The Cox/Tully incident.

Ronnietheranger

After reading Mo_Tx_TruBlu’s excellent (as usual) ‘Eddie Rutherford’ tribute last week in which he mentions the subject, it got me thinking about where I had read about it before & spurred me on to digging into it a little more.

In 1989, BBC sports commentator Archie MacPherson published a book titled ‘Blue & Green, A Personal Look at the Glasgow Derby’. Each chapter addresses a particular match that MacPherson sees as significant for one reason or another. The first chapter in the book, ‘Peace In Our Time’ deals with the league cup match played at Ibrox on August 27th 1949, which is mostly remembered it seems for THAT Cox/Tully incident. Many of the quotes that follow are taken from this book, which I picked up many years ago and where I first heard about this clash.

According to the Glasgow Herald of Monday August 29th, the temperature in Glasgow as the teams took the field at Ibrox 2 days earlier in front of 95,000 supporters was a sizzling 75 degrees, not your average west of Scotland summer’s day! Those old woolen jersey’s worn by the players in those days must have been a real joy to play in that particular Saturday.

The line-ups were as follows:

Rangers

Brown, Young, Shaw, Cox, Woodburn, Rae, Waddell, Findlay, Thornton, Duncanson, Rutherford

Celtic

Miller, Mallan, Baillie, Evans, Boden, McAuley, Collins, McPhail, Johnston, Tully, Haughney

Referee

A.B. Gebbie of Hamilton

The Rangers line-up had a bit of a different look to it that day with the news that Sammy Cox was at right half & not playing in his usual left half role. This put him in direct opposition to Charlie Tully, the Celtic inside left who seemingly had given Ian McColl a torrid time of it in the first match in the east end 2 weeks earlier, which had ended in a surprise 3-2 victory for Celtic. After the days events at Ibrox had unfolded, cynics would suggest that Cox was put there as a ‘deterrent’ to Tully and to try to intimidate the Celtic man. Clearly a reaction of a more innocent time as such a line up change in today’s game for whatever reason would raise few eyebrows. However the real circumstances of the change were much more innocent than the cynics would suggest, as Sammy Cox himself later recalled, ‘An hour before kick off Ian McColl walked into the dressing room wearing a big heavy coat and a muffler round his neck. Remember this was August & the weather was marvelous. He announced he had a terrible cold & wasn’t fit enough to play. He hadn’t even phoned in to warn us about it. We couldn’t believe it. Mr. Struth took one look at me and said “Sam, move over to right half & get Willie Rae out of the stand in your position.” Now we all knew that Willie, realizing earlier he wasn’t going to be playing, had something like a 16 course meal at The Ivy restaurant before the match, so you can imagine he was in a right good condition for it! But it had to be done. That’s how I came to be playing right half that day.’

The Herald’s coverage of the game, was penned by someone known simply as ‘Our Football Correspondent’, but who’s reporting of the game seems tinged with some bias towards the visitors. He reports that ‘Celtic looked much more likely to lead’ and ‘a McGrory type leader would have reveled in the chances supplied’. This despite not giving many examples of these ‘chances supplied’ and the fact that the Celtic keeper Miller had made a ‘magnificent double save from Findlay’. Then, after about 30 minutes came the clash between Cox & Tully, that some claim changed the game.

The Herald refers to the incident as ‘a foul by Cox’ and goes on later to say that ‘There is no doubt at all as to what caused the (crowd) trouble – the foul committed by Cox, Rangers right half-back on Tully, the Celtic inside left, after 30 minutes play and the astonishing attitude of the referee in ignoring the offence & actually waving play on.’ The article then goes on to cite previous crowd violence by Celtic fans at a previous OF game which resulted in their stadium being closed as punitive action by the SFA. It then shamefully ends with this gem, ‘So far as Saturday is concerned neutral members among Scottish football legislators should have no trouble in apportioning the responsibility for the trouble.’ So, it’s not the fault of the drunken louts on the west terracing but the referee, or worse Sammy Cox himself?

In MacPherson’s book, there are several accounts and opinions of the incident. Charlie Tully had unfortunately passed at the time this book was published, however Sammy Cox gave his recollection, ‘I went for the ball & turned, wanting to push it out of the penalty area. I knew Tully was close by me and I was certainly determined not to give him the freedom that Ian McColl had at Celtic Park. But as I kicked it, I felt this sharp dig on my ankle and knew it was Charlie. I turned and kicked him. I admit that. I kicked him just above the shin-guard and said “Don’t do that to me again”. It was a jab with the toe more than anything else and I was surprised to see him rolling around on the ground as if I had booted him in the family jewels. Then I knew the crowd had reacted.’

