The Derry/ Centenary Stand

No, The Derry was the corner of what is now the SJ Stand. The singing started from there a bit like the UB now.
Been going from the late 60's and the Derry was the section of covered terracing opposite the Main Stand ( now the SJ stand) from where the entrance/exit to the back of the terracing and down to the toilets was to the end of the overhead covering.
Probably between stairways 10 - 12 in the old layout.

The Derry End was the Copland originally.

In the auld days you could walk round to switch ends.

In the old days before Ibrox was redeveloped or the shed renamed as the Centenary Stand, The Derry was the old shed and chiefly in the top right of it as viewed from the Main Stand side. It was thus named because back in the 60's that was where the Derry stood and where the singing usually started. The Copland Road end was always referred to as the 'Rangers end' and the Broomloan Road terracing was referred to by us (and I do mean us) as the 'Celtic end'. Their supporters applied the same criteria in reverse when referring to the various ends at Parkhead. The same practice was used in referring to the ends at Hampden.

The Derry was the side of the covered section opposite the main stand beside the Copland end.
The Centenary stand changed the dynamic of the atmosphere IMO

A lot of the punters who stood there shifted to the centre of the cover at the old Copland Road terracing. After that was redeveloped into a Stand they then moved onto the old enclosure nearest to that end.

Maybe one for the slightly older bears

I was only in it once with school pals when I was 13/14 ( I'm 55 now )

And actually only because I was down the front of the rangers end and a bit of trouble started behind us ( can't mind who we were playing ,definitely wasn't the gypsies tho ) ,the stewards moved some of us youngsters over to the centenary stand because of this

actually to have a seat if you wanted it and to look across at the full view of the main stand was just amazing and is one of my best memories of Ibrox

I've seen aerial pictures and some from taken across from it during matches etc

Just wondered if anyone has pictures showing the inside or outside the stand from those times
My first match was in there. My Dad thought the Copland would have been too rough for me. During the game there was fighting in the Copland between Rangers fans!

Always thought it was the end of the Govan start of the Copland. Where the Ibrox Suite is now ?
It was indeed, at the end of the Govan, but stopped where the covering ended.
Not as far as the corner, at the Ibrox suite. Terracing was open to walk round then, 50s,60s, until Centenary stand 73.
A definite. No doubt.

Last edited:
The Derry was the singing section. When I started going to Ibrox it was between the halfway line and the Copland end, always referred to as the Rangers end, in the Shed. When the Centenary Stand was built the Derry moved to the middle of the cover of the Rangers end.
I remember a game around Christmas time when the Club gave out free tickets for the Centenary stand. It was busy for the first half, but at half time the Derry regulars assembled in their usual spot for a second half sash bash.
This is the correct answer to where the Derry was. I was a regular under the cover before the Copeland end was covered and before the Centenery Stand was fitted out. I also often stood over at the Broomloan end as this was nearest the Ibrox Station.

The Derry End was the Copland originally.

In the auld days you could walk round to switch ends.
Yes I used to change ends at half time in every game just to see the goals hit the back of the net. If it was a very wet day I’d sit in the luxury of the Centenary Stand. Great days and some fantastic memories. :))

You Sir are correct.
Derry was the singing section top right of covered area that was then seated '72 Centenary stand. It was soon given another nickname the 'Cemetary stand'. When younger we stopped going there as young teens from different areas sometimes on lookout for rivals - being dug up was a possibility. I've posted before about the fun and games there could be round about Guy Fawkes!:))

Last edited:
The Derry Shed was the terracing across from the Main Stand, the Rangers End was behind the goal.

My only disappointment when we beat Bayern at Ibrox 72 was that the Rangers End, where I was, were singing different songs from the Derry!

Once the Derry became the Centenary Stand, the bambottery moved behind the goal. There used to be the occasional fight that would break out and fans not involved would back away leaving the gap in the crowd. After a couple of minutes as things calmed down, there was always one drunk fan who'd wander into the centre of the space singing The Sash/Billy Boys and within seconds, peace, brotherhood and harmony would be restored.

For the sheer awesomeness of the Rangers End, the first goal in the Old Firm game in January 75 shows it all.
Great old days!

Happy Days!
:))

I loved the centenary stand but I suppose I was still young and it was the place to go when I started going .

I loved the centenary stand but I suppose I was still young and it was the place to go when I started going .
If memory serves me - I think you paid into the Rangers End and then walked around and there was a gate at the back/top of the Stand and you paid a £1 to transfer in.

The Derry End is what's now the Copland. The Centenary Stand is where the Govan is now.

Before the Derry End was covered and became more popular apparently the most lively bit of the ground was at the corner between the two and was known as "Hellfire Corner" :))
The Derry was the top right hand corner of the shed area (ie what is now the Govan Stand).

I still have a wry smile when I think of The Centenary Stand. A terracing with some planks of wood formed into benches :))
They took away the best standing view in the Stadium, planted some planks of wood on blocks and charged you an extra £1 to get in.

