The current squad

I’m not looking to go through the list of the current squad and say who stays and who goes. I’m trying to think very positively on our current situation and say this:
Only a few weeks ago, many of us went into the OF game at Ibrox truly believing we could beat Celtic, including the players. Unfortunately we didn’t, it was a real painful one to take and the players haven’t recovered. This has been reflected in the performances since then ( not just OF games).
Whether we like it or not the majority of that squad will still be there come the 1st game of next season. We need this squad of players mentally ready to stand up and challenge celtic, Aberdeen, hibs etc like teams of old. We need someone who will come in and demand better, motivate better and coach better. These players are not as bad as they have made themselves look in the last 2 months, we were top scorers in league until yesterday! Bad players, particularly attackers do not hit top of scoring charts, top of away league form.... personally Murty is to blame for the 3 points I mention above, I see no serious demands from him, little motivation and tactically inept. Prior to him we had Pedro who was even worse.
Yet it was only 6 games ago that we were sure we were 1 win away from putting pressure on the “amazing” team that is Celtic!
Whoever comes in as manager needs to correct these items as a priority, sign 3-4 quality players through spine of team, develop the undoubted young talent that has suffered under the recent management and bring in 1-2 long term loan players.
Celtic are not as good as everybody is making them out and we are not as bad as everyone (including ourselves) make them out.
We have been let down so often but this can be turned around!

If we think we’re shit, say we’re shit, tell the players they’re shit, tell the board they’re shit and happily accept everyone telling us we’re shit then that is the exact outcome we’ll get... Celtic fans would have said the same the day after we beat them in SF couple year ago and happily offloaded that team yet very few of them left, they brought in someone with far higher professional standards than anyone could match in Scotland, threw a few quality players in the mix and they’re now “world beaters”... we are not close to that, and who’d expect us to be following our road to recovery but this can be turned round

We are not in the best of places right now - but take a positive in that we have had some good performances and the Ibrox match showed that (when we turn up) we are not the "light years" behind them that they would have us believe.
But - and a big one, we need to get the close season signings correct to improve and build next season and get in a position for a serious challenge in 2019/20 - how do we do that with limited resources, thats the importance of the next appointments stature in the game - one that can bring class (experienced and developing) to the mix - here is hoping that if it is Steven Gerard or other they can tick the box !!!

Back