React they did, bottles came raining down from the back of the west terracing where the Celtic support stood and this led to hordes of fans at the front, many of them young spilling over onto the track. Fights broke out amongst the Celtic support and the police had to wade in and make arrests before restoring order as the players milled around on the park watching it all from a safe distance. The game was held up for about four minutes before resuming it’s run towards half time which saw Willie Findlay find the net for Rangers in the 39th minute, pouncing on a rebounded effort from Eddie Rutherford and giving the Gers the lead at the break.
cont/

The second half of the game was 10 minutes old when Rangers were awarded a penalty, in what the Herald’s Correspondent deemed to be the ‘correct’ decision after Waddell was brought down by Boden. Big George Young managed to hit the crossbar instead of scoring and so it remained at 1-0 until Willie Waddell added Rangers second goal with a low shot which easily beat Miller in goal. The game ended with Rangers victorious and although the League Cup run would end in a 2-1 semi-final defeat at the hands of Scot Symon’s East Fife, the Gers would go on to win the League & Cup double. Two more Old firm games that season saw Rangers hammer Celtic 4-0 at Ibrox in September and draw 1-1 in the Ne’erday match in the east end.

It’s interesting to say the least to look at some accounts of this game from the east enders’ point of view, not surprisingly, they all have the recurring victim mentality theme running through them, Mo quoted this account in the Rutherford thread:

‘The big incident which changed the whole tone of the match occurred in the first half. On about 30 minutes a thru ball was played back to Brown in the Rangers goal. Cox followed the ball back shielding it from Tully who was racing to chase down the ball and challenge for it. Brown gathered the ball and Cox swivelled around and kicked Tully in the stomach. Tully went down in agony a few yards from the Rangers goal line. The police and ambulance men arrived in front of the stand as the crowd spilled over onto the track. '

Here is another with the same ‘kicked in the stomach’ theme:

‘A fortnight later Celtic travelled to Ibrox for what proved to be one of the most controversial Glasgow derbies of that era before a crowd of 95,000. On the half-hour mark, with the score at 0-0, Charlie Tully pursued a pass-back from Rangers’ defender Sammy Cox. Cox successfully shepherded the ball away from Tully back to his ‘keeper Bobby Brown, then turned round – and kicked Tully clean in the stomach. This happened directly in front of the West terracing which housed the Celtic support (where the Broomloan Stand sits today). The fans waited for the penalty award and, probably less likely, a red card for the Rangers defender . . . and waited. While Tully lay collapsed on the ground the game was played on and the referee took no action at all. Furious at the blatant injustice, some Celtic fans started throwing bottles – causing hundreds of other fans to spill onto the pitch. The game was then stopped to allow Tully to be treated by the trainer – and still the referee took no action.’

Are we seeing a pattern here? The blatant injustice of it all. From this last account it’s surprising that the bold Charlie was not airlifted out to the Southern General after he ‘collapsed.’ Interestingly he managed to play on for the entire match, and the only player who emerged from this match with any serious injury was Willie Thornton, who had a broken bone in his foot after a ‘tackle’ by Celtic’s Boden. Thornton’s injury was, ironically the only reason that Willie Waddell found himself leading the Rangers attack as stand in centre forward when he scored the second & decisive goal!

Charlie Tully was by all accounts a skillful and accomplished inside forward. He was also, by the admission of his own teammates, prone to winding people up & embellishment, or should that be called out for what it is, cheating?

Celtic’s John McPhail, who played in that game is quoted here, ‘In a previous game at Celtic Park Charlie was tackled by Woodburn and rolled over and over as if he was dying. Woodburn went for him and I remember thinking, Charlie’s not going to live through this, for Ben had a terrible temper when he got going. But all he did was rush over and stop short and shout at Charlie, “I suppose you’re doing this for something to write about in your column on Monday.” referring to Charlie’s newspaper articles. Charlie started to laugh and when I saw Ben smiling, I knew Charlie was safe.’

Teammate Bobby Collins, ‘And knowing Charlie, I doubt if he was totally blameless. I remember he could easily drive you up the wall’ and, ‘I just don’t think Cox would have kicked him for nothing.’

