The Daily Mail story which says Lewis Ferguson is wanted by two European clubs but doesn't name them?

I think Lewis Ferguson gives us another option in central midfield, good box to box & taking set pieces.

Really can't be annoyed with all the noise that comes with negotiating with Scottish clubs, though.

£2m max I'd be all over it, at the kind of numbers dolly will want, I can't see it.

No shortage of baseless rumours about almost every club's top players. Can almost see why we are biding our time to some extent, as lots of clubs are wanting to cash in on their assets right now and that may lead to a stronger negotiating position late in the window.

All fine and dandy until you remember we're mere weeks away from the CL qualifiers.

If he wasn’t Derek’s boy, and Barry’s nephew, he wouldn’t even be getting a mention.

He’s nowhere near good enough for Rangers.

For £2 million we could bring in much, much better.
I’ll be shocked if we have £2m to spend on him (or anyone) to be honest.

If he's available for 2m we should go for him however if we've a limited budget now isn't the time. He's not a priority.

It's all well and good saying 2m could be better spent elsewhere maybe so but we NEED Scottish players, it's as simple as that we can't submit a full squad in Europe without Scots.

The depressing thing is there aren't many options so if not Lewis Ferguson then who? Theres a reason English players cost the top English clubs alot of money. Do you think Man City spent 100m on Grealish because there wasn't a better player out there for a lesser price?

I think he'd be on a hiding to nothing if he came here.

Footballing wise, he'd constantly be compared to his da and uncle

Off the park, the manager wouldn't be able to fart in the dressing room without it getting back to his da and uncle and it being in the papers the next day.

He's not a bad player. He's just not good enough for the hassle.
Some important considerations. I actually don’t believe the later. He’s a different player to his da and uncle also.

I think for his age he’s done brilliant so far, he needs to now get out that hellhole before his career is wasted.

I think with us he could push on another few levels. He would be very handy domestically at the very least.

I'm always on the fence about him.
He's nothing to write home about now, but I do feel would improve in our squad - and ultimately do a job against SPFL dross.

That said, there is plenty of bodies already in midfield that I don't see him getting ahead of or improving on and the Sheep want way too much money for what would essentially be a squad filler signing.

We have literally just bid roughly that for a 3rd choice striker.
With the cash from young Wilson and big Cedric, which is fair. Given last season we should reasonably expect a kitty of up to £10m? We were told by the board (it’s public record) that all player sales would be reinvested in the team - Patterson money and Gerrard compensation has not been spent. So personally I have my doubts.

I don’t get the clamour for this guy. Surely we should be aiming higher than a striker who gets 8 or 9 goals a season? I’d be disappointed if this is the level we’re aiming at.

He’s a midfielder.

One that Goodwin actually deployed defensively.

Glass had him playing more like an AM, but Goodwin felt the game passed him by there.

If he wasn’t Derek’s boy, and Barry’s nephew, he wouldn’t even be getting a mention.
He’s nowhere near good enough for Rangers.

For £2 million we could bring in much, much better.
I’d argue that if he weren’t Derek’s boy and Barry’s nephew we’d be demanding his signing as a good Scottish player!

Ferguson I very much doubt would make it with us he’s not talented enough.

For 2 million he would probably be worth the risk but if anyone thinks Aberdeen are selling us him for 2 million they need a shrink.

I'd have him here; if he did well the fans here would love him. We could sign him, and the rest is up to him.
Can you imagine his tackles and greeting face in Europe, even in Scotland would he get away with it in a Rangers top? He’d spend more time in the stand than on the park.

Can you imagine his tackles and greeting face in Europe, even in Scotland would he get away with it in a Rangers top? He’d spend more time in the stand than on the park.
As I said, the rest would be upmto him. Jack struggled to adapt to Rangers at first, I'm convinced Ferguson has something about him that he would give his all, in all aspects of his game. That's only my opinion, which no one except me should take that seriously, but if ever a potential signing is staring this club in the face then it's him.

I'm not sure I'd be happy to see us pay £2m on him but I'd be interested to see what a competent coaching setup could get out of him.

We also need Scottish players for Europe.

While I don't see us signing him I'm ultimately not dead against it but I wouldn't be particularly excited about it either.

