The Dilemma facing Pedro versus them....

It's important we don't sit off them and let them dictate the game. I hope Pedro has learned that from the last two games.

It's also important that we don't allow ourselves to be outnumbered in midfield, so the 442 needs to be binned for this game. Midfield is where this game will be won and lost.

There's only one place in the team up for grabs imo with 3 players going for it - does Pena, Miller or Rossiter start in midfield alongside Dorrans and Jack?

The other 10 players (should) pick themselves.

I'd be inclined to go with Rossiter and Jack holding in front of our back 4 with Dorrans, Windass and Candy playing off Morelos and providing support to him when we win the ball back.

I'm probably 100% with your selection.
Final call on who plays ahead of Rossiter and Jack, might be who is most likely to get a goal.
For me, that would still be Miller.
However, I'm more inclined to think of who might get us a goal and be more disciplined in their defensive duties.
This would be Dorrans.
Dorrans plays, by the way, if not instead of Miller, then with Jack at the expense of Rossiter.

First of all, where's the evidence that the Manager won't start with Kranjcar?
Too much wishful thinking on this thread so far, it's clear the manager likes him even if we don't.

Secondly, if we're going to have any chance then Graham Dorrans needs to significantly improve what he's offered us so far. I've been disappointed TBH, but this is a big game and I hope he can step up and show what he's capable of.

If we start Niko we won't win. It's as simple as that. He doesn't have the legs for games like this.

He's only been playing in the last few weeks because Windass was out imo.

For all the talk about them being under pressure it is Pedro who is under massive pressure after his horrorshows against them already. A pumping and he won't last much longer.

I watched some of the mentally challenged game last night. It's the first time I've seen them in a game that wasn't involving us for ages. Also hard to take much from their performance. We shouldn't fool ourselves though, they will be dangerous in attack against us, their midfield has the winning of us if they turn up and I don't know much about their defence. I'd fancy Morelos to cause them trouble, less so the rest of our strikers.

I suspect PC would bite your arm off for a draw. I worry about our ability to soak up any pressure, they get chances and have strikers who can score. I'm hoping that Dembele will still be out, apparently he's been injured all season so far.

We can't afford passengers in the game, old cliche but true. Who do we play in midfield? Krankjar, Pena, Windass could get eaten alive.

And it goes without saying it we pump them it will be one of the sweeter victories against them. And overdue.

1. Don't repeat last season's 'give them the ball and retreat to edge of own box' tactic
2. Deal with set pieces and crosses
3. Play 4-2-3-1 with this starting XI - Usual defence, Rossiter and Jack, Dorrans ahead of them, wide would be Candiace and Windass, and El Bufalo up front

I am, for the first time in about a year, finding some confidence in this Rangers team and I think it's because Morelos looks like the first striker we've had since Boyd (first spell) who looks like he can actually finish.

Hopefully take care of the Jags then head to Ibrox in buoyant mood.

I'd go 4-2-3-1 with Rossiter and Jack as holders

Wes
Tav Alves Cardoso Wallace
Dorrans Jack
Candieas Dorrans Windass
El Buffalo

Windass & Candieas need to put a shift in.... Noticed alot last night when Sinclair / Roberts were cutting inside the full backs, PSG's midfielders were there to cut them off also, would like to Rossiter and Jack to try and do this also if possible.

It's 100% important we don't let them rile us.

Ignore Brown and his plastic hard man mong face.

Just get on and play our football.

Or face being reduced to 10 men.

Crossed balls they are all over the shop so we put any sort of quality in the box we will hurt them.
Yup that's exactly how we can hurt them and we will. We have the best crosser of the ball in the league (Candeias) and a striker who is dominant in the air (Morelos) and Pena is no slouch either, Pedro's style is made for this type of game too, we played Marseille, Sheffield and Watford in pre season and got good results from all of them because they all came and attacked us. If the poets do that and they will then we've a good chance.

Wes
Tav Cardoso Alves Wallace
Candeias Dorrans Jack Windass
Pena
Morelos​
We win with that team imo. Windass is the only one who I'd consider not starting in that line up but that's only if John gets game time against Partick and does well.

For all the talk about them being under pressure it is Pedro who is under massive pressure after his horrorshows against them already. A pumping and he won't last much longer.

I watched some of the mentally challenged game last night. It's the first time I've seen them in a game that wasn't involving us for ages. Also hard to take much from their performance. We shouldn't fool ourselves though, they will be dangerous in attack against us, their midfield has the winning of us if they turn up and I don't know much about their defence. I'd fancy Morelos to cause them trouble, less so the rest of our strikers.

