The Damned United

This snooker match is like watching Thorburn v Griffiths at the 1983 World Championship..can't see TDU been shown tonight.

Love this track from the OST. Stuck in my head for days when I first watched the film.

Always remember Forest winning the League Cup in the late 80s and Clough running up the tunnel before the trophy presentation. Think he said something about his job was done and it was right to let the players take the credit. Anyway, one of those figures from my childhood who seemed like they’d always be there. Great film, great man.

They took against the book (and by extension the film) because its fiction trading as fact and has been rubbished by many of those who knew Clough and some of those who are featured in it like the Leeds team. Johnny Giles successfully sued the publishers due to his portrayal whilst Dave McKay successfully sued the film makers for the same reason.
Giles also stated that had the 3 principle people involved - Clough, Revie and Bremner - been alive the book would never have been written, Sheen was brilliant but as stated earlier both book and film, although decent entertainment, should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yes, Michael Sheen gave a superb performance as Brian Clough but Colm Meaney as Don Revie was excellent too. He was more like Don Revie than Don Revie himself. The part of the film where the interview for Yorkshire Television between the Presenter and Clough, and then Revie arrives to join the interview (unbeknown to Clough) is brilliant and apparently just how it happened too.

Barry from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet was excellent as Peter Taylor too. The chap who played the Derby chairman was also brilliant. That wee rhat Compston played the role of either John McGovern or John O'Hare. I could be wrong but im sure Johnny Giles sued the film for the way he was portrayed in it?

Did it end up coming on after the snooker? I ended up just streaming it. One negative for me is Stephen Graham’s attempt at a Scottish accent! Chronic.

One of the few movies I prefer to the book.
Clough comes across as a nasty character in the book, and it’s a very bleak read at times. The film is a far more affectionate portrait, although doesn’t paint him as an angel.

Barry from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet was excellent as Peter Taylor too. The chap who played the Derby chairman was also brilliant. That wee rhat Compston played the role of either John McGovern or John O'Hare. I could be wrong but im sure Johnny Giles sued the film for the way he was portrayed in it?

I think the Clough family did as well.

In fact I think a few of the surviving players and families of the deceased did.

A brilliant film but a few factual errors in it.

The tie against Leeds shows Derby being so badly fouled by the Leeds players they have to field reserves against Juventus. While Derby did suffer some injuries in the tie against Leeds that year, it actually came before their quarter-final match against Spartak Trnava, which Derby still won despite missing some key players. Moreover, the injuries were not as serious as implied in the film, and all the injured players had recovered by the time of the eventual 3-1 defeat by Juventus which was with a near full-strength Derby squad minus two players who were suspended.

It is also implied in the film that Brian Clough never managed Brighton & Hove Albion, but he did manage the club alongside Peter Taylor for most of the 1973-4 season. The team finished 19th this season.

As I said though, brilliany film.

Back