The cost of going out of the Champions League

I’ve always said by getting the £5million parachute payment plus the extra gate money from the PSV game , it mitigates the difference quite a bit. Around £10 million difference sounds about right give or take.

The way some of the media dramatise it you’d think it’s “ £40 million” CL money or nothing.

I’ve always said by getting the £5million parachute payment plus the extra gate money from the PSV game , it mitigates the difference quite a bit. Around £10 million difference sounds about right give or take.

The way some of the media dramatise it you’d think it’s “ £40 million” CL money or nothing.

Exactly that mate, the money to be gained from being successful in the CL is the real game changer (wins/draws/qualification).

That comparison negates prize fee for winning group games doesn’t it?

You get more for winning CL group games but a lot harder to do. It’s not inconceivable we could get a draw that makes played 6 won 6 look possible in europa.

Said the same soon as we got past USG. Going out at that point would have been grim, but the £5m just for getting to the playoffs is a very healthy bonus should we fail here. Obviously not as much as CL money, but still a big step up from dropping down in the 3rd round.

I'm reading a lot of folk worried about going out and the upper hand that would supposedly give them financially.

Surely that is offset by the Bassey fee?

I think there are 3 reasons we have not spent more this summer after the Bassey, Itten and Aribo sales.

- Tillman
- Sands
- No CL football (budgeted for europa league only)

The only other offset there is that if we go out, we let Celtic have a larger TV money share from the CL pot, I think.

So, while it's not money lost to us directly, it does give them an advatage and works directly against us if it benefits them.

You're right though, it's not the "£40m at stake" that's often referred to though...nowhere near it.

I am sure the Board said last year that going all the way to the Europa Final offset not making the CL Group stage. These figures kinda vindicate that.

Progress through the Europa League beyond the Group stages narrows the gap even further compared to a team getting pumped in the CL groups and finishing bottom.

If it's just about the finances, or in an even more focused way our finances as compared to Celtic, the game isn't as vital as it could be as we've done well with player trading this summer.

For me, it's about that next step for many of these players, the footballing side of things. If we drop into the Europa League, it's not an absolute disaster, but I'm not convinced we'll be as motivated by it (fans and players) this season as we have been in previous seasons.

It's only a couple of decades where we actually wanted to and strived to actually do well in the CL; that was the basis any disappointment felt for not qualifying for it, or going out if it at the Group stages, and something that is largely forgotten now. We're not there now, and if we got through next week it would be a bonus, but the EL is a very good worse case scenario for us; especially with how far we got last season.

Figures were on here for free over a week ago. “Rangers Review Exclusive. Subscribe now”

Sadly David missed out the finer detail.

There’s an additional TV pool payment for Rangers exiting the Champions League which is 650k euros.

If it's just about the finances, or in an even more focused way our finances as compared to Celtic, the game isn't as vital as it could be as we've done well with player trading this summer.

For me, it's about that next step for many of these players, the footballing side of things. If we drop into the Europa League, it's not an absolute disaster, but I'm not convinced we'll be as motivated by it (fans and players) this season as we have been in previous seasons.
The interest only really picked up last year as the Prague game happened to be Gio's first.

The group stage was a bit of a grind and mostly during that period under Gerrard when we kept conceding first and everything felt like a struggle.

I'm reading a lot of folk worried about going out and the upper hand that would supposedly give them financially.

Yes but the scum will sell players too. We have to get more money through the door than them although we have picked up some real good players for little cash. We need to invest in every part of our football operations to match them as it's a fact that they are richer atm.

£16 million profit in our transfers this season and if we fall into the Europa League we are already guaranteed just a little over £10 million thanks to europa league group stage participation, champions league playoff parachute payment and coefficient bonus. Could go up another £1.5 million or so depending on things outwith our control.

That's before anything like ticket sales, performance bonuses and potential knockout round revenue. Champions League money is better than not having it but this season it won't be nearly as bad as it may have been a year or two ago if they got it and we didn't.

Spot on.

Some have it as the scum have a £40 million head start on us if we don't qualify, which is just nonsense.

It can end up as little as £5m difference depending on our seeding payment. The big difference comes from winning a few CL matches and qualifying from your group.

Yes but the scum will sell players too. We have to get more money through the door than them although we have picked up some real good players for little cash. We need to invest in every part of our football operations to match them as it's a fact that they are richer atm.
Who have they/will they sell?

