The Copland Road Stand before the advent of season tickets.

ThorntonMM

This is from the early 80s when the only season ticket for this area of the ground was the the old Rover ticket where you could sit in any seat there or the Govan stand.
It was always the place to be (East Enclosure as well) for a singsong during the game yet in the past few years it is probably the quietest area in the stadium.

Why is there no obvious desire to change things and return it back to being the traditional Rangers end?
Most of the noise now of course comes from the Broomie (Union Bears).
Would the present climate not be the time to consider having a standing section at the bottom section and help turn Ibrox back into a fortress again.?

Great pic.
The 25000 average attendance back then made more noise than the 50000 we get now.
Would be great to have standing in the Copland but the club don't seem to want to do it anywhere in the stadium.
I've been in the Copland on 2 or 3 occasions the past season or two. I'm shocked at how quiet the place is. It needs to be addressed.

I totally agree that though there was only around 27,000 average attendance the stadium had a great atmosphere on many occasions.

The season ticket revolution at Ibrox was in 1987, that’s now 33 years ago

Many of the fans that bought season books then still have them - meaning they are now over 30 years older.

Typically you don’t sing as much in your 50/60s as you did when 30 years younger.

This, I believe, is a key reason why the stadium is quieter these days.

In practical terms, it hard to move guys who’ve had season books for 20/30 years in the Copland out of that area to create a singing section.

The 2022 plans might rejuvenate the Copland a little. If people are arriving early and spending time at the fan hub then I’d expect quite a few seat transfer requests to that area of the stadium.

Many of the fans that bought season books then still have them - meaning they are now over 30 years older.

Typically you don’t sing as much in your 50/60s as you did when 30 years younger.

In practical terms, it hard to move guys who’ve had season books for 20/30 years in the Copland out of that area to create a singing section.
Other clubs have done it.
The club can move anyone into any other area of the ground if they desire.

This ^^^ in a nutshell

It’s why I let my ST in the Copland go. Place had become full of moany old bastard borderline pensioners like me. LOL

Other clubs have done it.
The club can move anyone into any other area of the ground if they desire.

Of course they can and I’m not offering an opinion on whether they should or not.

But it is inarguably true that moving thousands of season ticket holders from an area they’ve sat in for decades is “difficult”.

Due to the ban on singing songs like the Billy Boys and "Cheer-up Tommy Burns" and todays public that want to be entertained that comes into the equation of how the Copland is quiet.

The young people of today cannae talk to each other unless its through a feckin mobile phone, what do you expect!!!!!

Went to a supporters meeting at Ibrox early 90’s John Greig hosted it.
He stated we missed a trick when selling season tickets.
This was done individually whereas the mhanky mob sold them as blocks to supporter clubs so the whole bus sat together to get the singing going.

Unfortunately in the rush and demand to get season tickets at that time there was no real thought about possible implications to the atmosphere.

If you weren't in early you weren't getting in.
I remember arriving at Ibrox for the game v Dortmund in 82 and the Copland was full before our bus arrived at 6.30.the game v the sheep that we got cuffed 3-0 pitch invasion,two of our players sent off in the first half.the govan stand was full 15 mins or so before kick off and bears who couldn’t find seats were moved into the broomloan.
Can you imagine the wailing on here if this was happening now.

Another reason for the poor atmosphere is the fact people can’t drink on the street any more. During the 80s and early 90s there were a lot more drunk people at the games. I’m not saying that was a good thing but it is a factor.

Always filled up from the top/middle outwards.. wasnt always full, we used to play a wee game n how many were in attendance at Ibrox.. fans were brilliant.. schemes used to go to games on mass.. the no4 bus was full of barmulloch bluenoses.. who as soon as the bus hit the city centre going home was left with no windows
We sang what we wanted no grassing rangers fans then, no press who had a agendae..working class protestants.. now our support is full of wee kid on university degree fannies n snobs..LBH

nyq8xhX.gif

Always filled up from the top/middle outwards.. wasnt always full, we used to play a wee game n how many were in attendance at Ibrox.. fans were brilliant.. schemes used to go to games on mass.. the no4 bus was full of barmulloch bluenoses.. who as soon as the bus hit the city centre going home was left with no windows
We sang what we wanted no grassing Rangers fans then, no press who had a agendae..working class protestants.. now our support is full of wee kid on university degree fannies n snobs..LBH

NI matches are the same now. Used to be a few thousand die hards, sang what you wanted and not have to worry.

Then when we drew England in 2005 a lot of ones jumped on the band wagon, seemed to be the popular thing then for the student type middle class snob element to move in to the support, the type you would never have seen at a football game! The long haired uni type with their put on snob voice!!

In my opinion they have ruined the games

There was one match a few years back sitting in laverys before the game and queens uni and jordanstown uni students were singing at each other who was the better university!!! That done it for me.

I still go to the odd NI game but not to worried now if I get a ticket or not and just stick to the loyalist bars now in south Belfast before a game

I remember sitting in the Main Stand on the night we played Fortuna Dusseldorf in the very early 80's. The stadium reconstruction was still taking place and I hadn't been in the Main Stand for years. What hit me that night was the absolute volume of noise that came from the Copland Stand. If you were in among it, as I usually would have been, you couldn't appreciate it. Sitting in the Main Stand that night it genuinely amazed me.

