The English Game -Netflix

It was the Scots who pioneered the passing game used by Blackburn in this.
Which in itself exposes the historical inaccuracy of both the title and England's claim to have invented the game. In truth a form of football was played all over the country, how else could so many clubs have been formed around the same time.

Which in itself exposes the historical inaccuracy of both the title and England's claim to have invented the game. In truth a form of football was played all over the country, how else could so many clubs have been formed around the same time.

There is nothing wrong with the title as, I took that to mean the two Glaswegians transformed the English game

Quite enjoyed it too. Not sure I'd have watched if it wasn't for the current situation tho. But glad I did.
worth noting that the Old Etonian player in it "Arthur Kinnaird" was Scottish too and played once for the national team. Would probably have played more but in those days the national team was Queens Park

I'm up to episode five. Glad it's not meant to be factually accurate as filming it to be that would mean one error would ruin it. The way they've done it means they have complete licence to do what they want with it.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I understand it isn;t particularly accurate historically, but the acting is good and it's the only fitba on the tv just now

I'm watching it at the moment it's quite good "Queens Park" and "Partick " no mention of the Rangers yet.

It makes me wonder??? A film about the gallant pioneers all our success ,failures, our history, what a story on film that would be don't you think?

It was good I thought, very entertaining. I'm not really bothered with historical accuracy, if I was then every western ever made would be unwatchable.

It was good I thought, very entertaining. I'm not really bothered with historical accuracy, if I was then every western ever made would be unwatchable.
Agreed, a very enjoyable watch. Who cares about the inaccuracies. Enjoy it Bears. We are all suffering from withdrawals.

Just finished watching the last of the series.i really enjoyed it.as with a lot of things based on a true story there will be dramatic license.i just read up on jimmy love and he was dead by the age of 24 as he joined the army after his injury and died of disease

There's a bit of artistic licence but, overall, I enjoyed it.

It's so crazy to think that there was a time when Scottish football was the most progressive. How times have changed!

I remember reading an article of the Old Etonians v Blackburn Rovers FA cup final and apparently the upper class society with their picnics were horrified as several thousand scruffs from the North turned up at the Oval , most of them in a state of drunkeness.

I quite enjoyed it.

I thought the story they told with it was more about how football had to move with the times from professional players to how the game was played and governed.

While watching it last night the thought crossed my mind that our gallant pioneers would have played against both when they were at Partick and they were no doubt reading and discussing the controversy surrounding Blackburn.i though the figure who apart from the two scots lads who came out of it the best Arthur who in it gives a brilliant bit where he’s saying to the old Etonians “this game is going to evolve and the whole world will be playing this game”

Quite enjoyed it too. Not sure I'd have watched if it wasn't for the current situation tho. But glad I did.
worth noting that the Old Etonian player in it "Arthur Kinnaird" was Scottish too and played once for the national team. Would probably have played more but in those days the national team was Queens Park
In the first episode when Darwin play the old etonians Souter says to Arthur Kinnaird that he seen him play in Glasgow against queens park

Finished it last night, definitely worth a watch. Now I can go and look up all the history of it and see how much was changed.

Looking at the Rangers complete record book we actually played Darwen twice,that,s the team that signed the two scottish boys.
Jan.1st 1883 4-4 draw and Jan.2nd 1885 5-1 defeat both away from home.

An interesting programme and worth watching although it was all a bit stilted. If you're of the generation that bought comics every week think 'The Swots and the Blots' in period costume.
The luvvie trying to play Suter's da ( voilent alcoholic Glaswegian bully character) was also pretty comic but not in a good way.
Still, you've got to find something to watch these days!

Watched it all in a day, some great characters and storyline as said football quality was crap however think it is accurate of the time. Hope further series are made and then we get to see our giant of club feature

Watched it all in a day, some great characters and storyline as said football quality was crap however think it is accurate of the time. Hope further series are made and then we get to see our giant of club feature
Lol......any future season will no doubt feature the noble struggle to feed the poor and needy of a certain religion in the East end of Glasgow.

Back