It would be great for the club financially and also commercially, it would help with all sponsorship deals going forward.

on a football side dropping into the EL would not be a disaster. Depends if you prefer playing against the biggest names where we don’t have much chance of success or be first seeds in the europa in a competition we can go deep into again

Getting into the CL and get pumped in the majority of games achieves little overall in my opinion, especially if you end up finishing bottom in your group. A bit of money guaranteed sure but it’ll do nothing for the club’s co-efficient, will be no fun to watch and ultimately could impact the confidence of the team.

If we can’t get through against PSV then we’re better off not being in it especially since we’d be 4th seeds.

It can end up as little as £5m difference depending on our seeding payment. The big difference comes from winning a few CL matches and qualifying from your group.
Which they will not be doing.
If we don’t make it next week we will be top seed in the groups assuming we finish in that position any difference in money would be tiny.
If it’s the same as last season we would be into last 16 , if we finish top, which will have a considerable cash bonus attached.

Getting into the CL and get pumped in the majority of games achieves little overall in my opinion, especially if you end up finishing bottom in your group. A bit of money guaranteed sure but it’ll do nothing for the club’s co-efficient, will be no fun to watch and ultimately could impact the confidence of the team.

If we can’t get through against PSV then we’re better off not being in it especially since we’d be 4th seeds.
This.
it kind of sounds defeatist, but i think its a realistic take.

no fun watching us potentially get pumped, not good for the Co ef.
Not saying we will make the final again but a good possibility of going deep into the EL- quarters at least, which while entertaining, keeps our profile up and brings in cash.

if we are honest, EL is our level just now.

If it ends up Europa, we can go on another good run, and hopefully watch the rats get skelped and injured in the CL. Just win our League this season.
And all to play for still in Eindhoven.
We are improving our position all the time now.

Fee for qualifying Celtic Rangers
13.4m. 13.4m
Coefficient. 7.7m. 0.96
Market pool. 2.84. 2.33
Guaranteed. 23.68. 16.43

Europa league
Rangers.
Fee including the €5m 7.3m
Coefficient. 2.25m
Marketpool 2.4m
Guaranteed. 11.5m

The big difference is from money from wins and draws
If we go in to europa they get more market pool if we both get 2 wins one draw
We get 13.3m they would get 31.5m
This does not include ticketing etc

There's additional value to be had by making it to CL group stages. It adds a premium to the players value. Look at the crash barriers, they had their anus handed to them in basically every CL game they played. But those players who were toyed with in CL went for very decent sums.

The tims achieved 3 points the last 2 times they were in the Champions League. Our points tally in 20/21 (14) Europa League actually would be worth more in prize money this year than 3 points in the Champions League.

The rewards in the CL start to accumulate according to performance €15.64ml for participating €2.8ml each win €930000 each draw and €9.6ml for the last 16 for a team that wins all six games that's €42ml without playing a knockout game plus TV and gate money the scum are the whipping bhoys, I'm betting €15.64ml plus TV and gate then bye bye when we qualify next week we will nick some of their TV money we have far more potential to win European football than they do going by our track record and not by an inflated imagination.

Fee for qualifying Celtic Rangers
13.4m. 13.4m
Coefficient. 7.7m. 0.96
Market pool. 2.84. 2.33
Guaranteed. 23.68. 16.43

Europa league
Rangers.
Fee including the €5m 7.3m
Coefficient. 2.25m
Marketpool 2.4m
Guaranteed. 11.5m

The big difference is from money from wins and draws
If we go in to europa they get more market pool if we both get 2 wins one draw
We get 13.3m they would get 31.5m
This does not include ticketing etc

What's the difference then if they lose all their games, which is a realistic prospect?

Didn't realise the actual TV money share for the Scottish clubs was so poor. Basically if we both qualify we'll get around £3m each, or if we fail to qualify they'll get £6m in TV money.

I agree mate, personally I've very little appetite for another europa league campaign after Seville. The next step was Champions league group stages

Going out of the UCL I think weakens us domestically for two mean reasons.

Firstly playing Thursday/Sunday in the majority of games gives that other mob a big advantage as we'd be playing catch-up every week till the world cup starts.

Financially we'd be losing a minimum £10m and that would probably mean little money to strengthen the side in the remainder of the window as well.

What's the difference then if they lose all their games, which is a realistic prospect?
They will receive €15.64ml for qualification their first home game will be a full house at the theatre of screams gate money around €2.4 ml which they'll lose second home game €1.7ml which they'll lose and their third home game €6.5ml of damage to porkheid plus TV money around €7ml but if we're in €4ml.

Back