Had a Rover season ticket in the Copland in the early 80s, sat with all my pals & the atmosphere was great. Back then if you wanted a sing song. & to be in amongst the atmosphere it was a no brainer, you went to the Copland Road stand - the Rangers End.

I remember arriving at Ibrox for the game v Dortmund in 82 and the Copland was full before our bus arrived at 6.30.the game v the sheep that we got cuffed 3-0 pitch invasion,two of our players sent off in the first half.the govan stand was full 15 mins or so before kick off and bears who couldn’t find seats were moved into the broomloan.
Can you imagine the wailing on here if this was happening now.
I was at the sheep game,Shuggy Burns and Paterson got sent off and the Bears in the east enclosure came on the park.

The whole Govan Front being made into safe standing would be good imo.

Something has to be done about the atmosphere in ground it could and should be so much better.
My seat is in the Sandy Jardine stand (front) and has a great view,is under cover and having turned 70 there is no way I would give it up to allow a standing section as no doubt, if this were to happen, it would be unlikely I would get anything similar.

There's a bit of rose tinted spectacles about this. The Copland being quieter than it used to be is not a recent thing. I had a season ticket in CF4 for over twenty years and clearly remember the East Enclosure (rightly) taunting us with "Can you hear the Copland sing" and"Copland, Copland give us The Sash" on many occasions through NIAR. Safe standing would be brilliant in there and I'd love to know how many of the ST holders in there have been there for over 30 years.

My seat is in the Sandy Jardine stand (front) and has a great view,is under cover and having turned 70 there is no way I would give it up to allow a standing section as no doubt, if this were to happen, it would be unlikely I would get anything similar.

Understand completely mate.

Is something I would like to see but for various reason don't think it will.

No matter where the standing section goes if it does indeed come back there will be a few unhappy campers.

I loved it in there, and would cheer as the Copland nutter would bang on his drum only to be chased about by some copper, those were the days, as stated above a lot of the fans back then including myself are a LOT older now, don't get me wrong I still can kick the pope about Ibrox like a young one.

The first game played before the new stand was a 2-2 draw v Celtic. That was the game we threw away a 2-0 lead in the closing minutes. Felt like a defeat.
I've got the ticket stub somewhere. £2.50 front section I think it was that day.

As soon as the Coupland went season tickets late 80s it became boring and is easily the worst part of the stadium for atmosphere today imo.

Copland nutter got the place rocking for years. I sat in the east enclosure then, first thing I did when I got to my seat was to look over see if he was there. Remember Walter going over to him after we had won the league, think he gave him his waistcoat. Those were the days.

Regards my post #27 I have basically viewed games from all areas in the ground, except club deck, since I started going in 1963.
Have SAT on the terracing at Broomloan end watching games,yes there were small crowds like that,have got soaked at the rear of the Copland despite covering and I suppose everything in between.
I do have sympathies with those of a younger age who wish for a better section for singing/standing but it is is a hard task to place one.

And many will have been the original younger guys who went for the sing song so got seasons tickets there when they first came out. I had my season in the Copland in the 90s as it was just coming to end of the time that it was the area that when it got going, the whole stadium sang. As you get older, you do become more reticent to jump about like you did in your younger years. Plus with the season tickets, you are sitting next to guys you may not know and are going to see every other week.

Interesting to read the post about John Greig mentioning how we missed a trick by not selling tickets to RSCs/groups. Would certainly have made a difference

There used to be a bit of rivalry between the Copland and East Enclosure whenever it was going quiet, a “can you hear the Copland sing? No no.” etc then someone in the Copland would start “Hello Hello.” and both would start bouncing, or “The cry was No Surrender.”
Sadly the bigots complained about our songs, despite their despicable songs and behaviour, and stole a lot of the atmosphere,imo.

We sang what we wanted no grassing Rangers fans then, no press who had a agendae..working class protestants.. now our support is full of wee kid on university degree fannies n snobs..LBH

Do you not think the constant victimisation of our fans and being held to different standards has lead to us not ‘singing what we want’?

My ST is now in the Club Deck.

I started off (season 1972-73) in the 'Rangers end' as a loud, boisterous singer of every song in the song-book, but am now officially categorised as an auld cúnt, and agree that all others in that category should be moved, like me, 'upstairs' to allow rejuvenation of the Copland by our noisy youngsters.

Had a Rover season ticket in the Copland in the early 80s, sat with all my pals & the atmosphere was great. Back then if you wanted a sing song. & to be in amongst the atmosphere it was a no brainer, you went to the Copland Road stand - the Rangers End.

It’s sad what’s become of the traditional Rangers end.
You’ve got to laugh at guys slagging the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd.

Last edited:
Terrace was going by the time my dad started taking me to football.We had season tickets in the Copland Rd 1983/84.As someone else said the rover ticket sit anywhere and it was superb then.
The Copland has become like a hospital ward.Dont want to talk to loud.No one sings and if they do people are turning round and looking at them as if they are away with the bees.
Only part of the ground I’ve sat in that was worse was the main stand.Jesus loudest noise was the sweetie wrappers rustling.;)

The one thing to do to bring the atmosphere back would be to have a season ticket for the Copland and to have entry on a first come best seat basis. In early with a group of mates for a singsong was the way to go before season tickets split mates up. It gives the same problem as safe standing in that individuals are more difficult to identify. If you wanted to sing you got in early in order to be in the middle of it. Season ticket introduction meant that we went from a brilliant atmosphere every week to the Copland nutter mostly fighting a losing battle.

Back