The Decline of Bayern Munich

prenzlauerbear

If your hefeweizen is half full you would say that only in Bayern's world would a team winning the league for the 10th time in a row could somehow be looked upon as a big disappointment. But it kinda is. Often looked upon as the example of how a football club should be run, but they're so far off the likes of City and Liverpool right now.

Losing 5-0 in the cup to Gladbach; knocked out in Europe by Villareal. The team literally taking a couple of days off to party in Ibiza despite this. Qatar shambles. Lewandowski has been confirmed to leave, and Kimmich, who had his own media circus with the vaccination scandal, might be on his way out, too. Playing squad is a mess.

Huge problems for the club. But hey, they have a new CEO in Oli Kahn!

Do they have a replacement for Lewandowski lined up?

No mate. Impossible to replace. Names in the German press veer from Haller to Ronaldo...

Lewandowski, Thiago, Sule, Perisic etc. So many good players from that famous 8-2 Barca game have moved on now/will move on.

The current team has reached its peaked and on its natural decline.

They’ve started to ship players that aren’t doing it or injury prone like Sule and are now looking for replacements.

They’ve opened talks with Dembele, interested in Mane and have some great youth players starting to break through.

lol, German clubs will never be state owned or the playthings of Americans who don't understand football - Bayern are in a great position even if the 50+1 rule means the woke can cause a bit of trouble at times.

Strange situation these days in Germany, victim of their own tradition at times - scrapping Monday Night Football was brilliant Fanscene wise but it has cost money regarding tv deals etc... A few Clubs have ducked 50 plus 1 as well, RB being the finest example. BVB seem content to be a bit of a feeder Club and RB are a bit similar, the latter never seem to buy any proven players who would push them closer to Bayern. I would make Bayern 8/11 to win the next 5 Bundesligas myself. Clubs like Schalke could do with some money being invested in them to go closer to Bayern long term but that won't happen.

Things comes in cycles.. ac milan etc have had there day n will be yrs before they get to the top of the European scene..

Strange situation these days in Germany, victim of their own tradition at times - scrapping Monday Night Football was brilliant Fanscene wise but it has cost money regarding tv deals etc... A few Clubs have ducked 50 plus 1 as well, RB being the finest example. BVB seem content to be a bit of a feeder Club and RB are a bit similar, the latter never seem to buy any proven players who would push them closer to Bayern. I would make Bayern 8/11 to win the next 5 Bundesligas myself. Clubs like Schalke could do with some money being invested in them to go closer to Bayern long term but that won't happen.

Bundesliga is as bad as I can remember it in terms of overall quality tbh mate. Never been near the EPL that way but at the point Ligue 1 doesn't seem that much worse rn.

Conversely, you see games that you won't ever see in any other league because of the defending.

BVB look to have at least realised they need to sign some defenders and imo could give Bayern a run for their money next season. Kicker do a thing where the pros vote for the best player in the league every season, and this year, Schlotterbeck came out on top. He looks genuinely world class. Him with Sule next season will make them a different animal.

Nothing lasts forever in football. Fortunately for them, their decline hasn't coincided with the rise of another team this season. Dortmund are 2nd but are regarded to have had a very poor season too, and they’love just lost Haaland! 11 in a row on the cards I think.

They are against the super club movement though. Them and BVB fall out refused to be drawn into the super league talks.
For decades they were one of the loudest voices in lobbying for more power to the elite clubs. They're only against the super league because they are obliged to be against it by their league.

Bundesliga is as bad as I can remember it in terms of overall quality tbh mate. Never been near the EPL that way but at the point Ligue 1 doesn't seem that much worse rn.

Conversely, you see games that you won't ever see in any other league because of the defending.

BVB look to have at least realised they need to sign some defenders and imo could give Bayern a run for their money next season. Kicker do a thing where the pros vote for the best player in the league every season, and this year, Schlotterbeck came out on top. He looks genuinely world class. Him with Sule next season will make them a different animal.
That's how I see it mate, last 5 years it's rapidly gone backwards - the last 10 years I have seen so many matches that are full of goals mainly because of the bad defending. Hasenhuttl was the man who sussed that out I thought with how he set up Ingolstadt when they went up, just kept it tight and stayed up well.

I saw that about Sule last week, went under the radar a bit that one.

Bayern are due a downturn. They've gone through similar before in the past. Talk of a decline there is a bit premature though imo. At a club like Bayern you're only ever one or two transfer windows away from reasserting yourself. I don't foresee circumstances that would mean they are struggling in the BuLi in the long term, but maybe they'll not win the CL for a bit. That's as bad as it could get really.

The Bundesliga cant compete with the EPL but then again who can really. Every other league in Europe is currently in their shadow. As for Lewandowski ? He's in his 30's now so will be looking for his last big pay day before he chucks it. Good to see some of the big Clubs coming back up from the 2nd league as they were missed . Im still a fan of German football always pretty open matches with plenty of goals and big crowds. Clubs not scared to give their own a chance which helps their national team. Bayern will be back but they wont throw billions at it like some others and rightly so IMO .

Bayern were against the riches of the EPL as they know they can't compete with the EPL big guns ......

but it doesn't seem to bother them in the Bundesliga

Life is a cycle, football is no different.

Was about to say this. Football comes and goes in cycles, sometimes much quicker than you think.

Celtic expected to waltz to 10-15 in a row.

I remember after Germany won the 2014 WC, they played the confederations cup a while after that with basically their under 21s and scooshed it. Looked as if they’d go on and dominate world football for years…been atrocious ever since!

Teams like Bayern / Juve etc will always bounce back though.

Fancy Red Bull for the league next season. Think I'm right in saying they'd have won the league last season had it started when tadesco(?) came in.

They've made massive progress and won't slow down next season.

Certainly the last few years has been the worst German team I can remember.

I never thought Gernany would have a team that could achieve 10 in a row, it really shouldn't happen with the size of clubs they have.

When you see a club like Hamburg, not just being relegated, but with no sign of improvement along with what's happened with kaiserslautern, then somethings went wrong.

Think people knew he was off but it's still a shocker to come out with that publicly. So many good players leaving for free or peanuts: Alaba, Kroos, Thiago, Sule. Now a bonafide club legend saying he wants to go. A mess.

Fancy Red Bull for the league next season. Think I'm right in saying they'd have won the league last season had it started when tadesco(?) came in.

They've made massive progress and won't slow down next season.
They'll be losing Nkunku and Laimer, possibly Gvardiol.

Back