The Damned United

I haven’t seen it for a while.

Great movie and possibly my favourite sports related film never mind just football!

Anyone who can play Kenneth Williams, Tony Blair, David Frost and Brian Clough - convincingly - must be good.

Stephen Graham as Billy Bremner, though - not so much!
Watched a few of the interviews after seeing the frost nixon film was uncanny

It’s a brilliant film, downloaded it years ago when it came out, have watched it several times.

Sheen is fantastic.

I seem to remember Clough's family saying there are inaccuracies to say the least about his relationship with Taylor.
Still a great watch. Just treat with a pinch of salt

A wee head's up regarding this lads, the snooker is on before it and the wee presenter on beeb 2 said it is switching over to beeb 4 at 8pm where they will follow this session to a conclusion, so might be a bit late starting.

Great movie.

Given the Clough era was before my time and my limited knowledge of him, his teams and the public perception of him and his teams.....
can anyone comment whether the movie is reflective of reality or is it overly dramatised?

Yes good film, but did the Clough family not take kindly to it though?

They took against the book (and by extension the film) because its fiction trading as fact and has been rubbished by many of those who knew Clough and some of those who are featured in it like the Leeds team. Johnny Giles successfully sued the publishers due to his portrayal whilst Dave McKay successfully sued the film makers for the same reason.

Great movie.

Given the Clough era was before my time and my limited knowledge of him, his teams and the public perception of him and his teams.....
can anyone comment whether the movie is reflective of reality or is it overly dramatised?
I'd say it's fairly accurate, yet underplays his dependency and fondness of alcohol.

Great film, but the book is the best football book I've read and I've read hundreds.
Amazing that both Clough and the guy who 'knew' both lasted 44 days at Leeds.

Around 15% fact and 85% fiction. Several former players won a few bob in out of court settlements with Johnny Giles being particularly scathing on its representation of the truth.

For those who haven’t seen it or those who want to see it again, it’s on tonight 9pm on BBC 4.

Brilliant film.
My uncle was at Derby when Clough first arrived. Didn’t have too many good things to say about him I recall. You can’t deny though he became a very special Manager at two unfashionable clubs.

The stadium used is the old Chesterfield fc saltergate ground .Now demolished .
This was the old ground in 1952, in use from 1871.

VxJMGHb.png

It is a good film to watch, but there are some blatant inaccuracies. The biggest being Clough's last league game in charge of Leeds at Elland Road vs my team Luton.

I was there that day to see us DRAW 1-1...........yet the film has it as a 0-1 Luton WIN. Wished it was true, but sadly it's not.

This is the first one after the interval, so another 4 I reckon?

Not sure why the advertised a film at 9, not a chance of the snooker being finished in time!
Yeah think it might be 8 frames a session looking at some of the other matches. Don't think Damned United will be on tonight if still 3 frames to go.

Back