The cost of going out of the Champions League

What's not mentioned in the media, is celtic have spent alot of their cl to stand still by signing loan players from last season.

There seems to a bit of a gross unfairness in the way the market pool money is split in the UK by population share.

If BT are the sole rights holder, it means I can watch man city or Liverpool games, and those fans can watch rangers CL games as well.

Are Burnley fans going to watch man city or Liverpool games ahead of rangers games purely because they are English? I'm not so sure.

I don't get why the size of your population should dictate the TV payment, considering your going to be playing against the bigger teams anyway.

If rangers played galatasaray for example, I know who more people in the UK would be tuning in to watch, yet a Turkish team in the CL would get considerably more money than us.

If it's just about the finances, or in an even more focused way our finances as compared to Celtic, the game isn't as vital as it could be as we've done well with player trading this summer.

For me, it's about that next step for many of these players, the footballing side of things. If we drop into the Europa League, it's not an absolute disaster, but I'm not convinced we'll be as motivated by it (fans and players) this season as we have been in previous seasons.

Would depend on the draw, it would be disappointing not to get through on Wednesday, but I think we'd all concede that the Europa gives us the best chance of a long run, would prefer dropping in via the CL groups mind you, especially as that route is due to be closed soon.

I’ve always said by getting the £5million parachute payment plus the extra gate money from the PSV game , it mitigates the difference quite a bit. Around £10 million difference sounds about right give or take.

The way some of the media dramatise it you’d think it’s “ £40 million” CL money or nothing.

Propaganda pure and simple.

I'm reading a lot of folk worried about going out and the upper hand that would supposedly give them financially.

Surely that is offset by the Bassey fee?
And Paterson, and Gerrard, and aribo.

Clearly more money would be better but I’m not concerned about it.

There seems to a bit of a gross unfairness in the way the market pool money is split in the UK by population share.

If BT are the sole rights holder, it means I can watch man city or Liverpool games, and those fans can watch rangers CL games as well.

Are Burnley fans going to watch man city or Liverpool games ahead of rangers games purely because they are English? I'm not so sure.

I don't get why the size of your population should dictate the TV payment, considering your going to be playing against the bigger teams anyway.

If rangers played galatasaray for example, I know who more people in the UK would be tuning in to watch, yet a Turkish team in the CL would get considerably more money than us.

What's really unfair is that very few clubs will ever be able to access these huge sums of money. In effect a few clubs in every country will just become stronger and stronger therby killing competition. It isnt conducive to making football better though the ones raking in the cash wont care. The fans are the losers.

The idea that we are somehow desperate or dependent on CL money is a myth and only serves to support and further the old “Sevco are skint” trope.

We’ll be fine either way, it’s a massive achievement if we progress to the CL groups don’t get me wrong but not a disaster if we don’t.

We’ve had three cracks at qualifying for this years CL, Europa league final, last seasons league championship and now the qualifying rounds, if we don’t make it we didn’t deserve it.

Don't ever trust a journalist's take on finances. They're unqualified and have done some fag packet maths to generate a clickbait story

Reality is 10x more complicated - they haven't built in player bonuses (significantly higher when you qualify for CL), add-ons for transfer deals (often include CL appearances), additional VAT and corporation tax liabilities, impact on existing club sponsor deals (often also include CL exposure clauses) etc

The only way of knowing exactly how its impacted our finances will be in the year end accounts (to June 2023) which we likely won't see until end of 2023.

I’m that 5m para bite will really help soften it.

But it’s where we want to be.

Top seeding in EL though?
As it stands we wouldn't just be pot 1, we'd be the 4th highest ranked team in terms of coefficient behind Man U, Roma and Arsenal in the entire competition. The only team left that could move us down a spot (still be Pot 1) would be Benfica if they failed to reach the CL too, which is looking unlikely after last night's 2-0 away win over Kiev. Some tasty teams already confirmed such as Lazio, Feyenoord, Betis, Monaco, Rennes, Sociedad, Braga, Frieburg, Union Berlin and Nantes. Lazio, Braga and Feyenoord would probably be Pot 1 too but we could draw any of the rest. Wouldn’t be the disaster it's painted as if we don't qualify, and we'd have an outstanding chance of topping the group and going straight to the last 16 again. Then as last season showed, anything is possible. Obviously, I'd rather we got through next week but pot4, given Benfica look like going through now and taking the last pot3 spot, would be a very, very tough ask indeed to even finish 3rd and be involved after Christmas.

