The Derry/ Centenary Stand

Everyone I knew called it the Derry End. Never noticed any lack of singing about the Derry Boys in the Rangers End.
Why didn't we have 'the Derry nutter'?:)) I'm a few years older Marc and genuine never heard the Copland referred as such again among my fellow bluenoses. Younger fans don't seem to refer to the Copland as the the Rangers end now

The Derry was in the shed before the centenary stand was installed. Roughly in line with the 18 yard line nearest the Copland.

It moved to the rear middle of the Copland after the centenary stand opened.
This answer is correct. On a side note I watched the Jim Watt World Title Fight from the centenary stand with my old man. Drunk a bottle of Harvey’s Bristol Cream and numerous cans, spending the complete next day in my bed feeling I was going to die. Never drank Sherry since.

Saw the trouble in the Enclosure from the Centenary Stand
There was a group of Jambos in the Centenary Stand that day. After Hearts scored the bottles and cans rained down on them. They were led to safety by the stewards.
Think we went on to win 6 - 1
I was in the Centenary Stand and when Hearts scored the bottles and cans started. They had a big squad of skinheads who ended up down at the front and onto the track. I don’t remember any actual fighting just a hail of missiles coming on top of us because we were right beside the Hearts fans - they must have kept quiet up until the goal because we had no idea they were Hearts fans.

I still have a wry smile when I think of The Centenary Stand. A terracing with some planks of wood formed into benches :))
Each individual seat was outlined in black marker pen for ticket games. Tough luck if you had some well upholstered guy with a huge arse sitting beside you and encroaching on your territory.

At one point during the rebuild the ghastly horde from the East End were put in the Broomloan end of the Centenary stand. I found that my ticket (which I’d bought at Ibrox) put me in with them. I mentioned it to a passing plod who advised me to hide my colours.

Might have worked if I hadn’t had 2 scarves, a UJ and a denim jacket covered in badges. Ended up pushing in with the bears of course. If I recall correctly we were 2-0 up and coasting until we chucked away in the last few minutes ended up 2-2.

At one point during the rebuild the ghastly horde from the East End were put in the Broomloan end of the Centenary stand. I found that my ticket (which I’d bought at Ibrox) put me in with them. I mentioned it to a passing plod who advised me to hide my colours.

Might have worked if I hadn’t had 2 scarves, a UJ and a denim jacket covered in badges. Ended up pushing in with the bears of course. If I recall correctly we were 2-0 up and coasting until we chucked away in the last few minutes ended up 2-2.
Against 10 men. :mad:

Each individual seat was outlined in black marker pen for ticket games. Tough luck if you had some well upholstered guy with a huge arse sitting beside you and encroaching on your territory.

My first game against that mob at Ibrox and my only time in the Centenary Stand. Was the new Copland Stand opened for the first time that day?

No. In the Derry, where the Govan Stand is now.
Yes that's where the Derry was growing up and sang we are the Derry Boys!. Seems I didn't know that later bears transferred the name to at least part of the Copland. I was 'joking' wondering then why that well known bear in CF5 wasn't called the Derry nutter! ;):))

Yes that's where the Derry was growing up and sang we are the Derry Boys!. Seems I didn't know that later bears transferred the name to at least part of the Copland. I was 'joking' wondering then why that well known bear in CF5 wasn't called the Derry nutter! ;):))

Good point.

The Derry to my recollection was where the govan is today and before it was seated and became the centenary stand.
I remember as a youngster sitting up on the metal frame at the back above the bogs.
This is spot on. My first game was in the old Derry which became the centenary stand. Left down the front and told not to move as my old fella disappeared with his brown bag, then collected me at the end of the game. Also bought me a scarf and a programme as I waited outside the stadium bar

When it was seated, everyone moved to the copland.

