The Derry/ Centenary Stand

To me the Derry was the singing section of the Rangers support whether that was in the covered enclosure opposite the main stand, Copland Road or the Rangers end at Hampden.
I was told that as a youngster, but when I first started going to Ibrox I'm sure ifyo paid 50p or £1 you could enter the centenary stand from both ends. That reminds me of changing ends at half time lol

For the record, Cairnlea Drive turnstiles were 1-16, iron Gates were 17-32, with rhe Broomloan Road ones all being just west of the main stand, still on Edmiston Drive, being numbered 51-74.

So there were 24 turnstiles for the Broomloan Road end which, because of a dip in the north-west corner, was smaller than the Copland Road end which had 32 turnstiles.

Also, regarding the partial cover at the Copland Road end, it was similar to the Celtic end at Parkhead, which did not reach all the way down to the front either. I stood for many years between Passageways 16 and 17 in the centre of the Copland Road end, and have no recollection of ever getting wet, at least not from the rain.

BB would i be right in thinking that your photograph appeared in the old Rangers News on a few occasions back in the day, including one from the back of a limousine?

You can see from that picture how the existence of the railway sliced a bit off the terracing in the north west corner otherwise we might have regularly seen gates of over 100,000.

I think those old factories were shown in the BBC series Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Back