It is a difficult one.
I like him as a player, he has a physicality that suits Scottish football and he can score a goal.
One lesson from Ryan Jack was that you don't get away with the same physical approach in a blue shirt as you do for Aberdeen.
It took a while to change Ryan's game to teach him to stand up and not dive in.
It would be the same for young Ferguson.
Could he make the step up?
Who knows but it wouldn't be an expensive gamble and the lad is tuned into the club, always a good start.
I think Ryan Jack was being penalised for tackles that were fair, like the one where he played the ball and was sent off for the follow through. He went through a period where he was getting booked or sent off almost every other week for next to nothing. We know Ryan Jack isn't in any way a dirty player, can you imagine Ferguson playing for us? He would maybe be ok in the SPFL if able to tone his game down, but would be out his depth in Europe. Nothing I have posted is anything to do with his uncle, or dad as they were both on a different planet to LF.

I've heard he is desperate to sign for Rangers.
He would do well in the SPFL. His game might not be suited to Europe.
There is no way as suggested in one of the links he would be a replacement for Aribo. Different type of player and a class below.

I honestly think the disdain for this lad is more about his family connections than his ability.

I've been pretty clear that I've never wanted us to sign him, Tazza, even back in his Hamilton days. I don't think he's good enough.

But I do accept that it's based on guesswork in the main like any signing we make.

I don't think we'll ever be given an answer as we just won't sign him.

I’d argue that if he weren’t Derek’s boy and Barry’s nephew we’d be demanding his signing as a good Scottish player!

I respectfully disagree, mate.

I’ve made a point of watching the boy on a few occasions, both against us and the SPFL shite, and I just haven’t seen anything that suggests he’s good enough to make the step up.

Aberdeen would be hellish to deal with for a start.

He would be suspended more often than not.

He doesn’t chip in with assists.

He’s not really a stand out as a ball carrier, a passer or a spoiler.

He’s an excellent penalty taker, and dangerous at set pieces, but that’s honestly it for me.

Just my opinion, bud.

I've been pretty clear that I've never wanted us to sign him, Tazza, even back in his Hamilton days. I don't think he's good enough.

But I do accept that it's based on guesswork in the main like any signing we make.

I don't think we'll ever be given an answer as we just won't sign him.
I’ve never been 100% on the lad either, to be honest.
It’s just the reasons offered that get to me.
For example, even as a sheep player, Clarke doesn’t pick him for Scotland.
Okay, we all mock Clarke.
Also, he plays for one of the worst sheep sides in memory.
Again, this in itself, doesn’t make him a bad player but, as a midfielder, should he not be more of an influence?
Thins brings me to his goals.
I can’t dismiss his goals from penalties but, I’d still want more from my midfield, more than our current group too, so I’m asking “can he get more for us against the tighter defences we face”?
More?
Will he get the same leeway from Clancy and friends that he gets at the sheep?
Okay, one more.
The Ferguson factor.
It’s been posted, and those who posted it are correct, he’d be under a lot of pressure, immediate pressure, from the fans for both performances and, if something goes wrong, his assumed and unjustified personality.

I respectfully disagree, mate.

I’ve made a point of watching the boy on a few occasions, both against us and the SPFL shite, and I just haven’t seen anything that suggests he’s good enough to make the step up.

He would be suspended more often than not.

He doesn’t chip in with assists.

He’s not really a stand out as a ball carrier, a passer or a spoiler.

He’s an excellent penalty taker, and dangerous at set pieces, but that’s honestly it for me.

Just my opinion, bud.
I should have just liked this before I typed my last post there!

I'm not sure they necessarily would be. As much as the fans hate each other, since their owners have changed relations between us and clubs like the sheepshaggers and Hibs seem to have relaxed and deals have been done between the clubs that have appeared to be quite amicable. As annoying as it has having to deal with clubs like them it's probably the right way forward for us as we don't want to potentially miss out on a player in future purely because our respective boards (although more them than us) can't behave reasonably.

I honestly think the disdain for this lad is more about his family connections than his ability.
Honestly, I loved Barry Ferguson as a player. I don’t really think about him past his playing career. I was a bit young when his Dad played played for us so there’s no “disdain”.

We have better players and he’s average. That’s it.

I've heard he is desperate to sign for Rangers.
He would do well in the SPFL. His game might not be suited to Europe.
There is no way as suggested in one of the links he would be a replacement for Aribo. Different type of player and a class below.
He could fill in for Jack when Jack is injured I suppose.

Back