Speaking as one who stood in it and frequently went on The Mermaid bus with guys actually in the Brigton Derry, the Derry at Ibrox was what is now the Sandy Jardine Stand. Mainly from the half way line to the Rangers end (Copland Road End nowadays). The Rangers End didn’t get that pathetic cover which didn’t cover the entire end (far from it) until mid to late 60s. So all the singing was done in the covered terracing opposite the Stand, now known as the Main Stand. The Broomloan Road End was always referred to as The Celtic end and the Copland Road End was always referred to as The Rangers end. Anyone around who is in their mid 60s or older will back me up on this.
100% correct, I've been going to Ibrox since 1963

Great stuff Bearsden, to be honest by the time we finished the assault course to get in DJ had already scored, rest of the game is hazy in the memory banks. What I do remember is the clip around the lug from the old dear when I got home to Dundee, it was a belter, the old man just
shook his head, they got to know because I cried into my uncles house which was in Harley St,
( 2 streets behind the Copland end ) the reason for that was when we jumped from the wall to
get in the old stay press trousers burst the seams from knee to knee when landing so after the
game got my aunty to run up a stich, they obviously phoned up Dundee to let them know.
Needless to say that was me banned from Ibrox till I was 16. Happy days.
They didnae have phone mate, sent the telegram boy up on his wee rid motorbike ....

There's a whole thread to be discussed on the wherewithal of that inadequate cover.
:))
After one Old Firm match in about 1973 to 1975, as a young teenager I stayed behind long after full time as the crowds departed.

It had been pishing rain all day, so it was no surprise to see that the terracing at the sides and bottom of the Rangers end not under the cover were soaking wet.

What struck me though, was that the terracing under the cover was just as soaked. With pish and spills from the thousands of cans and bottles the Bears had been swallying all through the match.

You'd expect to see dry steps under the cover and wet elsewhere. But oh no, wet everywhere. A heady mixture of rain, beer, whisky and pish. I loved that old terraced Rangers end!

First time me and my pals were brave enough to stand in the Derry would have been around 1968, we watched in amazement as when Rangers scored a whole bunch of guys jumped on each other and rolled down the terracing in a mass of arms and legs. We were only playing Falkirk in a league game.

Speaking as one who stood in it and frequently went on The Mermaid bus with guys actually in the Brigton Derry, the Derry at Ibrox was what is now the Sandy Jardine Stand. Mainly from the half way line to the Rangers end (Copland Road End nowadays). The Rangers End didn’t get that pathetic cover which didn’t cover the entire end (far from it) until mid to late 60s. So all the singing was done in the covered terracing opposite the Stand, now known as the Main Stand. The Broomloan Road End was always referred to as The Celtic end and the Copland Road End was always referred to as The Rangers end. Anyone around who is in their mid 60s or older will back me up on this.
I’m your era mate
Always knew it as the mermaid late 60s until they turned it into the centenary stand

The Derry End is what's now the Copland. The Centenary Stand is where the Govan is now.

Before the Derry End was covered and became more popular apparently the most lively bit of the ground was at the corner between the two and was known as "Hellfire Corner" :))
I think you are going senile in your old age, the Derry was always under the covered area now known as the SJ Stand
Or maybe I am just a lot older than you lol

I think you are going senile in your old age, the Derry was always under the covered area now known as the SJ Stand
I agree. The Derry wasn't "what's now the Copland". It was a relatively small area of the old Ibrox. Basically, at the Copland end, draw 2 lines out to where the SJ stand is. One line begins a wee bit in front of (and is parallel to) the 18 yard line, and the other is parallel to the bye line (maybe a bit behind that - say, where the back of the goal was). That was the Derry. I miss it. The noise would make you shiver.

Possibly an age thing Robert. I’m roughly the same vintage as GS and too young to remember this covered area that is now the SJ stand. For those of us who started attending 1973 onwards the Derry was the Copland terracing, whilst acknowledging that in earlier years the original Derry was in a different place.

I suppose the Copland terrace became the ‘new Derry’ after the seating went in although the term ‘new Derry’ sounds a bit too Republican for me!

The Derry End is what's now the Copland. The Centenary Stand is where the Govan is now.

Before the Derry End was covered and became more popular apparently the most lively bit of the ground was at the corner between the two and was known as "Hellfire Corner" :))
I don't recall anyone ever calling it the Derry End, it was always the Derry Shed, and as far as I can remember, it was (looking from the Dug out) to the right hand side, underneath the covered area opposite.
I'm talking mid 1960's/early 70's, and I have been away a long long time, but that is how I remember it.
I think when the 'Rangers end' cover was completed, round about 67' there seemed to be a whole lot more singing coming from the Rangers end, and I know that some people will tell you that's when the Derry moved into there, but I don't know how true that is, I remember singing come from both areas, post 67'.