The fact that Cox kicked Tully is not in dispute, but the circumstances remain clouded. The Herald reports that a few minutes after the first incident, the referee ‘appeared to take the names of both players’ for what he describes as something ‘trivial compared to the first incident.’ Could it be that the referee did indeed see Tully catch Cox initially and also saw Cox’s retaliatory kick and decided to keep the game moving until they clashed again at which time he took action by booking both?

The outcome that particular day was a Rangers victory in controversial circumstances, not the first one & not the last one. On any given previous or future encounter the outcome of the game and the controversy could easily go and many times has gone to the advantage of Celtic. The view from the other side though has never changed. Whilst ignoring the many blatantly wrong decisions they have benefitted from over the years, the victim card is continually rolled out and played, case in point, Scott Brown this past season.

The ensuing SFA inquiry after the crowd trouble in 1949 admitted that the referee had made a mistake in taking no action & reprimanded both players for their involvement. Celtic however, in a pattern that continues to this day, continued to bleat and to press the SFA for a transcript of the inquiry which was never forthcoming. Tully later found himself in trouble again with the SFA for trying to lead the Celtic players off the field in another Old firm game, it’s the Celtic way, ‘always cheated, never defeated.’

They were due to meet again at Ibrox two weeks after that game this time in the league. Robert Kelly the Celtc chairman approached the SFA and demanded that the match be cancelled, the demand was thrown out pronto.
Celtc then told their fans to boycott the game, they did.
95,000 had attended the League Cup match, only 65,000 were in attendance for the league game with the 'Celtc end showing large pockets of empty terracing.

The match programme included this article from Bill Struth.

P3NVdjM.png

Rangers won the match 4-0.

Cox was my old man's PT instructor in the army.The auld yin thought the world of Sammy as a player and a person.Tully called him an "orange bastard as they tussle for the ball.....fact

One of the most read pages in Scottish newspaper history, was The Sunday Post's Jack Harkness.

Jack Harkness wrote 23 paragraphs in his Match Report.
9 of those 23 paragraphs focused on an assumed foul, that went unpunished by the Referee.
Sammy Cox and the Referee were the bad guys.

Harkness failed to mention anything about the police having to swarm into the Celtic end amidst disgusting scenes in the terracing, and the track side.
He did mention the rioting, in one paragraph, making light of the matter, without ever indicating who were the guilty ones,
and I quote
"A section of the crowd lost it's temper. Free fights broke out. Bottles were merrily doing their 'Pennies from Heaven' act."
That's it.

This, despite the fact that eight years earlier, Celtic fans had rioted similarly at Ibrox, and the SFA punished them by closing Parkhead for a month and also barred them from playing any games in Glasgow, during that month.
The Parkhead officials were also ordered to post bills to intimate to their supporters on the re opening of their ground, that it had been closed by order of the Association because of serious misbehaviour at Ibrox on Sept 6 1941, and to warn supporters, that more serious punishment would befall Celtic, if there was a recurrence of such behaviour at any ground.

How classy and dignified was Bill Struth’s Statement? Now compare Mr Struth’s manner with that of the current Sellik manager.
I was thinking the same thing. Also compare Mr Struth’s calm, reasoned statement to their chairman agitating for a postponement and adding fuel to the fire. The difference between being a true leader and being in a position of leadership. As others have said, neither that scum club nor their shameful mhedia cheerleaders have changed. Rotten to the core the lot of them.

There was a whole series of incidents involving the Celtic support at that time culminating in major bottle-throwing during the Ne'erday match at Parkhead in 1952 (Rangers won 4-1).

It was this that led the city magistrates to ask that the SFA impose five sanctions on Celtic. One included a demand that the Irish tricolour be removed from the main stand. Celtic refused to comply and this generated months of friction with the SFA.

I met Sammy Cox in Stratford, Ontario in 1975. He worked with my Uncle Gordon and I was over recuperating from a big op on my leg. My Uncle Stewart made it clear to me that I was in the presence of a Rangers legend and I still have a picture of Stewart and Sammy together. My most vivid memory is how hard he hit the ball when we were having a kick about. Part of our Iron Curtain defence.

They were due to meet again at Ibrox two weeks after that game this time in the league. Robert Kelly the Celtc chairman approached the SFA and demanded that the match be cancelled, the demand was thrown out pronto.
Celtc then told their fans to boycott the game, they did.
95,000 had attended the League Cup match, only 65,000 were in attendance for the league game with the 'Celtc end showing large pockets of empty terracing.

The match programme included this article from Bill Struth.

