The Dutch version of Chris Sutton says Rangers were "hopeless"

police-raid-uk-breaking-in-a-door-of-a-suspect-MD4MCF.jpg
The fella in the background looks as though he's having a quick slash before they go in :p

If you think that then football isn't for you.
When were we under huge pressure? First half the game should’ve been over from about 65/70 we kept our shape and offered them minimal chances to break us down. I can’t think of period we looked second best they had a few chances and that was about it.

It is hyperbole.

But I can see what he's getting at.

On one hand we could have won 4-0 or more.

But on the other our style of play is somewhat limited. During the game I couldn't help think back to previous eras where our pressure on teams was more relentless and there was more variety and flair in our play.

I suppose it's an upwards slope. We are a europa league team right now. In the future when we become a champions league team again I expect to see the sort of flair and style we all saw in the past on some infamous european nights.
Mate, other than a very short spell under Advocaat, we have never, ever played like that in European football. Even the much vaunted 92/93 team and the uefa final team weren't outplaying teams like you state. We were organised, had quality in areas of the park and stuck to a game plan. We could have been out of sight against a Dutch side who were champions of their country 2 years ago. It's a great result and a very good performance.

the "physical" idea which has been banded about a few times now reminds me of Football Manager when you thrash someone and then the first thing the press mention is are you happy with the physical intentions of your players if you got a few booked in the game rather than "you pumped them, good job"

if we'd have won by 3 or 4, Feyenoord and Dutch "experts" wouldn't have had any argument to it, we should have had that by HT

Lol, who?

He's not so much oranj as soor grapes.

And as for being physical, I sometimes feel we are nowhere near physical enough.

To say that Rangers didn't play football is just nuts.
However, both teams were guilty of not keeping possession.
That said, we attacked with speed and vibrancy in the first half and our tempo was at times bewildering.
Our performance was greatly reduced in the second half when we clearly tired.
However all through the match, we looked dangerous and continued to make good moments in the last third.

What did let us down was our decision making when we got into so many good positions and as a Spurs pal said, after watching our game,' we couldn't finish our dinner'.
Feyenoord were pretty average for a Dutch side, but was that not because we made them look average?

As for television pundits, most of them give you no more real insight than the average clued up football fan.
I listen to Sutton sometimes and he just talks shyte.
No surprise that Holland has the same equally dim punditry.

We played the final 30 minutes continuously giving the ball back to a very poor Feyenoord side.

I'm not questioning the result. The bare result was excellent.

Anyone who didn't watch the game will look at the result, '1-0 Rangers' and think - fine result.

But if there's anyone who thinks our performance in the 2nd half was good, then I'd challenge you to watch it back.

Our touch, our passing, our finishing was very poor after the break and I was sitting there watching the game thinking it was only a matter of time before they scored.

Steven Gerrard pretty much said the same thing in the post-match interview.
I never said it was great and we were sloppy last 30 but it certainly wasn't hopeless.

Our finishing was the most hopeless aspect of our play, we also put everything into the 1st 60 mins so i knew we would be hanging on towards the end.

Last edited:
We out played them, we out matched them, we over powered them.

We missed a penalty, we should have had another, we missed free headers, we hit the bar, we missed from 6 yards, Jack sclaffed one, Arfield had a couple of chances, as did Morelos, we drilled a ball across their goal.

1-0 going on 7. Doesn't really matter what people think or say, Rangers won.

I never said it was great and we were sloppy last 30 but it certainly wasn't hopeless.

Our finishing was the most hopeless aspect of our play, we also put everything into the 1st 60 mins so i knew we would be hanging on towards the end.

The last 30 was tough to watch. We lost our way and our ball retention was really poor. If the game had gone another 10 mins feyenoord wouldve scored. Total contrast to the first half where we were superb. 4-0 wouldve been a fair half time score..

I’ve had Hibs fans saying that was the best they’ve seen us play in years. No agenda, no sour grapes, just neutral football guys giving their opinion on what they saw.

This guy sounds like another contrarian being contrary. I wonder what he thought of the bio mechanics?

I’ve had Hibs fans saying that was the best they’ve seen us play in years. No agenda, no sour grapes, just neutral football guys giving their opinion on what they saw.

This guy sounds like another contrarian being contrary. I wonder what he thought of the bio mechanics?

They (Hibs support) also said we were tremendous when we took them apart at Ibrox on the opening home game of the season.

Haha article actually makes me smile. For a good period of that game we were the better side, we should have been further infront, I don’t care about why.

My father in law was following it on his phone while on holiday in New York, and whatever site it was said the first half was even..

Rangers have been labelled ‘hopeless’ by former Dutch player turned TV pundit Johan Derksen, despite beating Feyenoord in the Europa League.
Steven Gerrard this week revealed he would use the opinions of the Dutch before the opening game in the group to fire up his players and they responded with a deserved 1-0 win.

But that performance failed to impress one of Holland’s most famous football pundits.

Derksen, a journeyman player for five Dutch clubs, before becoming a controversial presenter in the media, reckoned Feyenoord and Rangers were as bad as each other.
He said: “Feyenoord were hopeless, but the sad thing was Rangers were hopeless too.
“The atmosphere at Ibrox was very intimidating and Feyenoord allowed themselves to be scared of the atmosphere.

“If you can’t deal with pressure then you have no chance against Rangers. Feyenoord were overwhelmed physically.
“Rangers can’t play football, but they are physical.
The players of Rangers had a passion when they went on the park that you just don’t see in Dutch football. I don’t think Feyenoord won a tackle in the first half.

“And if you don’t do that, you fail.”
There’s a well known, almost an aphorism, that I’ll paraphrase for a footballing context.
Those who can do, do,
Those who can’t do ... become pundits.

Last edited:
I love that every foreigner jumps on the stereotypical british game of old bandwagon.

We did play football. It is possible to be physical but yet pass a football. It's part of winning footbal matches.

It’s Amazing how Even journalists don’t know the difference between Holland and the Netherlands

Reactions: VGM
People will talk shite no matter how well or not, they are informed. This is just another example of someone with a platform being a complete Mutton Heid.

Take with a pinch of salt.

He’s the Dutch football Jeremy Clarkson.

Will have been to wind up Feyenoord fans not anything against us

Back