The loudest roar I ever heard at Ibrox was when Andy Penman scored a late equaliser against the papes, direct from a Free Kick back in Aug 67', and that came from the recently covered Rangers end. It could be heard 2 subway stations away in Cornwall St.
The other covered area was still referred to as the Derry Shed.

If you can get away with calling somewhere "Hellfire Corner", then I am going to add that I remember the Rangers end being referred to as the 'No Surrender Shed'. :))

The ’Derry’, also known as the ’Shed’, was, as a youngster, considered the place for the ’hard men’. The hard core supporters would be found there. Such was the reputation of the Derry, I only ever ’encroached’ upon it once during a game against the tärriers, and even that was from the side. I never went into the main pack as the men looked like they could kill just by looking at ye :)).

After one Old Firm match in about 1973 to 1975, as a young teenager I stayed behind long after full time as the crowds departed.

It had been pishing rain all day, so it was no surprise to see that the terracing at the sides and bottom of the Rangers end not under the cover were soaking wet.

What struck me though, was that the terracing under the cover was just as soaked. With pish and spills from the thousands of cans and bottles the Bears had been swallying all through the match.

You'd expect to see dry steps under the cover and wet elsewhere. But oh no, wet everywhere. A heady mixture of rain, beer, whisky and pish. I loved that old terraced Rangers end!

Here's a 1970s shot of Ibrox showing how much (little) of the Rangers end was actually protected by the cover.

I think I'm right in saying the first game they opened the new cover at The Rangers end was against Real Zaragossa in March 1967, not long after we had been beaten at Berwick
The Real Zaragossa game in March was the opening of the new floodlights perched on top of the Derry and the Main Stand

The Derry was the singing section. When I started going to Ibrox it was between the halfway line and the Copland end, always referred to as the Rangers end, in the Shed. When the Centenary Stand was built the Derry moved to the middle of the cover of the Rangers end.
I remember a game around Christmas time when the Club gave out free tickets for the Centenary stand. It was busy for the first half, but at half time the Derry regulars assembled in their usual spot for a second half sash bash.
Exactly my recollection.
When Centenary was built Derry moved to middle of Rangers end.

Here's a 1970s shot of Ibrox showing how much (little) of the Rangers end was actually protected by the cover.

That’s a great picture showing the place before the redevelopment

Amazing to think almost 120 thousand people once crammed in there at one point :oops:

Thinking back. I'm sure we used stand in the Celtic End for the 1st half, if Rangers won the toss and then made our way behind the Centenary Stand to the Derry End for the 2nd. Not sure if my mind it playing tricks with me there, but I'm sure we did this back in the mid 70's.

Was never in the Centenary stand too often but i remember witnessing Cooper's performance v Tampere from there.

I worked on the turnstyles at Ibrox for about 6 years from 1977. Copland road end had two sets of turnstyles - Iron Gates and Cairnlea. To get into the Centenary you paid into the terracing via Cairnlea then walked up the ramp to the back of the Centenary and paid at another set of turnstyles ( as mentioned several times on the thread) at the back of the "stand" (basic wooden benches bolted to the existing terracing). Never worked at the other end of the Centenary but assume there was similar there. Broomloan Road end had one set of turnstyles on Edmiston Drive so it would be a walk all the way round that terracing to access the Centenary.

When prices were around 80p to get into the terracing there was another 30p for the Centenary.

For what it's worth the enclosure was about 10p more than the terracing.

My take on it at the time was that the Derry had moved under the roofed section of the Copland.

The Centenary never really worked as it took many supporters' access to the best terracing view away unless you were willing to cough up the extra and even at that you were seated. Remember one game where the Centenary was opened as a freebie as a NYear gift - filled up initially but throughout the first half you could see a slow drift back to the terracing.