P3NVdjM.png

Rangers won the match 4-0.
As others have said above, compare & contrast Mr. Struth's statement with the pattern of knee jerk howling & back biting statements that have, throughout their history, emanated from the east end of Glasgow.

As others have said above, compare & contrast Mr. Struth's statement with the pattern of knee jerk howling & back biting statements that have, throughout their history, emanated from the east end of Glasgow.

Yes, and as far back as 70 years ago, you can quite clearly see a compliant media, that wholeheartedly chose to focus and report ridiculously an overbearing amount, on a Rangers player tackling a well known Celtic diver, that a Referee saw nothing wrong with,
whilst all the time refusing to even acknowledge the far more serious issue of rioting, fighting, and bottle throwing from the Filth.

Ian McColl was a good Vale man and a great Rangers captain. over 500 appearances for The Rangers.

575 Appearances for Rangers.
One of a few (not sure if there are indeed any others) who can claim to have won the Scottish Cup in three different decades (1940's, 50's and 60's).
Six months after he won the Scottish Cup in 1960, he was appointed as the National team Manager
(whilst still a Rangers player)
McColl would manage Scotland for 28 games, winning 17 of them, giving him a 60% win percentage,
which is still the greatest win percentage of any Scotland Manager, before or since.
McColl led Scotland to 2 British Championships, and 3 consecutive wins v England (62, 63 and 64).
Despite losing only once in his last 9 games in charge, McColl was mysteriously sacked 10 days before a World Cup Qualifier in May 1965.

My old boy always said Ian McColl had brilliant ball control but that his passing would somtimes let him down.
A great servant to the club.

Back in 1976 when the club won its third Treble Rangers arranged a match at half-time between the 1949 and 1964 sides. The player who looked most impressive to me despite the age gap was Ian McColl - precisely because of his passing.

After playing for Rangers, Ian McColl took charge of Scotland.

The thing that always impressed me was that he had another career outside football (a bit like Ian McMillan) - he was a graduate in civil engineering.

I had the honour of meeting him shortly before his death. Although ill, he appeared at a RST function in the Wee Rangers Club along with his wife.

30hvlnp.jpg

Sammy Cox in action against c****c at Ibrox on what looks like it could be a very warm afternoon in 1949. Is it Tully, in that game or another tim player? It's at the west end of the ground so, could it be the moment that Sammy felt the 'sharp dig' on his ankle? This was posted a while ago in the Classic picture thread - can anybody shed any light on it?

30hvlnp.jpg

Sammy Cox in action against c****c at Ibrox on what looks like it could be a very warm afternoon in 1949. Is it Tully, in that game or another tim player? It's at the west end of the ground so, could it be the moment that Sammy felt the 'sharp dig' on his ankle? This was posted a while ago in the Classic picture thread - can anybody shed any light on it?
It not Tully, maybe some otherTIMMmmm

Back in 1976 when the club won its third Treble Rangers arranged a match at half-time between the 1949 and 1964 sides. The player who looked most impressive to me despite the age gap was Ian McColl - precisely because of his passing.

The thing that always impressed me was that he had another career outside football (a bit like Ian McMillan) - he was a graduate in civil engineering.

I had the honour of meeting him shortly before his death. Although ill, he appeared at a RST function in the Wee Rangers Club along with his wife.

I was at that game v Dundee Utd.

As regards Ian McColl's passing of a football, a half-time knock about between 45 & 55 year olds is hardly the place to pass (excuse the pun) judgement on a players ability or lack of two decades previously.

I was at that game v Dundee Utd.

As regards Ian McColl's passing of a football, a half-time knock about between 45 & 55 year olds is hardly the place to pass (excuse the pun) judgement on a players ability or lack of two decades previously.

I didn't envisage Jock Wallace giving him a game. Sorry for mentioning it.

Three clear issues remain the same today as yesterday - the mentally challengeds doing everything in their power to gain an advantage through cheating (Cox/Tully; Brown/Morelos), and part of the media compliance in distorting facts to suit their religious agenda-fuelled bigotry - downplaying the poets bottle-throwing or trying to ignore Scotland's biggest ever kid's tragedy. The third element is the mentally challenged's bleatin' to all insundry that it 'wasnae oor fault' and threatening to walk off the pitch. The Cameroon wummin's fitba team must have been coached by a mentally challenged!

My old boy always said Ian McColl had brilliant ball control but that his passing would somtimes let him down.
A great servant to the club.

