The Courier - Derek Johnstone: 1970 League Cup Final winner was the stuff of dreams - plus rare pics

At that time (not as bad as now it must be said) they were winning everything. That Cup Final was a turning point, it changed the attitude of the fans especially the younger bears like myself, it was a massive result a new beginning and helped to eventually end their dominance over us.
A similar outcome this year will also send a whole generation of young fans into a feeling of new belief.

For me it is hard to understand,how any aulder bear could find fault with big DJ,or Super Ally for that matter,never mind the the bullshit,just remember how they made you feel on the supporters bus on the way home all those times.

Very good story from humble but good beginnings, sounds like a typical Rangers story great to hear and be part of that era.
I remember it well and what a goal for a 16 year old to score., legendary stuff.

Was just too young to be at the game. Listened with my Granda on the radio, as my Dad and Brother were there. It was an epic day.

Big DJ was absolutely tremendous at heading a ball - a real underrated, technical skill. A cracking player when he was lean and fit.

How many people can say that they’ve played centre half and centre forward for both Rangers and Scotland. He was a hell of a player and totally deserves his legendary status

Back