in control.

Club is now in the best place since the early Souness era (pre Sir Duped). We have built a team capable of winning trophies as well as playing in Europe. The proof however will be weighed in silverware and titles.

According to some on here we have an inept board who do nothing for the support whereas the reality is in the subject of this thread.

Right now we could not ask for more from the board or Steven Gerrard and his staff.
Bang on. The club is moving forward into a bright future. Hopefully the dwindling numbers who are now one of the biggest threats to success and mid-term growth are left to wallow. Rangers fans don’t want a toxic brand, we want a club that can compete at the highest level possible without the threat from “our own”.

I agree with you, but don't forget if McInnes hadn't shat his pants at the last minute Gerrard wouldn't be here. The board are doing okay and dodged a bullet two years ago. But if any fan base needs to constantly breath down the necks of its board members its us.

I agree with you, but don't forget if McInnes hadn't shat his pants at the last minute Gerrard wouldn't be here. The board are doing okay and dodged a bullet two years ago. But if any fan base needs to constantly breath down the necks of its board members its us.
Hang on, the majority of this board were foaming at the mouth at the thought of getting McInnes. Myself and a few other took a ridiculous amount of abuse for being negative and refusing to accept 'being one of us' and getting 2nd place in a backwater league without us contesting it, automatically means success.

Sure the board dodged a bullet but they were supported by the majority of the support in their approach.

Thinking about where is club as a whole is right now,is it in the best place it’s been since the milenium?

When I say “as a whole” I mean take into account and factor in the playing squad & potential,the management team & their potential,finances and also off field issues.

The Advocaat/McLeish teams of 2001 to 2003 were obviously far better teams packed with top international players but we were carrying about a debt of between £50-£80m and serous questions were now being asked by the likes of the RST about Sir ‘Duped’s’ running of the club.

2004 until 2007 were mostly patchy and below par on the pitch apart from the legendary Helicopter Sunday season.

2007 to 2011 were superb on the pitch winning everything again under Walter and with a good squad but ultimately by that point we now had the big tax case looming over us and the bank basically running the club as well as a chairman/owner looking to get out the dodge.

The Craig Whyte takeover and administration,being thrown down the division and the subsequent Spiv wars of the next 3 years needs nothing more said and since the March 2015 EGM when we finally got the club back it’s been a slow process rebuilding everything on and off the pitch brick by brick.

As things currently stand(and we’ve still got a long way to go)we’ve got what looks more and more like a cracking young modern management team in Gerrard & Beale who are only going to get better.The playing squad now has real depth and quality running through it with some really really good individuals who have a decent sell on value,we’ve got no debt and wealthy directors who actually put their money where their mouths are and bar the ongoing retail dispute with that fat sack of sh!t Mike Ashley,we got no more major off field or legacy issues to deal with anymore.

I also think there’s a genuine feel good factor around the club and not just with the progress being made on the pitch,the whole vibe seems to be one of relief the dark days are over and quiet confidence about the future.Even the wee things like Souness turning up at pre season camp,Gazza making his return last week and some of the work the club is doing off the field feel genuine and not the usual sugar coated PR crap clubs churn out.

Nothing’s perfect and we’ve all got issue we feel could be improved on weather it be dealing with BBC Scotland,PR strategy,club1872 getting a seat on the board,the standard of the food etc but on the whole where do to see the the position of the club being in relation to the semi recent past?
I agree with a lot that you’re saying here but, what price would you put on our on field successes?
Would you swap 03, 05 and 08-11, and what for?

I agree with a lot that you’re saying here but, what price would you put on our on field successes?
Would you swap 03, 05 and 08-11, and what for?
It’s hard to answer that Tazza even with hindsight because the on field success is a club of our statures bread and butter and there’s the emotional attachment.

I suppose a tough question would be,would you swap Walter’s 3IAR and the cups for a player fire sale that cleared the bank debt and covered the BTC,got rid of Murray and avoided Craig Whyte,Admin and the lower leagues?

It’s hard to answer that Tazza even with hindsight because the on field success is a club of our statures bread and butter and there’s the emotional attachment.

I suppose a tough question would be,would you swap Walter’s 3IAR and the cups for a player fire sale that cleared the bank debt and covered the BTC,got rid of Murray and avoided Craig Whyte,Admin and the lower leagues?
I was just trying to word a reply to Tazz and I’d personally not have won them to avoid what happened. Obviously we’d have won others scattered throughout to prevent any real 8/9/10. Then to be here with the people in charge starting from a stronger position a few years ago.

The problem with that scenario was that the BTC was feared to have been anything up to a hundred million quid.

No one was coming near us with that potential liability hanging over our heads. Even if King and Paul Murray had headed Whyte off at the pass, admin / liquidation was probably still an inevitability given that we lost the BTC in the end anyway.

Even if Murray had offered HMRC an Arsenal style pence in the pound deal, would they have accepted?

I think we were screwed no matter which we way may have tried to turn.

Great post OP.

Throughout the journey I was worried about losing a generation of supporters with fewer and fewer children and youngsters in the stands and an aging supporter demographic.