I suspect PC would bite your arm off for a draw. I worry about our ability to soak up any pressure, they get chances and have strikers who can score. I'm hoping that Dembele will still be out, apparently he's been injured all season so far.

We can't afford passengers in the game, old cliche but true. Who do we play in midfield? Krankjar, Pena, Windass could get eaten alive.

And it goes without saying it we pump them it will be one of the sweeter victories against them. And overdue.

Personally would prefer Dembele to play instead of thumb heid, but don't see it.

Watched a couple of their games this year and one thing that is absolutely noticeable in a matter of minutes is how open/exposed they are at the back.

Yes their front 5 for Scotland standards is decent and likely to bag lots of goals but their defence if properly attacked is more than likely to ship a few goals.

So does Pedro set up to contain the front players like Sinclair and Roberts with a look to play them on the break with Candieas, Windass and Morelos offering some pace on the counter. Or does he roll the dice, play attacking football and accept we might let one or two goals in in the hope we make and take chances at the other end?

I think the key to winning at Ibrox will be finding the right balance of both scenarios. An early goal would help a lot but part of me wonders how they would react to a tighter game against us where they can't Swan around like the Harlem globe trotters - much harder game to play if your not a few goals up.

I think they should be worrying about how to deal with Candeias and Windass's crosses.

The fancy footwork from PSG was a joy to watch, but it was the crosses in to the box that killed them last night.

I'd give Nemane a good 60 on Friday and play him against them as well. He has motivation to show he is as good as Roberts and Ntcham. And he's fast as %^*& which we'll need if playing on the counter.

I'd give Nemane a good 60 on Friday and play him against them as well. He has motivation to show he is as good as Roberts and Ntcham. And he's fast as %^*& which we'll need if playing on the counter.
He's about 4 foot tall mate. Maybe best to ease him into Scottish football till he hits puberty

We cant risk putting in a untested youth player with no 1st team experience away to Partick , For a start we MUST win on Friday going into the OF game if we fail to do so then it can have a negative effect. Why play the young boy when we have Windass who is much more experienced than him and has played well this season. Talk about counting chickens , we wont just turn up on Friday and win easy , It will be a difficult game so we cant risk just bringing youth in just for game time before the OF. We are nowhere near that stage yet. jeso

This isn't the time to play totally untried youngsters mate.

These next 3 games will have a big say in our whole season.

We have far better players this year so no need to give them TO much respect.

A nice balance between defence and attack and try and capitalise on the counter attacks with the pace of Windass, Candeias and Morelos.

Windass does not do enough tracking back and Wallace is continually exposed as a result. I would play John as the LM against Partick and if he does well keep him in for the Celtic match.

I'd fancy Miller to nick us a goal if he came on with fresh legs in the last 20-30 mins when the game has opened up. Morelos is banging them in but if I could pick one player for a chance to fall to against them next weekend I'd still plump for Miller to keep his composure and bury it.
I have to agree with this. Keep Miller on the bench until they start to tire.

Nemane maybe the player we need to make Ralston lose his cool at right back. Anyone who watched their thrashing last night could see he was lucky to stay on the pitch and was totally overcome by the occasion. Could easily be sent off against us...

If Lawell decides that Beaton referees the game, as his reward for the Hibs fiasco, then it doesn't matter what we do. The most neutral referee would Collum, but any other of the intimidated officials, Thomson, Dallas, Clancy or Madden, and we will be lucky to finish with 11 players, while Brown is given freedom to punch and kick anything that moves, before being booked in the 89th minute.

If Rossiter is going to play he needs minutes as he will still off the pace, Pena I question if he has the legs and workrate required. Miller cant play there. Who fits in along side Jack and Dorrans is Pedro's big question and the outcome may dictate our chances
Rossiter and Pena need to get some game time against Thistle on Friday and both should be given the full game against them in the cup imo

If Lawell decides that Beaton referees the game, as his reward for the Hibs fiasco, then it doesn't matter what we do. The most neutral referee would Collum, but any other of the intimidated officials, Thomson, Dallas, Clancy or Madden, and we will be lucky to finish with 11 players, while Brown is given freedom to punch and kick anything that moves, before being booked in the 89th minute.

I would be guessing that it will be Thomson.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football_document_libraries.cfm?page=2061

We've got Collum on Friday and McLean on Tuesday, they've got McLean on Saturday and Beaton on Wednesday at Dundee. Don't know how they pick referees mind - I just can't really remember having the same ref in consecutive games recently - but the ref himself will know weeks in advance, it's only the announcement that comes the week before/of the game.

Back