I'm curious as to how many of Ian McColl's 600 games for Rangers and Scotland, your Old Boy watched, to make such a sweeping statement.

575 Appearances for Rangers.
One of a few (not sure if there are indeed any others) who can claim to have won the Scottish Cup in three different decades (1940's, 50's and 60's).
Six months after he won the Scottish Cup in 1960, he was appointed as the National team Manager
(whilst still a Rangers player)
McColl would manage Scotland for 28 games, winning 17 of them, giving him a 60% win percentage,
which is still the greatest win percentage of any Scotland Manager, before or since.
McColl led Scotland to 2 British Championships, and 3 consecutive wins v England (62, 63 and 64).
Despite losing only once in his last 9 games in charge, McColl was mysteriously sacked 10 days before a World Cup Qualifier in May 1965.

And there's two words for that %age rate. Jim Baxter. Oh, and lest we forget, a great Rangers team.

The three consecutive victories over in England in 62,63 and 64 constituted the only time it happened in the 20th century.

Four Rangers in each of the three games. Baxter being the only one to play in all three.

I'm curious as to how many of Ian McColl's 600 games for Rangers and Scotland, your Old Boy watched, to make such a sweeping statement.
I saw Ian McColl play many times for Rangers and certainly don’t recall any obvious deficiencies in his play. Recall him playing right at the end of his career in the cup final of 1960 against a good Kilmarnock team. Jimmy Millar was the hero scoring both goals in a 2-0 victory but playing in a mainly defensive role, Ian McColl was outstanding.

And there's two words for that %age rate. Jim Baxter. Oh, and lest we forget, a great Rangers team.

The three consecutive victories over in England in 62,63 and 64 constituted the only time it happened in the 20th century.

Four Rangers in each of the three games. Baxter being the only one to play in all three.

Davy Wilson played in all three games as well, and a pretty significant part in all three victories,
scoring the opener in the first game, playing Left Back in place of Caldow in the second, and delivering the cross for Gilzean to head the winner in the third.

30hvlnp.jpg

It could be the match on 24th September 1949 at Ibrox which we won 4-0. The player in question may be William Rennet-if it is then it was his debut! Really hard to tell though.

There was a whole series of incidents involving the Celtic support at that time culminating in major bottle-throwing during the Ne'erday match at Parkhead in 1952 (Rangers won 4-1).

It was this that led the city magistrates to ask that the SFA impose five sanctions on Celtic. One included a demand that the Irish tricolour be removed from the main stand. Celtic refused to comply and this generated months of friction with the SFA.
Was the actual incident not against Third Lanark? The bench tried to take shelter from the bottles, and missiles, and were attacked by crowd members? I'm sure I read that was specifically the trigger for the Five Articles.

Thanks Deedle.

Ian was a surveyor, yes ?

Was the actual incident not against Third Lanark? The bench tried to take shelter from the bottles, and missiles, and were attacked by crowd members? I'm sure I read that was specifically the trigger for the Five Articles.

Their support invaded the pitch in a match against Third Lanark previously, but the Ne'erday game in 1952 was the reason the magistrates acted.

He worked for a civil engineering company when with Rangers and took it up again after he gave up management. His obituaries state that at one stage he became a coal merchant and latterly ran a guest-house. He lived not far from Auchenhowie.

My dad worked with him for quite a number of years Deedle. They met in a Paint Company where Ian was the Surveyor.

Davy Wilson played in all three games as well, and a pretty significant part in all three victories,
scoring the opener in the first game, playing Left Back in place of Caldow in the second, and delivering the cross for Gilzean to head the winner in the third.

Yup, missed that one.

Caldow started two
Henderson as well I'd imagine and Alex Scott one time and Greig.

It could be the match on 24th September 1949 at Ibrox which we won 4-0. The player in question may be William Rennet-if it is then it was his debut! Really hard to tell though.
10o4b50.jpg

I think you could be right. The picture here looks like it's similar weather conditions to the one above. It shows Billy Williamson being lunged at by Boden of c****c. Billy did not play in the August match but did play in September scoring one of our four goals that day.

10o4b50.jpg

I think you could be right. The picture here looks like it's similar weather conditions to the one above. It shows Billy Williamson being lunged at by Boden of c****c. Billy did not play in the August match but did play in September scoring one of our four goals that day.

Yeah I think you’ve nailed it! That’s a cracking picture by the way. Any thoughts on the other two players in that picture?!

Back