The Derry/ Centenary Stand

The People

Maybe one for the slightly older bears

I was only in it once with school pals when I was 13/14 ( I'm 55 now )

And actually only because I was down the front of the rangers end and a bit of trouble started behind us ( can't mind who we were playing ,definitely wasn't the gypsies tho ) ,the stewards moved some of us youngsters over to the centenary stand because of this

actually to have a seat if you wanted it and to look across at the full view of the main stand was just amazing and is one of my best memories of Ibrox

I've seen aerial pictures and some from taken across from it during matches etc

Just wondered if anyone has pictures showing the inside or outside the stand from those times

The Derry End is what's now the Copland. The Centenary Stand is where the Govan is now.

Before the Derry End was covered and became more popular apparently the most lively bit of the ground was at the corner between the two and was known as "Hellfire Corner" :))
I stand corrected lol

Was in the Centenary Stand quite a lot as a kid - no outstanding memories other than a Scottish Cup game v Hearts (6-2, Tam Forsyth scored an og in 1st minute) where there was a lot of trouble, Hearts had a mental support in those days.

When the Rangers End was demolished in 1978 the thought was the singers would move to the Centenary but it never quite happened and the atmosphere was quite subdued for a couple of years. The Derry was always the Copland terracing to me.

My old man referred to what became the centenary stand as “ The Hay Shed”.
In my younger days the covered terracing (top right looking from the main stand ) was known as the Derry amongst my associates, the acoustics were better than behind the goal.

I know I’ll meet with derision from purists but the broomloan was frequently referred to as ” the Celtc end” , my mate lived on Broomloan road so we frequently started out there and walked round to “The Rangers end“ at half time, to see the second half goals goals- we hoped.

in later life I could afford the transfer to the main stand ( One and sixpence if I remember) to look down on the working classes below.

My old man referred to what became the centenary stand as “ The Hay Shed”.
In my younger days the covered terracing (top right looking from the main stand ) was known as the Derry amongst my associates, the acoustics were better than behind the goal.

I know I’ll meet with derision from purists but the broomloan was frequently referred to as ” the Celtc end” , my mate lived on Broomloan road so we frequently started out there and walked round to “The Rangers end“ at half time, to see the second half goals goals- we hoped.

in later life I could afford the transfer to the main stand ( One and sixpence if I remember) to look down on the working classes below.
Think most people referred to it as the Celtic end, same at Hampden. I think they done the same at Parkhead.

The Derry was the singing section. When I started going to Ibrox it was between the halfway line and the Copland end, always referred to as the Rangers end, in the Shed. When the Centenary Stand was built the Derry moved to the middle of the cover of the Rangers end.
I remember a game around Christmas time when the Club gave out free tickets for the Centenary stand. It was busy for the first half, but at half time the Derry regulars assembled in their usual spot for a second half sash bash.

I must admit, my recollection is that the Derry was the covered terracing opposite the main stand. Perhaps some fans referred to areas of Ibrox differently, however in the early 70's my mates and I (from Drumchapel) definitely called that area the Derry, whilst we actually frequented the Rangers end (Copland).

Maybe one for the slightly older bears

I was only in it once with school pals when I was 13/14 ( I'm 55 now )

And actually only because I was down the front of the rangers end and a bit of trouble started behind us ( can't mind who we were playing ,definitely wasn't the gypsies tho ) ,the stewards moved some of us youngsters over to the centenary stand because of this

actually to have a seat if you wanted it and to look across at the full view of the main stand was just amazing and is one of my best memories of Ibrox

I've seen aerial pictures and some from taken across from it during matches etc

Just wondered if anyone has pictures showing the inside or outside the stand from those times
No pics unfortunately but sat in for many seasons.

The Derry was right hand side of SJ stand as you look from main stand. Under the cover before it became the centenary. Apart from when we played the soapdodgers this is where all the singing was. Stood there with my pals, a couple had the old hard hats, from beginning of 71 season until Centenary opened in 1973, so only a couple of years. Although we hadn't won the title since '64 the atmosphere was brilliant. Went though a phase when we wore two scarves (one round the wrist), When when played them the singing was from the Copland end.
Used to go to the away games on football special as well. When we won the cup in 1973 and the title in 75 it was absolutely amazing. I was only 7 when we won it in 64 so limited football knowledge.
Its in our blood WATP.

@Valley Bluenose this seems like a thread for you? :))
You calling me an auld b*stard you young whippersnapper?:)

My memory is as per @Cahoochie on post #12. I used to stand in what I know as The Derry when it was terracing. It was to the right hand side of what is now the Govan/Sandy Jardine Stand, around the 18 yard line at that end. ‘Fondly’ remember falling over when Sandy Jardine scored that early goal against Bayern in 1972 and ending up rolling in the piss on the terracing. Didn’t care at the time, not so good on the Supporters Bus on the way home - until Dixie Deans launched his satellite. :)

When they put the bench seating in and made it the Centenary Stand it took all the atmosphere out of the place but it was where I continued to go. Even later, after the new stand was built, that was where I bought my first season ticket - in the Govan Rear - before moving to the Club Deck a few years later.

Last edited:
You Sir are correct.

Was right up at the very back of it in 1967 when we beat Celtic 1-0 with a Persson goal and Auld went over the top on Davie Provan resulting in a bad leg break for Davie. When they eventually put the wooden benches on the terracing in the 'Derry' the atmosphere was never the same and people would refer to it as the Cemetery Stand rather than the Centenary Stand.

I must admit, my recollection is that the Derry was the covered terracing opposite the main stand. Perhaps some fans referred to areas of Ibrox differently, however in the early 70's my mates and I (from Drumchapel) definitely called that area the Derry, whilst we actually frequented the Rangers end (Copland).
I agree, that's what i called it in the mid to late 60's, great place for a sing song, flutes being played,and a few lassies got their nat king cole in there as well.

The Derry was in the shed before the centenary stand was installed. Roughly in line with the 18 yard line nearest the Copland.

It moved to the rear middle of the Copland after the centenary stand opened.
Correct, the old derry was where you say. From around GR7, under the old cow shed, down to the GF7 area approx.

As others have alluded to, you used to be able to walk from one part of the the stadium to the other, bar the main stand of course. I used to do this regularly watching the first half in the Copland, then walking around to watch the second half in the Broomloan, reason being I got my bus at a stop opposite a pub called the Ibrox House, [another one for the grey heided.] My mate and I both 14 at the time did this at the ECWC 1/4 final versus Torino. Let me tell you this was not so easy with 70k inside Ibrox, in fact we only just caught the only goal of the match scored by Alex McDonald a couple of minutes into the second half. As for the semi final vs Bayern where the attendance was 80k? let's say 14 year old common sense prevailed and we stayed put in the Copland. Happy happy days.

From the 78-79 season i started going home and away every week and we always sat in the Centenary stand.
@Sancus i was also at that Scottish Cup game against Hearts when the fighting broke out in the West Enclosure.

When it first opened you could pay into the Copland Rd end (the Derry) and then there was a turnstile into the Centenary where you paid a surplus to get in....however some brain box didn't realise you could actually climb over the roof of the turnstile box into the Centenary and being a scheme boy I followed my mates and ended up in the stand without paying the surplus.....when we returned for the next home game...well it had barb wire all over the roof.....

To me the Derry was the singing section of the Rangers support whether that was in the covered enclosure opposite the main stand, Copland road or the Rangers end at Hampden.
Was always known as the Derry back in the sixties, never heard any other area at Ibrox called the Derry. Used to stand in there many a game.

Back