The Derry was the area nearest the Copland under the cover where the Govan Stand is now, obviously before the centenary stand was built.

Should have read post 77 first‍♂️

If memory serves me - I think you paid into the Rangers End and then walked around and there was a gate at the back/top of the Stand and you paid a £1 to transfer in.
Don’t think the Rangers end was there at the time I was going myself .
Remember the lillestrom game mid week and missed our only goal which was scored in the early minutes .

The Derry i always thought that was the old Rangers end​

Then you are wrong brother - The Derry was under the north terrace - which later became the the centenery stand.
In days of yore was named the bovril shed prior to being extended, to be come the Derry - where I stood from the mid sixties until 1972.

Been going from the late 60's and the Derry was the section of covered terracing opposite the Main Stand ( now the SJ stand) from where the entrance/exit to the back of the terracing and down to the toilets was to the end of the overhead covering.
Probably between stairways 10 - 12 in the old layout.
Spot on

I have this memory of being in The Derry at a game when we Scored in the first minute then struggled to win 1-0…..late 60s

First time at Ibrox, had just turned 15, me & mate got train from Dundee to see the Rangers
v Hibs, 1-1, Scottish Cup 1973. Got off at Ibrox, couldn't believe the size of the crowds, were told
gates had shut, thousands trying to get in, about 20 of us doubled back took the railway line that
ran behind the Shed, climbed up the embankment ( where the away support area is now ) half of us
made it up a drainpipe, must have been a good 25 ft climb, luckily the ground side was half the jump. Managed to fight our way into the crowd, think around 65,000 at the match, great times and memories.

Got to say
I’m delighted to see all the different replies to this post , first time I’ve actually posted anything on here , although I have been viewing the site for a few years to see about the latest rumours / signings/ developments etc

Anyway for me the terracing across from the main stand was called “The Derry “ at some point

gn14.png

Yeah, I know - that is where is was - then as things developed and it got seated the whole area behind the goal became known as The Derry End.
Not as I recall, the Rangers End remained just that after the Derry Shed became seated. And for what it's worth, the opposite end of the stadium was always known as the Celtic End, as much as that might surprise some younger fans.

The Derry was the centre rear of the Copland stand (all standing).
What is now the Govan Stand had been all standing too but was fitted with bench seating and became known as the Centenary Stand, and opened in time for 1973, season and marked with a pre-season tournament involving Rangers, Hearts, West Brom and Southamton (to the best of my memory).

Last edited:

In those days you could transfer into many areas of the ground . I have attended Ibrox since 1966/67 and can remember the old hell fire corner only stood there once the Monday after the 1969 cup final when we got pumped by the yahoos 4-0 v Dundee think the attendance that night was 6k.

Was in the centenary stand when we demolished the sheep in the first leg of a league cup round 6-1.

Went to the away leg and we were beaten 3-1. Used to go home and away domestically in those days.

One particular night we played Airdrie and Archie McPherson was in the centenary with his young son.

Speaking as one who stood in it and frequently went on The Mermaid bus with guys actually in the Brigton Derry, the Derry at Ibrox was what is now the Sandy Jardine Stand. Mainly from the half way line to the Rangers end (Copland Road End nowadays). The Rangers End didn’t get that pathetic cover which didn’t cover the entire end (far from it) until mid to late 60s. So all the singing was done in the covered terracing opposite the Stand, now known as the Main Stand. The Broomloan Road End was always referred to as The Celtic end and the Copland Road End was always referred to as The Rangers end. Anyone around who is in their mid 60s or older will back me up on this.

The Derry was the centre rear of the Copland stand (all standing).
What is now the Govan Stand had been all standing too but was fitted with bench seating and became known as the Centenary Stand, and opened in time for 1973, season and marked with a pre-season tournament involving Rangers, Hearts, West Brom and Southamton (to the best of my memory).
Mmm, not my experience, but we won't fall out about it :))

Speaking as one who stood in it and frequently went on The Mermaid bus with guys actually in the Brigton Derry, the Derry at Ibrox was what is now the Sandy Jardine Stand. Mainly from the half way line to the Rangers end (Copland Road End nowadays). The Rangers End didn’t get that pathetic cover which didn’t cover the entire end (far from it) until mid to late 60s. So all the singing was done in the covered terracing opposite the Stand, now known as the Main Stand. The Broomloan Road End was always referred to as The Celtic end and the Copland Road End was always referred to as The Rangers end. Anyone around who is in their mid 60s or older will back me up on this.
Basically I agree, but the cover at the Copland Road end was erected, I believe, in 1966.

My first Rangers v Celtic game was in the centenary stand. Think it was the first game after reconstruction and we won 2-1. Two good goals from DJ and Quinton Young.
No mate the first game after reconstruction was the New Year match versus them on January 73 a 2-1 victory for us when Parlane scored rebound from missed penalty and Alfie Conn scored a last minute winner. I think match you are referring to was Aug/Sept 1975 the day we hoisted the league flag.

Back