Edit: we'd actually be below Lazio too so 5th highest ranked as it stands. The likely Pot1 teams would be Man U, Roma, Arsenal, Lazio, Rangers, Zagreb, Braga and Red Star if Zagreb and Red Star fail to qualify for CL.

Last edited:
What's the difference then if they lose all their games, which is a realistic prospect?
Without knowing who will be in their group it's tricky but I would be surprised if they don't get 3 or 4 points. They will get a lift from playing at home - as we do. Good quality teams will still do the business regardless of the environment but there has to be some weaker teams in there.

So if comparing possible finances from Europe for Rangers and celtic this year I reckon it would be more realistic to assume Rangers would not win all their group games in the Europa League even if we are top seeds, and that celtic will take 3 or 4 champions League points.

We go all out to win against PSV and then take it from there.

While the money is a huge factor, that's for the money men to worry about. As a fan, all I care about is the team doing well.

It's highly unlikely we're going to progress deep into the CL, so a run in the Europa again looks more likely.
Whether we do that by dropping into it by finishing 3rd in a CL group or winning (or being 2nd in) an EL group doesn't make too much difference, although I think it would be good for the players to sample the CL after getting to the EL final last season.

Either way, I think anything less than another final appearance in the EL will be a disappointment (to fans and players), so unless we get some good results on the CL group stages(if we get there obviously), I suspect this season will be seen as unsuccessful in Europe.

Because of that, we need to win the league this year (although we should be aiming to win it every year anyway).

I want us to have Champions League football next season because of the added spectacle, and that alone. We have made plenty in transfer fees for Bassey, Aribo and Patterson recently. Sure, the added income is welcome, but that shouldn't be the motivator.
Agree to point. If I was picking ideal scenario get in CL. Get the cash finish 3rd go in EL knock out stages. As last season proved there is at least still genuine hope for us in that tournament of doing something.

Every league game we play this season and win is a step closer to winning the league and automatic qualification for the Champions League group stages next season. If we don’t get through against PSV then surely winning the league becomes more important than the Europa. Especially when if we don’t win the SPFL then they are handed another massive boost to their finances with automatic qualification for a second consecutive season.

I'm reading a lot of folk worried about going out and the upper hand that would supposedly give them financially.

I wouldn't bother about them,they'll be found out big time. Hopefully they won't even make the Europa League.

I wouldn't bother about them,they'll be found out big time. Hopefully they won't even make the Europa League.

Hopefully they do, them having a free run at the second half of the season domestically won’t end well for us if we are still competing in Europe and they’ve got 7 days in between games with little to no travel or disruption.

Biggest one for me is just like last season we wont add proper quality to what we have got and will go cheap again. It also means more likely selling the likes of Morelos and Kent too

Huge game Wednesday

Even if we don’t qualify for the CL (which would be a huge disappointment), a favourable group stage draw in the EL along with a good points tally in the group stage and progression to the knock out rounds will still still see us bring in significant income.

99-A8-D67-E-D6-F2-42-B0-A302-4-D6-C919167-CE.png

On the plus side, the bheasts will be brought down to earth with a bang. It will take a toll on them.

One win away - been there before. I hate all the money stuff, but it's sadly important. Being back in the UCL properly is when we are "Back". It's a psychological hurdle for me too.

Avoiding playing every Sunday too is preferable.

You'd be looking at regularly going into the Sunday league game 3 points behind as they'd be playing Saturday. Would much rather not be in that position.

If we lose this tie we have lost nothing as we never had that money nor did we budget for that money.

We need to win the league title. That is number 1 target.
Agree we want to win league but I understand that even if we are second both will go directly into CL groups next season.
Am I correct?

They will receive €15.64ml for qualification their first home game will be a full house at the theatre of screams gate money around €2.4 ml which they'll lose second home game €1.7ml which they'll lose and their third home game €6.5ml of damage to porkheid plus TV money around €7ml but if we're in €4ml.
Reads like an entry test to mensa

Fair enough around £10m difference in guaranteed income but that doesn't take account that we have a better chance of progressing in the EL rather than the CL with the added revenue from games in the later stages. There is every chance we could finish bottom of a CL group while I'd be confident of Euro football in the new year in the EL. Of course, finish third in the CL and that point becomes irrelevant

Back