My old man referred to what became the centenary stand as “ The Hay Shed”.
In my younger days the covered terracing (top right looking from the main stand ) was known as the Derry amongst my associates, the acoustics were better than behind the goal.

I know I’ll meet with derision from purists but the broomloan was frequently referred to as ” the Celtc end” , my mate lived on Broomloan road so we frequently started out there and walked round to “The Rangers end“ at half time, to see the second half goals goals- we hoped.

in later life I could afford the transfer to the main stand ( One and sixpence if I remember) to look down on the working classes below.
My old man said they called it the bovril stand.Because of the big Bovril advert that was on it at one time.

96284-D68-5-A9-D-4-AB2-80-AC-8-B6-F78-EF8-A83.jpg

I worked on the turnstyles at Ibrox for about 6 years from 1977. Copland road end had two sets of turnstyles - Iron Gates and Cairnlea. To get into the Centenary you paid into the terracing via Cairnlea then walked up the ramp to the back of the Centenary and paid at another set of turnstyles ( as mentioned several times on the thread) at the back of the "stand" (basic wooden benches bolted to the existing terracing). Never worked at the other end of the Centenary but assume there was similar there. Broomloan Road end had one set of turnstyles on Edmiston Drive so it would be a walk all the way round that terracing to access the Centenary.

When prices were around 80p to get into the terracing there was another 30p for the Centenary.

For what it's worth the enclosure was about 10p more than the terracing.

My take on it at the time was that the Derry had moved under the roofed section of the Copland.

The Centenary never really worked as it took many supporters' access to the best terracing view away unless you were willing to cough up the extra and even at that you were seated. Remember one game where the Centenary was opened as a freebie as a NYear gift - filled up initially but throughout the first half you could see a slow drift back to the terracing.
For the record, Cairnlea Drive turnstiles were 1-16, iron Gates were 17-32, with rhe Broomloan Road ones all being just west of the main stand, still on Edmiston Drive, being numbered 51-74.

So there were 24 turnstiles for the Broomloan Road end which, because of a dip in the north-west corner, was smaller than the Copland Road end which had 32 turnstiles.

Also, regarding the partial cover at the Copland Road end, it was similar to the Celtic end at Parkhead, which did not reach all the way down to the front either. I stood for many years between Passageways 16 and 17 in the centre of the Copland Road end, and have no recollection of ever getting wet, at least not from the rain.

For the record, Cairnlea Drive turnstiles were 1-16, iron Gates were 17-32, with rhe Broomloan Road ones all being just west of the main stand, still on Edmiston Drive, being numbered 51-74.

So there were 24 turnstiles for the Broomloan Road end which, because of a dip in the north-west corner, was smaller than the Copland Road end which had 32 turnstiles.

Also, regarding the partial cover at the Copland Road end, it was similar to the Celtic end at Parkhead, which did not reach all the way down to the front either. I stood for many years between Passageways 16 and 17 in the centre of the Copland Road end, and have no recollection of ever getting wet, at least not from the rain.
I was in that section for one of the most pivotal games in our history, on 4 January 1975, when we overtook Celtic at the top of the table, before storming on to our 35th title, never looking back. Not long after we went 3-0 up, I stared a song, which spread right across the whole of the Copland Road end, right along the Centenary Stand to my right, and even into the main stand and Enclosure on my left. What a magnificent feeling that was!

I was in that section for one of the most pivotal games in our history, on 4 January 1975, when we overtook Celtic at the top of the table, before storming on to our 35th title, never looking back. Not long after we went 3-0 up, I stared a song, which spread right across the whole of the Copland Road end, right along the Centenary Stand to my right, and even into the main stand and Enclosure on my left. What a magnificent feeling that was!
I still remember lunchtime BBC prob Football Focus of the time and explaining how if Gers were to win 3 -0 we would go top of the league! Parlane got third and wee droopy Tommy McLean was brilliant. It pissed down but suited us that day. yeh great feeling.

For those of us of a certain vintage this thread has brought back some fond memories. What a privilege it is that we were predestined to be members of the chosen few.

Brilliant info
I love reading stuff like this

You can see from that picture how the existence of the railway sliced a bit off the terracing in the north west corner otherwise we might have regularly seen gates of over 100,000.

Back