The Common Market Match: The Three v The Six

drgriffen

Must admit i had never heard of this match:

DxOO-TGWoAA5kUR.jpg

DxOO-TGWwAEwPqZ.jpg

Colin Stein scores:

DxOkkWkXcAAOeaI.jpg:large

as we are going on unusual matches ive got a paper clipping of I think Rangers select against dunfermline in the 70s think it ended 4-3 to Rangers but im sure dennis law played for Dunfermline or I might be going senile :eek:

C. C. C. Stein then a Coventry player, I always think of him as ours. The stamp says"European Communities", no inkling then that it would morph into a singular union. Thank goodness the British people eventually people woke up to the quicksand before we're entirely subsumed by it. Can we have a game against the Commonwealth to celebrate our escape?

You have to be of a certain age to even remember the term "common market " , I have no memory of this game whatsoever .

Remember the match, in fact I've had many an argument about it most of my friends didn't believe it took place, thank god for the Internet

England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. Eire, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Germany, France & Denmark.
"British 3" v "Common Market 6" doesn't seem to add up, or was it just a reference to the nationalities who actually played?

I remember the game taking place but I seem to remember Alan Hunter ( N. Ireland & Ipswich) playing. Not really sure on that but he may have been a last minute addition.

England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. Eire, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Germany, France & Denmark.
"British 3" v "Common Market 6" doesn't seem to add up, or was it just a reference to the nationalities who actually played?

Seems to be more than nine nationalities who played, something like 5 v 5, so not sure how they worked out the three v the six format.

Never aware this ever happened. Often there’s a little glimmer at the back of your mind for things like this - but nothing!

I remember it Colin Stein played and Alf Ramsay was the Manger. It was in the days of the Common Market prior to the Political Union carry on which has ultimately led to Brexit.

I also remember a new 50 pence coin being brought out to commemorate this event which had a set of 9 Hands joining to signify the joining of the 6 and the 3(I think)

as we are going on unusual matches ive got a paper clipping of I think Rangers select against dunfermline in the 70s think it ended 4-3 to Rangers but im sure dennis law played for Dunfermline or I might be going senile :eek:
Wasn’t that to raise money for either a pit disaster or the Ibrox one ?

Henning Jensen, who played against us with Borussia Moenchengladbach with the first then Steiny clinching it

Respective captains Bobby Charlton and Gunther Netzer

Not sure need to up in loft and check it out sure it was in the early 70s so could have been for Ibrox disaster
im sure the Ibrox disaster game was a midweek game at hampden,,between a rangers/mentally challengeds select v an english league select,,george best and bobby charlton part of it if i remember correctly,,as a wee aside ,do any bears remember the game at hampden for our queens silver jubilee,, a glasgow select v scotland ?

Remember this on TV as live games were almost as rare as rocking horse manure. Mainly watched it for Colin Stein even though there were world legends on the park.

im sure the Ibrox disaster game was a midweek game at hampden,,between a rangers/mentally challengeds select v an english league select,,george best and bobby charlton part of it if i remember correctly,,as a wee aside ,do any bears remember the game at hampden for our queens silver jubilee,, a glasgow select v scotland ?

Yes big thread on the old board about it. Mainly about the scum
getting chased out the mount Florida end,,, :))

https://www.google.com/search?clien...i13i30j33i21.y_douuGndWA#imgrc=f0Ky5bd4X7skZM:

Last edited:

I was at both. Hampden was heaving for the benefit game and i and my mates could only get in the North Enclosure.
The Queens Jubilee game was I'm sure a midweek afternoon game and Wee Liz left at half-time(said she had her work and the traffic was murder). The second half turned into a sash-fest to the disgruntlement of the Tims in attendance. Yes there was quite a few.

Are they saying that Bobby Charlton became England’s most capped player by playing in this match? If so, it doesn’t make sense.

Yup. I think the score was 2-1 (Dalglish scored I'm sure.) That would have been just before his move to Liverpool.

was at game still have programme lol think 30,000 at game all the Glasgow club colours including clyde at that time where incorporated

Back