The Dhims lining up a bid for Lawrence Shankland

For the money it’s a decent punt.

(His goal scoring record isn’t too dissimilar to that of Jamie Vardy’s for Fleetwood town in the conference before signing for championship club Leicester...)

Was told by someone who is involved with Ayr. Like I say I don't know if it's true but don't think it's been pulled out of thin air either. He's definitely been watched by them on more than a few occasions as well.

I would have thought that if they are lining up a bid for Shankland then they will definitely have watched him ‘on more than a few occasions’.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't compare every signing to Nicky Clarke. Look at Morelos, go look at the teams and defenders he played against. The standard there is rotten and yet look how he is performing for us.

The boy might not have impressed at Aberdeen but he was what? 18 at the time? If a player at 18 - 21 is scoring regularly as he is now then he would be down south more likely and well out our price range.

That lot across the city take gambles on on players even if it is to stop us from getting them but it works out for them, they either loan them out to other SPL clubs or seem to make a profit out of them. We might slag Morgan but a few of them in work are saying he looks good when he does play.

It's a low fee/ free pre contract and a very low risk signing. He isn't being signed to be our first choice, although who knows he might surprise us all, prove a lot wrong and make the step up. I'd have him over Lafferty and Sadiq right now. We could regret not getting this lad or he could flop but i'd rather take the risk than be sorry later.

Great scoring record for Ayr, 42 goals in 45 games, but must be big doubts if he can make the step up. Don't know if it's a lot of shit but they are supposed to be thinking about making a move for him in January.

By all accounts he is a big Rangers fan from a Rangers supporting family, should we be looking at him? Haven't seen him play but if he's decent we should be having a look even if it's for back up. Would probably be available for around £300,000

Reeks of Nicky Clark...

If he's been brought up a bear then there's not a chance he's ever contemplating signing for them, he was recently pictured with his other half in the Argyle restaurant if I remember correctly.

If he was a young boy trying to make it in the game I would understand if he went to them if they were interested (talking from experience here ) but no way at the age he is at now, that's selling your soul to the devil

This thread got me wondering what happened to the great Dembele after his move to Lyon.

4 goals this season, 2 in one game.

Mentioned on an older thread about LS but I’d be surprised if many on here have any real knowledge of him.

I’m sure we will be aware and will have watched him.

And so will the mentally challengeds.

Mentioned on an older thread about LS but I’d be surprised if many on here have any real knowledge of him.

I’m sure we will be aware and will have watched him.

And so will the mentally challengeds.
Having no knowledge of a player hasn't stopped stopped anyone here deciding how good a player is mate . Only thing I know about him is he scores

I'd take a punt on him. Loan him to another SPL side for 6 months to see if he can score regularly at higher level. He clearly knows where the goal is and has scored consistently.

This is the type if signing going forward we need to be confident in making and further developing the player. That will be key for us, creating the environment to make better.

I’m not sure with the likes of Nicky Clarke that we had the setup/coaching to go and make him better. Albeit some of that rests at the player.

It will always be hit or miss with lower league players but the money talked about represents a decent risk to reward ratio. Bring them in coach them better and give them the platform to develop.

Because he won’t make the step up and be any good.
But you don't know that or say it with any certainty. We've had many players in our history who've signed from lower clubs who've went on to be good signings, Shankland may or may not be one but i'd rather he was at us than them to find out otherwise.

Whilst he's a good bluenose, the lure of significant wages and signing on fees would be extremely difficult to refuse, particularly if there are no other interested parties willing to make a significant firm offer.

A footballers career is a short one, and they are a bad tackle away from ending that career. I can understand why players go to clubs who they have no affiliation for. This thread may be different if we were also offering a firm bid. It would be SA all over again.

I wouldn't slaughter the lad if he went to them if nobody else was willing to take him. I believe that he's just moved in with his partner also which may sway his mindset.

The ultimate PR signing was Mo Johnston it not only fecked them for years back then it still grates to this day.