The resurgence aided by The Gaffer has resulted in an increasing amount of younger Bears loving the football again and has really inspired me.

Having stood on our packed to capacity terraces over the past 7 years it never ceased to amaze me the strength and depth of support for our Club as I looked around our stadium.

I've actually had to pinch myself at times against lower league opposition when marveling on our record breaking attendances, all largely ignored by the media. The story of our travails and our collective determination to provide the necessary life support to sustain The Rangers is the stuff of dreams and will be a movie one day.

Recently I think the most amazing sensation ever was when I gazed at the 'rump' of celtc supporters kettled in to the wedge. To think that the demand for season tickets was so strong it gave the club the opportunity to slash their allocation really really resonated with us all.

I'll never tire of posting this...

Our greatest weapon
Feared most by our enemies
Is our loyalty.

I've never felt prouder of my fellow supporters.

Very well said, GG.

The part were you mention of the ageing supporter bracket really had me worried too. My brother who is 12 is football daft, but at the age of around 7 where they normally get right in to it proper (well was the case for me) I wouldn’t blame him for watching the Premier League and loving the likes of Liverpool, City etc with their gulf in class because let’s face it, we had NOTHING to offer the younger generation.

Now he is Rangers daft, Gerrard daft and Morelos daft. Kids these days are genuinely starting ti have Rangers heroes. Just like me and you!

The problem with that scenario was that the BTC was feared to have been anything up to a hundred million quid.

No one was coming near us with that potential liability hanging over our heads. Even if King and Paul Murray had headed Whyte off at the pass, admin / liquidation was probably still an inevitability given that we lost the BTC in the end anyway.

Even if Murray had offered HMRC an Arsenal style pence in the pound deal, would they have accepted?

I think we were screwed no matter which we way may have tried to turn.
I seem to recall the BTC being a potential maximum of £49m at worst scenario.I remember Whyte lying in the press quoting £85m and im sure the actual figure turned out to be lower than the expected £49m?

I seem to recall the BTC being a potential maximum of £49m at worst scenario.I remember Whyte lying in the press quoting £85m and im sure the actual figure turned out to be lower than the expected £49m?

It did, but no one really knew at the time.

£49m was the guesstimate, but there was suggestions, not all of them Yahoo fuelled propaganda, that it could be even higher.

Who really wanted to take that risk?

I’d have thought £49m would have been manageable, given we’d not long came down from £80m to the £18 and still kept an element of success.
I don’t want to come over as pro-Murray here but, remember, he did nothing illegal.
The EBT’s were legal then and were supported by both the FTT and the UTT, both of whom were more focused on tax/financial laws, for want of a better phrase.
It wasn’t until courts with different remits/priorities/agendas even, became involved and a, previously unheard of, common sense verdict, went against us, that the tax bill became due.
Murray selling to Whyte though was scandalous and I wish nothing but bad on both.
Whyte’s non payment of basic taxes was criminal and I’d suggest was the straw that sent us into the shit that we’re only now coming out of.
Would I swap 04-12 for King from them to now?
Probably but it shouldn’t have been necessary.

Very well said, GG.

The part were you mention of the ageing supporter bracket really had me worried too. My brother who is 12 is football daft, but at the age of around 7 where they normally get right in to it proper (well was the case for me) I wouldn’t blame him for watching the Premier League and loving the likes of Liverpool, City etc with their gulf in class because let’s face it, we had NOTHING to offer the younger generation.

Now he is Rangers daft, Gerrard daft and Morelos daft. Kids these days are genuinely starting ti have Rangers heroes. Just like me and you!

Just love stories like yours Tam. Fills me with hope and quells my fears that we will have low attendances in the decades to come. Your Bros is the future for our club. Thanks for sharing mate.

I’d have thought £49m would have been manageable, given we’d not long came down from £80m to the £18 and still kept an element of success.
I don’t want to come over as pro-Murray here but, remember, he did nothing illegal.
The EBT’s were legal then and were supported by both the FTT and the UTT, both of whom were more focused on tax/financial laws, for want of a better phrase.
It wasn’t until courts with different remits/priorities/agendas even, became involved and a, previously unheard of, common sense verdict, went against us, that the tax bill became due.
Murray selling to Whyte though was scandalous and I wish nothing but bad on both.
Whyte’s non payment of basic taxes was criminal and I’d suggest was the straw that sent us into the shit that we’re only now coming out of.
Would I swap 04-12 for King from them to now?
Probably but it shouldn’t have been necessary.
Well said.

It's great we don't have that debt but it was absolutely brutal going through all that and I doubt it'll happen again. If we could just get Mike Ashley away from anything to do with our club I wouldn't be reminded of what happened.

Hang on, the majority of this board were foaming at the mouth at the thought of getting McInnes. Myself and a few other took a ridiculous amount of abuse for being negative and refusing to accept 'being one of us' and getting 2nd place in a backwater league without us contesting it, automatically means success.

Sure the board dodged a bullet but they were supported by the majority of the support in their approach.
No where near a majority wanted McInnes. This place has a lot of faults but with regard to McInnes most on here were reigned to the fact he was coming.

Back