The Dhims lining up a bid for Lawrence Shankland

:D Christie has had about 5 good games and now he’s “an excellent player”.

Who needs a compliant press to bum up their players?

My exact point was that you could tell he'd be able to make the step up to Rangers or Celtic at Aberdeen/Inverness. I would have said the exact same thing about James Maddison when he was at Aberdeen as another example. Those 5 games have potentially taken them into the last 32 of Europe and won them a trophy. Not exactly bad games to start performing in.

Anyone who couldn't see he was going to be an excellent player knows nothing about football.

Same as Armstrong (when he kicked on), a season or two with them then Premier League.
Very very true mate. Sore as it is to say, Christie is a very good player and that was apparent when he was with the Muttonians.

My exact point was that you could tell he'd be able to make the step up to Rangers or Celtic at Aberdeen/Inverness. I would have said the exact same thing about James Maddison when he was at Aberdeen as another example. Those 5 games have potentially taken them into the last 32 of Europe and won them a trophy. Not exactly bad games to start performing in.

I genuinely think you are overstating how good he’s been.

For everyone who compares him to nicky clarke Hes got a better goal average than waghorn had in the championship with us and hes no doin too bad just because its a lower division doesnt mean hes not decent
Ive also said previously shankland won’t have the pressure of being our first choice striker

When John Wark was linked with Celtic his answer to the question would you sign was what every true blue should say when asked.

There are two reasons I would not sign for Celtic. My family would never forgive me and I would never forgive myself.
Cracking story, I hope it’s true and not one of these Urban Legends.

When John Wark was linked with Celtic his answer to the question would you sign was what every true blue should say when asked.

There are two reasons I would not sign for Celtic. My family would never forgive me and I would never forgive myself.

Obviously 99.9% of us will never be in the situation when Celtic are offering us money to play for them. For some of these guys, it's their profession and they treat it as a job. That said, I'd like to believe that if Celtic are willing to sign you, then an English team that can at least pay as much would be willing to do the same. Choosing to sign for them is unforgivable when you can either hold out for a move to us or move to England instead. I know with Allan there might not have been an alternative willing to pay him as much due to the GIUY factor. He was clearly trying to get a move to Rangers by being pictured out with our players before taking the money. He might have been a Rangers fan but he should never be treated like one now.

This would just be a PR signing for Celtic. Getting 'it up' Rangers by signing a player who is well known to be a fan.(Scott Allan). If Celtic are indeed after him, i would be surprised if Rangers aren't looking at him.

The ultimate PR signing was Mo Johnston it not only fecked them for years back then it still grates to this day.

Lawwell no matter how hard he tries cannot ever outdo that boot in the bawz.

And you know this for a fact? It's easy for people to sit on here and rattle on about signing for them but when really put in that position it would be a much tougher decision thn many would like to admit!
Colin Stein
Kris Boyd
Willie Johnston
Derek Parlane
And so on and so forth all came from wee crappy Scottish teams not one of them would even have considered ever playing for them. Shankland is the same.

Heard it all before. Young played are only interested I'm £££. If they offer him 5k a week more 250k a year x 3/4 yesr Deal he'll be off to wairm the bench. Ala Dalglish, McLeod, Provan, McGrain, Brown to names few

he didn't make it at Aberdeen...spent most of his time out on loan in lower divisions, he's 23 and has hit a golden patch at championship level. Ian McCall has a lot to do with it......
Wrong, he is into his second golden patch season.
Not making it at one particular club when you are young and progressing doesn't mean that every door is then shut to you forever more.
Going backwards to then make a leap forward isn't unusual,....indeed it happens quite frequently in football.

Colin Stein
Kris Boyd
Willie Johnston
Derek Parlane
And so on and so forth all came from wee crappy Scottish teams not one of them would even have considered ever playing for them. Shankland is the same.

They got the chance to play for Rangers, it's a no brainer then. However, what happens if no-one else comes in for the player? Do you expect him to stay at Ayr and turn down 10 times his salary??

For every Nicky Clark there is a nacho novo who started at Raith in this country.

A young Scottish lad scoring for fun. We have to at least be scouting him I’d imagine.

Anyone who couldn't see he was going to be an excellent player knows nothing about football.

Same as Armstrong (when he kicked on), a season or two with them then Premier League.
Not sure I’d agree with your first point there.
In any case, are you sure Shankland can’t improve in a similar manner with better players assisting him?

Don't think that is true - even the sheep weren't impressed with him on loan.

Quite frankly you will never know if players can step-up until they are given the chance, although I think McCall is on record as saying Shankland will be staying with them until the summer, even if it means they don't get a penny for him, so any deal would need to be a pre-contract.

My observation, albeit from only 2 two Ayr Utd games I've seen, is that Shankland benefits a lot from his teammate Moffat. Quite like when we were linked to Raith Rovers top scorer Stevie Crawford when Colin Cameron was the better player.
I don't think any are good enough, better option than Sadiq but not better than Ryan Hardie.

Us signing this boy is such a low risk option it is a no brainer. How anyone can fail to see, or accept that, is beyond me. Sign him on a pre and loan him back to Ayr for the rest of the season is a great option for all parties. Get it done.

You won't know if the lad is good enough until he gets a game at a higher level.

It is a punt, but I think for the outlay it's worth taking.

As others has said we have brought through plenty of Scottish players from the lower leagues. It's not as though we have the money to go out & get a ready made striker. We did it with Morelos, he's improving all the time, a part from the cards.

Get him bought & let him have his dream.

If we’re signing him I’d hope loan him back for the remainder of the season so he can help keep Dundee Hibernian down.

Plus, we need a proven striker at our level in January, not potential.

Bawz.

He's past "potential'' ffs.

And then some.

At Killie/hertz he'd bag 25+ a year without breaking sweat.

Get him signed.

Just get him signed Rangers

Too good an opportunity to pass and one we can’t lose on.

He could be anything and he’s desperate to come to us for not a lot of money. Do the deal

Back