Lawwell no matter how hard he tries cannot ever outdo that boot in the bawz.
Well said mate. Mo Johnston was a top player and international. Morgan, Allan and Shankland are neither of those.

Mo scoring for us against them is still like a dagger through the heart to them and I for one love it.

We need to be sharper at doing what celtc did with Christie. Buy a few younger players and park them lower league down South or mid table prem here and let them grow.

That’s how we can make sure new talent is with us and if it does work out, particularly if they’ve been down to a fleetwood or such then maybe there’s half a mill or a million to be made selling them on. Other clubs make fortunes signing and selling players that were never making their squad. We need to do the same!

I wish folk would stop using the line "he'd be just like ..........." (enter dud/legend name), or "this season is unfolding like ......." (enter poor or outstanding season).

Fact is someone like Stevie G could get the best out of a relatively young talent, and I'd rather we gave our own a chance than have someone else take them to their full potential.

Going on previous there’s probably something in this. We will soon find out how much of a Bear he really is.

If true and it’s out then he’s probably already agreed to go. They don’t like bad publicity as we all know.

Find this issue about Lawrence Shankland to be puzzling. Several people are against signing him not because they have seen him play much but because Nicky Clark didn’t make it. Can we not accept that our scouting people are likely to have watched him more often than any of us and will be better equipped to judge whether signing the player is worthwhile.

Reeks of Nicky Clark...
So we can ever sign another player with potential from lower leagues because Nicky Clark never worked out.
We took the spfls all-time top scorer back to the championship he never worked out went back to killie the next season and was spfl top scorer.
Shankland is a low risk punt Pre contract low wage.
Could flop or could be the new Ally

We need to be sharper at doing what celtc did with Christie. Buy a few younger players and park them lower league down South or mid table prem here and let them grow.

That’s how we can make sure new talent is with us and if it does work out, particularly if they’ve been down to a fleetwood or such then maybe there’s half a mill or a million to be made selling them on. Other clubs make fortunes signing and selling players that were never making their squad. We need to do the same!
You are spot on
How many so called not good enough players have the tims sold for good money
They nearly always seem to make a profit

Maybe, but Shankland isn't the one to do that with.

Christie has been playing in the Premiership for 5 years now whilst Shanklands having a good season at Ayr but its just off the back of failed spells at St Mirren and Morton.

We should've signed Lawrence Shankland when he played for Queen's Park and we were both in the 3rd division. He might not have survived to the Premier League but he'd have done a job to 1st division level without too much of a problem.

Would the league Shankland plays in be the same level as the Finnish league where Alfie played?
Nah. It would be lower. The Top of the Finnish League would probably equate with a mid-table Premier League team, with the occasional side which is better than that and scrapes into either the later stages of pre-group CL qualification or EL group level.

Every signing is a gamble for us, the rangers shirt is a big one to fill, some players excel and flourish in it, some shrivel and die in it,,, Clarke was the latter, there is no reason Shanklin can't flourish

We should always be snapping up the brightest young Scottish prospects , more so when they're Bears.

I said on the old board that christie was much better player than Scott Allan and I got called everything for it! I think we should sign shankland, he could turn into a great player for us

More likely to be a plant so we make moves for him and burn money on players nowhere near good enough.

I say we should sign the guy and leave him with Ayr for the rest of the season, when SG and his staff get to work on him, we will see what he has in his locker, and the fact that he is a fan is surely a good thing?

Nah. It would be lower. The Top of the Finnish League would probably equate with a mid-table Premier League team, with the occasional side which is better than that and scrapes into either the later stages of pre-group CL qualification or EL group level.
Far better than i expected

Hope we sign him and loan him back to ayr and helps ayr to premier lge and prevent s Dundee utd coming up

Interesting point, always like a wee laugh at d utd too, thing is though we need his goals now, not next season or in a few, we need a finisher for the 2nd half of campaign, our season and our club is much more important.

I also think it would be a huge gamble to ignore a player of this quality that will no doubt be desperate to sign.

Back