The Development Squad and next Year

Should we pull out of the Development League for another year?

• Yes

Votes: 76 91.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

The Salty Dog

With what I can only deem as a very succesful and positive "experiment" in having the development squad play teams from outwith Scotland on a regular basis. Should the Club be looking to do a similar thing next year and pull out of the Scottish Development League and basically go it alone?

I ask this as a part from a few results during the year we've beat some of the most influential names in European Football. IMO this should be the way that the Club improve our own players in order to make them better for the future and more than ready for any step up to first team involvement.

I voted yes, however i think the reserve league is making a comeback, so they may be playing against squad players or first team players returning from injury.... which will make it a bit more competitive against seasoned pros.

On the flip side the experience they get from facing different styles and playing in different environments is invaluable ....

They had to apply to the SFA (or another relevant board, can't remember) to allow them to take a year out. Not sure if they'd let them do it again. Imo they should allow it, would improve the youth players far more than playing the same opposition over and over again.

Voted yes.

Wasn't aware of the return of the reserves league which will be a positive for young lads to play amongst more experienced pros.

No reason why we shouldn't continue to arrange similar friendlies for the young ones to play against different opposition though.

I think it was only 1 year option until plans were put in place

It still doesn't prevent us from playing teams from other countries

It would be interesting to find out how much this season's development projects have cost in relation to previous seasons. As long as we see players emerging for OUR first team then it is without doubt best continuing down this road as long as the financial side is sustainable.

I really like the idea of the young lads pitting themselves against better players from all over Europe rather than some of the teams here in Scotland. Can only be a positive step in their development.

Was told by Rangers development coaches that the reserve league is only really a change in name of the current set up. Rangers and other SPL teams are discussing with SFA about a colts team starting in Div 3. Malky McKay and a few senior ones are all for it but don’t expect any changes next season.

Back